PDA

View Full Version : Siege Suggestion: Compass, Communication Relay, Sweep Visor

Scourge
04-27-2013, 06:20 PM
FIRST OFF: Add a universal compass to the Siege HUD, a la Deus Ex 1 (shame on you if you haven't played this game). This should help players navigate maps that don't have good location zoning. It also ties in with the suggestions that are to follow.

Second, the substance of this suggestion. Many veterans had a problem with the Motion Detector and Nuke Siren, claiming that it took the effort out of good defense, intelligence-gathering, and communication on the part of teams that built them. To an extent, I agree - However, this leaves beset teams with three alternatives for communicating what they CAN see or hear, and each of them carry their own disadvantages.

Teamspeak:
- Pro: Great program, can provide quick, precise info on the battlefield
- Not newbie-friendly, can be a hassle - Requires teamspeak installation
- Not everyone uses teamspeak even after installed, in fact most do not

Macro binds:
- Pro: Fast
- Not newbie-friendly either, also asks that players make dedicated binds for siege only
- Lacks precision of location

Manual Typing:
- Slow
- Paralyzes player
- Often imprecise
- Makes typing speed relevant to gameplay, bad for obvious reasons

Common flaws in all:
- May not relay as much information as may be needed in a short enough time
- Language barriers

My alternative is a building called the Communication Relay. It enables an option in the constructor that will allow players to relay important information to their teammates quickly and in the other teammates' native languages. Binds obviously make this faster. Whether this should be automatic or not is open for discussion here.

For example, Player A and B are on the same team. Player A speaks English, while Player B speaks Spanish. Player A sees Player C using a Translocator in his field of view. The Communication Relay is up and Player A broadcasts a message, "incoming enemy with translocator," to Player B. Player B sees this message in Spanish in addition to the general location of the sighting - Northwest, above or below, and pace-distance from the receiving player. More specific information about who or what the object is will be broadcast if the player has the enemy in their sights.

In addition to any sighted object, the Communication Relay will automatically pick the most important-seeming object in the player's field of view for broadcast - If there are multiple important objects, like several nukers inbound, the message might be "2-3 high-priority/highly mobile enemies inbound, with the general locations of these enemies given. Middle powerups and high-priority buildings like mines and teleports can also be reported.

Important "heard" events might be used as well, like an enemy picking up a nuke or putting on invisibility.

The message feed should probably be in a separate interface from the normal chat to avoid clutter and also let players turn it on or off.

Building Details:
Name: Communication Relay
Cost and Upgrade Cost: 1500 + 100, 200, 300, 400, 500
Description: Allows quick and specific information relay over a certain fixed radius
Upgrade description: Each upgrade adds an additional target to possible listings and expands the radius of the Relay

== LAZY - WILL TALK ABOUT SWEEP VISOR LATER ==

~~D4RR3N~~
04-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Building Details:
Name: Communication Relay
Cost and Upgrade Cost: 1500 + 100, 200, 300, 400, 500
Description: Allows quick and specific information relay over a certain fixed radius
Upgrade description: Each upgrade adds an additional target to possible listings and expands the radius of the Relay
This is just one of the worst ideas I've ever heard...

Shotman
04-27-2013, 09:31 PM
First off agree with darren, second it is just going to gey fucking annoying and will be more annoying then people spamming binds, taunts and ect. I don't have time reading shit even if it helps the team, I believe most people agree on this. Also most, well i should say all , are mirrored if you know how your base is then you are good to know how the enemy base is but it will just be too much for the hud and its ideal if the core health is on top like in 2k4.

evilserpentman
04-27-2013, 11:26 PM
I don't think this is a good idea at all.

We had enough clutter with Motion Alarms and Nuke Sirens as it was, spamming the screen with information that most wouldn't be able to use seems a bit ridiculous.
Whilst getting over the language barrier would be indeed handy, I don't think this is the way to do it at all.

On top of that, I'm sure it would be a coding nightmare.

