PDA

View Full Version : The collapse of the Known Universe

.seVered.][
02-02-2013, 08:07 PM
What a weird day. I update the S3TC textures and it was gorgeous, perfect and smoother than ever before. Then... in a sudden and furious flash from an unknown origin... it all vanished. Check out my BatchVember screen shot.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g457/ChanClan66/Development/UnrealKillers/Shot0012_zps55f50576.jpg

'Zac
02-02-2013, 09:25 PM
delete your UT now its eating it from the inside

Higor
02-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Stop botting sev

Banny
02-02-2013, 11:46 PM
go home Textures ,you are drunk!

Shotman
02-03-2013, 02:11 AM
clearly your computer had a little too many with the vodka in your desk

Keith
02-03-2013, 07:02 AM
This happens when UseS3TC is on False.

|uK|kenneth
02-03-2013, 08:18 AM
its not that bad:p

Dr.Flay
02-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Your config has changed or reset.
As already pointed out check the renderer setting and make sure that compressed textures are enabled, and also that you are still using a new renderer D3D9+ or GL.
The defaults are not ideal and should always be tweaked for your system.

*TIP*
Instead of opening the main INI file with a text editor, either;
1) if in UT already, hit the "TAB" key and type "preferences". you can edit the settings from a comfortable interface.
2) if UT is not running, it is quicker to run UEd, and access the "Advanced Options" window from the "View" menu.
3) if you install "Oldskool Amp'd" you will have the "Advanced Options" as a menu item.

I have also made some config edits that you may want, so UT shows you some sensible info from the driver selection window.
Get Oldskool from Your Unreal - Unreal (http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/blog/unreal)
Get the replacement configs from UT99.org | Edited int files for advanced tweaking (BENEFITS ALL USERS) : Tips, Tricks & Tutorials - Page 2 (http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3625&start=15)

Lee_Stricklin
02-04-2013, 12:12 PM
That happens when S3TC gets disabled. More often than not, your game also crashes when that happens.

.seVered.][
02-05-2013, 04:43 AM
its not that bad:p

LOL, I was thinking the same thing...

Neff
02-06-2013, 06:23 PM
That happens when S3TC gets disabled. More often than not, your game also crashes when that happens.

The night I told Severed about S3TC Textures our UT's looked better than ever before, and I got mine to run perfect. Woke up and it wasn't running smoth anymore some settings appeared to have been changed for both of us. =/

Dr.Flay
02-06-2013, 06:53 PM
I have links to the High-Res S3TC Textures replacements, if you want to up-grade your texture packs (including one of Creavion's awesome jungle maps).
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/blog/unreal-tournament

*NOTE*
You will need to enable S3TC and have the recent renderers to enjoy Creavions up-coming mapping treat.

...Ooops, have I "let a cat out of a hi-res-textured-bag?" hehe.
Stay tuned, there is something classic, being re-build Creavion-style.

.seVered.][
02-06-2013, 07:40 PM
The night I told Severed about S3TC Textures our UT's looked better than ever before, and I got mine to run perfect. Woke up and it wasn't running smoth anymore some settings appeared to have been changed for both of us. =/

I think I found the problem with my textures.. JAVA Exploit. I had a hijacker present on my system (from another user probably), and I had 18 infected files with this java exploit presesnt. I think it's about time I just dump JAVA completely. Tired of getting hijackers.

Lee_Stricklin
02-07-2013, 01:26 AM
[;51564']I think I found the problem with my textures.. JAVA Exploit. I had a hijacker present on my system (from another user probably), and I had 18 infected files with this java exploit presesnt. I think it's about time I just dump JAVA completely. Tired of getting hijackers.

Everyone in IT to my knowledge is advising against having any form of Java runtime environments on your system due to security issues. Also, I haven't seen too many things that use it anymore, in fact I think it's been like 2 or 3 years since I last needed it.

.seVered.][
02-07-2013, 01:23 PM

Ya, I could have sworn the S3TC textures were installed with my Anthology CD of UT. But I guess not. Java is dumped from every system now and and I feel much safer.

Dr.Flay
02-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Part of Java's security problem is the default settings are crap.
You can tell it not to store temp files and switch on a load more security.

Recently I have also noticed that it not been updating, so no fixes had been done.
Many peoples Java is stuck around 7.5 - 7.7
During the big scare last week, you should have been on 7.10.
7.11 had the fix.

In totally automatic update mode, you wouldn't know it hadn't updated.
Windows hides icons you don't look at much and many people don't see the icon (same for the Windows Update icon).
Automatic is great...if it works.
Have Java notify you, if you use it. And always update immediately a notification appears.

The best way to use it if you have to, is not have it running.
Copy an installation and un-install.
You can then point the software that may require it (eg. Open Office) at the folder.
You can use it in an offline way.

On a related theme.
It occurs to me Chrome users have no way of knowing if their browser is infected or uptodate, as there is no notification available (other than the PC slowing as google updater robs half the CPU and 200+MB RAM), and so no notification if it failed.