PDA

View Full Version : newnet unplayable

frog
03-26-2013, 12:38 PM
hi just my think and would like to know if people feel same about this newnet crap ?
it was perfect with zp !!!
off course zp get few bugs newnet have some too but its really laggy and sometimes shots don't register

could u make 1 server newnet and one zp like that ppl who like newnet play newnet and zp lovers bugs could still play zp thx cheers

][X][~FLuKE~][X][
03-26-2013, 01:39 PM
I have noticed a lot lately massive ping spikes and server wide packet loss, i have screen shots of every time it happens, it can last from 5 minutes to over an hour, most shots dont register or you hit someone and they dont die until 2-3 seconds later.

Keith
03-26-2013, 01:46 PM
is tr 100? tim said something that newnet doesnt work fine if tickrate is not set to 100 on GU.

Feralidragon
03-26-2013, 03:07 PM
is tr 100? tim said something that newnet doesnt work fine if tickrate is not set to 100 on GU.
Probably because it uses lag compensation instead.
That would explain shots not registering with lower tickrates (since with lower tickrates, the original player positions have to be predicted more often, resulting in shots not registering at all).

Higor
03-26-2013, 03:16 PM
...which is why, interpolating between registered positions instead of picking the closest marker works on any tickrate.

UT-Sniper-SJA94
03-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Screw zp, that unplayable, laggy, 5 hits one kill, can't dodge UT bug... i mean mod:o.
Zp will just make the servers crap again.

Feralidragon
03-26-2013, 03:27 PM
...which is why, interpolating between registered positions instead of picking the closest marker works on any tickrate.
It's not that easy...
This is the same problem electronic engineers face when using digital oscilloscopes. Since digital oscilloscopes only get samples of a signal, there are potential small signals they won't ever catch and interpolation doesn't help.
In the same way, if the server tickrate is too low, since UT is so fast paced with dodging and all, interpolation may indicate a past position that in fact wasn't the true position of a player, since interpolation only works perfectly with linear translations, which isn't the case with UT.
To not mention that the player positions are predicted already in the server a lot.
This is why the tickrate has to be as high as possible, so it gets as many samples of the players position as possible to reduce the error margin, that's why lag compensation tends to only work properly with higher tickrates.

Games like CoD and any ADS ones tend to be slower paced and don't have dodging abilities, hence interpolation works much better for them rather than for fast paced games like UT or even Tribes (which I think doesn't even use hitscan because of that).

~~D4RR3N~~
03-26-2013, 07:21 PM
potato is right. zp is very crappy! If you're laggy, zp makes you MORE laggy, making frags register 4 secs later after you shot your oponnent, or not even register your frag at all!
newnet is rally nice, and that delay registering shots? it doenst happen ALL the time, just sometimes...

SAM
03-26-2013, 07:39 PM
When I checked server seemed fine....

I don't agree with 100 tick for various reasons and I can explain why some other time.

UNrealshots
03-26-2013, 09:14 PM
TimTim wrote:There is also no reliable way to lower the tickrate in newnet without limiting players' framerates. If you want 30 tick in newnet, you would either have to 1) limit your framerate to 30 fps or 2) accept a high number of "duds" or 3) accept shots going straight through enemy players.

newnet has to run @ 100tickrate to run right(as TIMTIM says). US server is laggy it ran good when tr was @ 100 -> or it could be due to the random ping spiking going on in the US and UK I'll get back to you on that ill run some tracerts today and tomorrow.

Higor
03-26-2013, 09:21 PM
SAM, you can always profile the server and see if it has enough CPU power to run at 100 frames per second, all it takes is a single command.

UT-Sniper-SJA94
03-27-2013, 12:15 AM
Has it been 65tr since newnet was put back on the server, i was wondering why it didn't feel as good the first time newnet was on the server.

SAM
03-27-2013, 03:24 AM
It has been 65tick since I put it back on.

SAM
03-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Well to add to my last post. The servers have always been 65 TR.

frog
03-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Well to add to my last post. The servers have always been 65 TR.
so u have set 65 or 100 ticket rate sam?
actually its perfect for ppl who have 200 or 300 ping easy kills but for low ping ouch :confused:

SAM
03-27-2013, 07:26 PM
The servers have always been 65 tickrate. Still are. I hope that's clear :D