MLSG :: Map contest [Archive] - UnrealTournament Siege, Bunnytrack, Combogib, Instagib, UT99, UT4 clan & Server Discussion

PDA

View Full Version : MLSG :: Map contest

Reb
08-24-2012, 02:10 AM
http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/3450/mlsgmaps.png

Hey Siege community.

What makes the Siege mod unique is it's wide breadth of interesting maps. Some maps are ports of IG, or CTF maps, and some are completely new maps made up by hard working mappers. Most or all of these maps fit to a certain clans style, or mappers style. What we want to see and are lacking, are competitive MLSG maps.

Introducing the MLSG Map contest.

Calling all siege mappers! Think you have what it takes to create the ultimate MLSG map? We are looking for the best siege map created to date, with an MLSG style flair. Should you win this map contest, your map will be featured as the first official MLSG map for future leagues and events. It will also be put on all MLSG pug and league related servers.

Any rules?

- We don't want to impose any rules on brilliant map-makers, but here are some guidelines that will help you win :

Don't make copies of existing maps
Try to limit the size, don't make it overtly large, or too small.
Try to make multiple and competitive entrances.
Think balance - for ex. if you wish to make a nuke room, make it accessible to "both" teams.
Be creative, add items that enhance the game, not slow it down.
Always have "competitive map" in your mind.
Build a competitive core room
Up to 3 maps allowed.

These are just some suggestions to think about!

You will have exactly 40 days to complete this map and submit it for evaluation. 40 days will start from when we have 4 enter.

OFFICIAL CUT OFF DATE : OCTOBER 10th 2012 11:59PM PST

How to submit?

By TBA 5PM EST , you will create a thread in the MLSG UK forums with the title "MLSG Map entry - MAPNAME".

Give us information into how and why you made the map
Post clear high quality screenshots (3 maximum).
Provide a download link with all required items.
Tell us why you think it should win the map contest.

Your map will be judged by selected MLSG players and will be voted on. The map receiving the most amount of votes from the judges will be the winner of the contest. Judges will only be able to pick one map. In the event of a tie, the judges will vote for the two in a TB.

This is your chance to create the best map Siege has seen to date.

If you want to enter, post here!

Mappers:
Zac
Clutch
Muffin
Crsk
Fluke

Good luck.

Higor
08-24-2012, 02:15 AM
Lol I already lost, my map only fits for 20+ players.

|uK|kenneth
08-24-2012, 10:44 AM
but your map is nice i like the items that you can get.

Moskva
08-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Got this map I made, called Face, pretty sure it will win... biggest competition will be Rays' Kanjar

'Zac
08-24-2012, 09:06 PM
MMMMMMMEEEEEE MEM MEMEMEME I WANT TO JOIN!!!!

Reb
08-26-2012, 01:19 AM
Time allotted has been increased to a month (approx)!

The goal of this contest is to push the community to produce an awesome map we can use in pugs, pubs, and leagues. We all encourage every mapper to sign up!

Gravity
08-26-2012, 02:24 AM
Im excited about this new map, Going to be interesting.

'Zac
08-26-2012, 01:08 PM
please put the official date when the month limit is over so i can put it done on my clock thing

«C|uTcH»
08-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Me and reb talked last night, Last i remember was:

You will have aprox month it will start when the contest gets 4 mappers, If im correct.

.seVered.][
08-26-2012, 09:19 PM
UM[=-Zac;37057']please put the official date when the month limit is over so i can put it done on my clock thing

Don't focus on the time LEFT! FOCUS on GETTING IT DONE!.. and visit here weekly (or everyother day) for updates.

Muffin
08-31-2012, 07:05 PM
Is it too late to join??

Reb
08-31-2012, 11:31 PM
Of course not, I'll add you to the list Muffin!

Muffin
09-01-2012, 04:11 AM
Can we submit multiple maps? Lol.

Reb
09-01-2012, 05:24 AM
Can we submit multiple maps? Lol.

yes! Just limit it to at most 3.

'Zac
09-01-2012, 10:45 AM
ok now u tell me -.-
at least in the post put " you can submit up to 3 maps ". now im mad D:<

audiosonic
09-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm making a map as well, can't guarantee that it will be as successful as Rays' map though

|uK|Rays
09-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Molly's map*

Reb
09-01-2012, 03:15 PM
ALRIGHT ITS OFFICIAL! THE CONTEST HAS OFFICIALLY BEGUN!!!!!

40 Days from now, submit your MAPS! OCTOBER 10, at 11:59PM PST is the cut off date!

GOOD LUCK.