Scourge
04-28-2013, 01:00 AM
Compass, at least? ._.

Severed had done something like this without a structure - he was telling everyone where enemies were coming from, almost like he had a radar. It didn't clutter too much and was actually really useful in defending Kanjar.

Chamberly
04-28-2013, 01:10 AM
When I saw this I was thinking of a map and u can see your team players. lol... well nvm that do include map implemention as well i think... (grabbing image of the map then display it.) Kinda like jail break if any of you played it...

Shotman
04-28-2013, 01:48 AM
kanjar is a bad example because it is a small map and it is most likely any teamates would have seen the enemy coming not just severed. A better example could be blackriver or outworld. But still it would just be annoying seeing a bunch of shit on the console or chatbox where most likely people would just abuse it.
For the compass it will be useless i don't see it why add it on since most people will just ignore it.

evilserpentman
04-28-2013, 02:06 AM
When I saw this I was thinking of a little 2D hud on the bottom left of the screen somewhere, showing the map and your team players. lol... well nvm that do include map implemention as well i think... (grabbing image of the map then display it.)

I have seen this on a Japanese server. I wasn't sold on it though, it took up space and it only told you about a few players.

Scourge, the reason it worked with Severed is because he could think for himself. Having a set line of coding to do the same thing could prove unreliable. Also, the compass on Deus Ex works because we need a direction to go in a not-so-linear level. However, a compass in a arena game in a comparatively linear setting is a bit unnecessary.

|uK|B|aZe//.
04-28-2013, 11:35 AM
whats the use of a compass?

never used it in school why start now?

SAM
04-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Don't introduce a radar please....

Muffin
04-29-2013, 02:58 AM
I think it's a good idea, but it shouldn't be something you have to buy. I remember there was a guy from RB that was making an all new siege and did something with what looks like the taunt system;
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu265/peskydan/Shot0139.jpg
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu265/peskydan/Shot0156.jpg

Higor
04-29-2013, 03:43 AM
I remember those custom message menues for CS 1.5 and Half-Life, impractical as fuck.
They died pretty quickly when Steam introduced the voice communication ingame.

UT taunts do some of the job, it's just that maps could really use some more location ID's so that teammates can actually see where the message sender is.

BONZ
04-29-2013, 09:26 AM
I really like your idea of a communication relay, but think some of the critics may be right about its potential for abuse. Law of unintended consequences n stuff, which is a real shame because used properly, it'd be brilliant.

Not buying the idea of a radar or compass.

It takes a lot for the UT crowd to buy an idea. Sometimes I feel like those who have ideas are on 'Dragons Den' trying to sell 30% of their business for too much money. Bunch of grumpy, tight arsed, Donald Trump MFers reside here.

|uK|B|aZe//.
04-29-2013, 11:09 AM
yeah! only im allowed to have one!

Shotman
04-29-2013, 02:46 PM
UT taunts do some of the job, it's just that maps could really use some more location ID's so that teammates can actually see where the message sender is.

That is just an easy fix and takes 5-15 min to do so depending the size of the map.

The reason that i don't like the idea is
a) compass is useless and don't need it.
b) if you are using UT taunts it is most likely people have disabled it because people are just abusing it so imagine how it is with words having to read while you are getting killed.
c) Why do you have to pay for something that can be made free in your user.ini
d)There are so many languages that you have to translated not just english and spanish (french, japanese,chinese, portuguese, italian, russian, ect)

e) so many things will be on the screen (compass,ammo, chatbox, hud, weapon list, weapon, time, core level, ru) why do you want to add more?

'Zac
04-29-2013, 04:02 PM
I think it's a good idea, but it shouldn't be something you have to buy. I remember there was a guy from RB that was making an all new siege and did something with what looks like the taunt system;
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu265/peskydan/Shot0139.jpg
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu265/peskydan/Shot0156.jpg

that looks like a good idea with the screenshots you posted, it allows quick messaging - without binds or mic! and it even looks cool compared to our little white letters
EDIT: this would be good for pug players w/o mics