'Zac
09-01-2012, 03:41 PM
should have said earlier you can make multiple maps. thanks a lot tho
and you never said anything about partners!!! freeze/rays wtf kind of competition is this

.seVered.][
09-09-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm offering hosting for debug and analysis of the build, maybe SAM would let us use the PUG server for a match demo.

Muffin
09-13-2012, 01:38 PM
[;38333']I'm offering complete security and protection if you want test your maps on my server before you submit them. So you can Troubleshoot and test for bugs.

I'd like to test two of my maps whenever possible please.

SAM
09-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Do you want to do testing online or offline?

|uK|B|aZe//.
09-13-2012, 03:40 PM
i think she wants to test it on severeds box server

Muffin
09-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Doesn't matter which server. Preferably offline.

SAM
09-14-2012, 01:14 PM
If offline...then you should pick some people you will send map to, in order to help you test :)

If online, you could easily start an online game on your PC and ask a few to join...

Reb
09-22-2012, 06:20 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img850/8691/mlsgmaps3moreweeks.png

Hello fellow map enthusiasts. We are 3 weeks away from seeing what could be the first MLSG suited map. If you're still interested in making the best siege map ever, there is still time to join! The general cutoff date is October 10th 2012 for map submissions. Please read the first post in this thread for details.

Some updates
- Contact .se\/ered.][ (http://www.unrealkillers.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=1743) to debug and test your map on a server.
- Upload to MLSG's SkyDrive if needed - (TBA)

][X][~FLuKE~][X][
09-28-2012, 05:51 AM
hmm....2 weeks left...put me down..;)

(happy now sev?...lol)

.seVered.][
09-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Will there be a period of "group" testing... seems there should be "stages" to this process...and the voting? who knows... I sure don't.

Reb
09-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Hey,

Mappers are free to test on servers they host or you are providing. I've pmed mappers individually updating them on the process. Those who are voting for maps are decided by me and will remain secret. I've seen 2 maps already and can let everyone know this is going to be exciting!

Welcome to the contest FLUKE! See your inbox.

'Zac
09-29-2012, 08:43 PM
we can send YOU REB maps???!!?! lol

Muffin
10-02-2012, 04:58 PM
How long after the deadline will judging take place?

kron
10-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Kron will gladly test any maps needed.
Already tested Zac's. Gonna be hard to beat that.

|uK|kenneth
10-03-2012, 05:40 AM
Kron will gladly test any maps needed.

really?

Disturbed//*.
10-03-2012, 06:37 PM
LOL- Made my day

@Reb How many more days left?

kron
10-03-2012, 10:50 PM
yeah I really liked Zac's map.
But I do have to tell him some changes that should be made and some fixes.

Reb
10-05-2012, 02:15 AM
Hey everyone,

As stated in the original post, October 11th is the deadline.
If you need a place to upload your map, please pm me and I'll get you setup with our SkyDrive account.

Judging will take place for around 2 weeks after the deadline.

Please remember the requirements for posting:

you will create a thread in the MLSG UK forums with the title "MLSG Map entry - MAPNAME".

Give us information into how and why you made the map
Post clear high quality screenshots (3 maximum).
Provide a download link with all required items.
Tell us why you think it should win the map contest.
Opt: provide a video of the map!

Good luck!

SAM
10-05-2012, 10:48 AM
You can upload the maps here as attachments in your post. I will setup moderation for the attachments to prevent downloading if needed.

Pie
10-05-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing all the maps. HoF had a map contest a year ago or so, and it was awesome to see what people could come up with.

The was for RX, and this is for Siege, so it'll be interesting to see all of it.

Are you only having set judges do the judging? Or will you also have a public poll on the forum? I think seeing what a majority of the players like would be interesting, but I can understand it might be biased as well. You could always do the poll for "fun" so it won't actually count towards who will win. Just an idea. =-P

Reb
10-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks to those who have posted their maps by the deadline!

In case anyone still has a map and just could not post, please do by October 11th at the latest.

Instructions for judging to those interested will go out on October 12th so please keep an eye on your inbox's Judges!

'Zac
10-11-2012, 05:01 PM
i think its kinda unfair that muffen would put in 3 maps that he/she made in the past instead of making them from scratch DURING the competition >:(

.seVered.][
10-11-2012, 05:32 PM
UM[=-Zac;41236']i think its kinda unfair that muffen would put in 3 maps that he/she made in the past instead of making them from scratch DURING the competition >:(

Welcome to the real world kid... Life isn't fair, but this is. Submitted map is a submitted map. The contest rules did not state "FROM SCRATCH", read the rules.

'Zac
10-11-2012, 05:35 PM
well it doesnt say post 6 screenshots with a 4 minute video attached to it!!! im the only one that made the entire thing fair i posted 3 screens with only 1 map made during the competition, and i didnt want a video cause i didnt have time.

Muffin
10-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Rules said I could post up to 3 maps, so I took advantage of that. I didn't just post three maps I had made in the past, aside from Paradise Valley, I had some major editing and fixing to do. I started Paradise Valley about two months ago, and for a while it was ready to submit, but something told me I shouldn't submit it, and so I didn't. About a month later, I see this contest was up, so I just kinda took advantage of that, lol.

'Zac
10-11-2012, 05:46 PM
people are posting like 6 screenshots on there maps and 3 minute vids like crsk which u cant only 3 ss and 1 minute max video. i have to say...shit contest

.seVered.][
10-11-2012, 06:32 PM
UM[=-Zac;41248']people are posting like 6 screenshots on there maps and 3 minute vids like crsk which u cant only 3 ss and 1 minute max video. i have to say...shit contest

Now, Now, don't be so critical... you MAY still have a chance to win... their maps are falling like FLIES. Don't under rate your chances before the maps are even played! ok!

][X][~FLuKE~][X][
10-11-2012, 07:11 PM
wow, chill zac, its meant to be more about fun and adding new maps to seige, dont be so competative, this why you had a dig in my thread about the amount of screenshots?

bit of friendly banter and rivalry is always good if done in a fun manner, but you are going a bit over the top about this, its a fun competition, dont be so serious about it.

100 screenshots and an hour video wont win, the playability of the map is what will be judged, not screenshots or videos.

'Zac
10-11-2012, 07:18 PM
wow what a comeback im speechless....good point lol xD

Higor
10-12-2012, 02:00 AM
Oh god the campfest, take lessons in weapon balancing guys.

And you guys complained of a little mid mountain sniper in Outworld...

--- Updated ---

And the usual hitscan nerds will rage at me for this comment.

|uK|B|aZe//.
10-12-2012, 09:05 PM
dont get mad dont get mean, who said i need a hitscan weapon? :p

][X][~FLuKE~][X][
10-12-2012, 09:23 PM
so what does the winner get as a prize?

say "pride" or something equally as lame and i start a lawsuit for unfair usage of the word "competition".. :P

Shotman
10-12-2012, 10:11 PM
the prize is a 20% discount from KFC for an order of chicken dicks AND have dinner with grim.

.seVered.][
10-13-2012, 01:12 AM
[X][~FLuKE~][X][_{HoF};41336']so what does the winner get as a prize?

say "pride" or something equally as lame and i start a lawsuit for unfair usage of the word "competition".. :P

LOL, how about a "trophy texture" like a Winner, MLSG 2012 image overlapping a |uK| Logo underneath plastered in each core room.

Reb
10-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Hey everyone!

Just an update - The judges have been selected and judging is commencing throughout this week. It's completely secret so please don't ask!

We'll have a vote on Saturday October 20th, which will decide the winning MLSG Map!

Stay tuned next week!

Thanks again!

|uK|Grimreaper
10-14-2012, 02:05 AM
no list of the judges ?
i bet noobs are judges -.-

SAM
10-14-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm sure it's not noobs.

|uK|B|aZe//.
10-14-2012, 12:31 PM
its not noobs there are some really good map judges thats all i can say

|uK|Grimreaper
10-14-2012, 02:55 PM
hmm roger

.seVered.][
10-14-2012, 07:01 PM
no list of the judges ?
i bet noobs are judges -.-

Privacy and Discretion is of the utmost importance for judges... wouldn't want many payoffs and bribes being discussed? This way there is no harassment and nagging of the judges. All judges have completed the
'I can be bribed' classes offered at PayMeOff University.

mal
10-15-2012, 10:29 AM
i like the paradise map allot.
its a mix of blackriver/hillforts and some spices from minicivilwar.
i would like to see it bigger since big is always better dispite what they tell you on the news...

][X][~FLuKE~][X][
10-15-2012, 10:55 AM
can we make edits to our maps before judging takes place?

Crsk
10-15-2012, 06:52 PM
[X][~FLuKE~][X][_{HoF};41560']can we make edits to our maps before judging takes place?

same question I have, I start my map few days before deadline so I think my map have too much things to improve, change and fix

][X][~FLuKE~][X][
10-15-2012, 07:01 PM
i had a bug that needed fixing which is done now and copy sent to SAM, guess i just have to wait.

SAM
10-15-2012, 07:03 PM
I supose bug fixes are allowed but please wait for an offiial answer

'Zac
10-15-2012, 07:58 PM
i also needed to fix a bug and relink, i relinked on the post and sent it to sam

][X][~FLuKE~][X][
10-15-2012, 10:00 PM
I supose bug fixes are allowed but please wait for an offiial answer

if the answer is no i will be pulling out because my map as it is has a bug where core can be wiped out with two neutrons built into the core window, which should not happen due to how the window is made which makes me very unhappy with it, which means you can put the copy i sent you on the server then remove me from the comp if we cant revise them.

technically we should be allowed to make simple edits to maps where we are happy as long as it doesnt alter the structure of the map and layout, like a revision testing time.(well one's like mine where I didnt have much time left before the deadline to build it).

|uK|Melted_Ice
10-15-2012, 10:46 PM
no i am pulling for that map to win lol let him fix the window

Crsk
10-15-2012, 11:15 PM
I think technically we should be allowed to make simple edits to maps where we are happy as long as it doesnt alter the structure of the map...

SAM
10-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Soneone call reb to the thread then!

Reb

Higor
10-16-2012, 12:46 PM
I designed into the test XC_Siege_r2 package a build blocker, it specifies volumes where builds will fail to construct.
Useful to prevent maps like Braveheart from ending in a lame way.

I'm using those volumes to prevent buildings from being created inside invisible mover collision hulls.

][X][~FLuKE~][X][
10-16-2012, 02:17 PM
now that would be welcome by all mappers, windows are much easier using movers or you can shoot between the glass and wall like the ceiling in mcswartzly.

'Zac
10-16-2012, 03:53 PM
[X][~FLuKE~][X][_{HoF};41665']To show what i felt needed to be done for me to be happy with this map.

window for core completely rebuilt with the addition of relocating the second transparent wall almost against the core window, tested and neutrons can no longer be built into the glass

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/alienFLuKE/A2.png

Every map played there was camping snipers killing people as they came out of spawn pods, i added these simple walls to stop the sniper spam (was going to do that originally but forgot)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/alienFLuKE/A1.png

fixed a few textures that i missed, all in all it took me about 10 minutes to do all of this, so no great deal spent on it, at least by me adding screenshots you can understand what i mean by making small changes.

I think all the mappers who entered this are humble and wanted to add not only new maps to the community, but also to enter a competition for some entertainment for those watching and craving new maps to play on. :)

did u fix the textures on the side of the stair case in mid? o.o

][X][~FLuKE~][X][
10-16-2012, 05:08 PM
there is nothing to fix zac, its meant to be like that so it matches the pillars, we already had this conversation.

'Zac
10-16-2012, 06:08 PM
ok fine. your stair cases are ugly

SAM
10-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Zac your map is not working on the server. There are no packages missing...it just does not work...

.seVered.][
10-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Zac your map is not working on the server. There are no packages missing...it just does not work...

Hmmm. That's a shame. Wonder why I can load it on the TestServer with no errors? I thought for sure it was a package error.

SAM
10-16-2012, 07:56 PM
I'll have a closer look tomorrow...

Shotman
10-16-2012, 09:17 PM
sev let sam borrow your glasses.

][X][~FLuKE~][X][
10-16-2012, 11:37 PM
if you mean epicapes, i put it in a vanilla UT and got "failed to spawn actor" then i opened it in Ued and it ran fine.

check playerstarts zac and make sure one isnt outside the map world, also whats with the special event trigger linked to playerstarts? i wouldnt do that if i was you.

SAM
10-17-2012, 02:12 AM
I think time to check the .u to see what it dies...

][X][~FLuKE~][X][
10-17-2012, 08:33 AM
The .u is decoration, tree's etc. so not likely to be that. (i looked over the script and it seems fine for each class)

i checked it again several times today and it loaded fine over and over and played ok, i even summoned 100 bots to make sure there wasnt a defect playerstart. Its nothing obvious, thats for sure.

strange i got the "failed to spawn actor" the first time i ran it and now it loads no problem, weird issue.

SAM
10-17-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm going to test this tonight on pug and see what the issue is.

][X][~FLuKE~][X][
10-17-2012, 04:21 PM
think i know what it is and would explain it being so random, zac needs to remove the special event actor which is linked to the playerstarts, this could be the "failed to spawn actor" is coming from, apart from that , i couldnt find any problems in the map.

CrashingCami
10-17-2012, 10:20 PM
Zac stop hating :]

'Zac
10-18-2012, 06:42 PM
im disliking because i dont want to reply saying no there are no special events connected to the playerstarts * epic facepalm *

Reb
10-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Yes, edits are allowed to be made. The criteria that the judges will be looking for are overarching.

Judging ends this Saturday.

* sorry for the late reply, I don't usually check UT99/irc related stuff until Friday evening when I'm working.

][X][~FLuKE~][X][
10-19-2012, 09:00 AM
im disliking because i dont want to reply saying no there are no special events connected to the playerstarts * epic facepalm *

then point that out because looking in the editor it looks that way from top view.

I was putting in the effort to help solve your problem you had to get your map up and running, your response to that help certainly doesnt make me feel like helping you with anything again.

i am glad the problem is fixed and your map is up and running now.

'Zac
10-19-2012, 11:27 AM
ok fluke, thanks tho but its fine the lines are going to the triggers TO THE special event for the lazers tthat kill you

Crsk
10-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Hi Reb beautiful day, no?

.seVered.][
10-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Hi Reb beautiful day, no?

LOL, are you expecting it to be one Crsk? I do...

--- Updated ---

ok fluke, thanks tho but its fine the lines are going to the triggers TO THE special event for the lazers tthat kill you

How are you gonna do special triggers if you can't get the teleport rotation right?

Disturbed//*.
10-20-2012, 05:59 PM
[;41995']How are you gonna do special triggers if you can't get the teleport rotation right? Very true.

Reb
10-20-2012, 11:54 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img69/5977/mlsgmap2.png

Stay tuned..

Muffin
10-20-2012, 11:59 PM
Does this mean 2 23/11 won?

Crsk
10-21-2012, 12:18 AM
2012 ?

(why cant put dislike to my post?)

Disturbed//*.
10-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Don't "What is 2 23/11" Reb isn't gonna tell. :(
Save your words. :)

Muffin
10-21-2012, 12:44 AM
I was being sarcastic, lol. I just want to know who won.

Crsk
10-21-2012, 12:56 AM
day 2, month 23, year 2011? no waut that date has expired and dont exist... how to can expire if dont exist? maybe is a secret code for another secret thing
I want to know who won too

2.23/11
10-21-2012, 01:14 AM
So, I win? OMG cant believe!! :D

Muffin
10-21-2012, 01:19 AM
Congrats! :D

HIGH[+]AdRiaN
10-21-2012, 01:54 AM
there will be another edition? I was not patiently for use the UED on this season but now i wanna to join (:

Chamberly
10-21-2012, 03:58 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img69/5977/mlsgmap2.png

Stay tuned..

I swear these kind of image remind me of the new Win 8 design.

.seVered.][
10-21-2012, 04:48 PM
It's from the new microsoft layouts and design for a multiplatform displays. Automatically determines if your on a Tablet, PC, SmartPhone, OBGYN, or Synaptic Interface. and adjusts it accordingly. Slick and fast. LowRez is making a comeback. Next they'll be selling EGA monitors for 10 Grand. I prefered GrayScale myself.

SAM
10-21-2012, 05:10 PM
It's just a bland coloured background with white lettering. But simplicity seems to be making a comeback after all the over zealous and unecessary cluttered "prettyness"

Reb
10-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Hey MLSG Mappers!

Some news:

The voting is ending tonight (Tuesday) the 23rd of October.

Stay tuned early next week for the winner.

'Zac
10-25-2012, 04:34 PM
just curious on who will win, all such good maps

Crsk
10-28-2012, 11:25 PM
something tells me what zac patience is running out, so if you don't want to see an angry zac just publish the results! (:

Disturbed//*.
10-29-2012, 07:05 PM
I Heard Last week there were gonna say who winner is.

And this winner is.....

'Zac
10-29-2012, 07:43 PM
ITS TOMMOROW OMG JUST SAY WHO IT IS!!!!

ps - putting the maps on the public isnt a good idea. my map is for 5v5 ONLY thats just what i made it for not 12 v 12 or public size.

][X][~FLuKE~][X][
10-29-2012, 08:36 PM
I know who won.... :P

Crsk
10-29-2012, 08:38 PM
I have cold, I'll go get me a sweater

|uK|fleecey
10-29-2012, 08:39 PM
[X][~FLuKE~][X][_{HoF};42815']I know who won.... :P

Yeah me!

Crsk
10-29-2012, 08:47 PM
][X][~McFly~][X][_{HoF};42815']I know who won.... :P

who is

kron
10-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Reb failed this past weekend in revealing the winner.
oops.

][X][~FLuKE~][X][
10-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Yeah me!

you ruined it fleece!!! :P

Muffin
10-30-2012, 08:20 AM
Congrats Fleece :-)

'Zac
10-30-2012, 07:25 PM
OOMFG IS IT MEME!??!?!

.seVered.][
11-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Yes, Muffin's map is tailored for MLSG, ra ra ra... but who WON the contest?