What do you hate most of siege? [Archive] - UnrealTournament Siege, Bunnytrack, Combogib, Instagib, UT99, UT4 clan & Server Discussion

PDA

View Full Version : What do you hate most of siege?

Shotman
10-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Since there is a topic about the likes, how about the dislikes. This will hopefully help Higor see issues and try to get them fixed. Also please provide a brief explanation of why is it an issue or how can it be improve.

Higor
10-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Pushed and need to think outside of the box? Too bad, your extra firepower is gone, build nukes and die to sniper camping your supplier.

Someone on your team made an extremely good tele? You have nothing to deal quick damage, make rocket cannons and watch them die to super protectors.

Need to get rid of that annoying defensive cluster between you and your goal? Mid won't help you anymore, build a nuke and die to a mine in front of said cluster.

Wanna fly your way to enemy base? Get shot down in less than a second, accuse of ZP bug and post on forum to increase web traffic for a couple of days.

Game starts and you want to leech the core? Watch as someone on the other team gets 10 kills in a row with a 25 ammo enforcer.

Simplex taking too long to end? Don't worry, it will take twice as long when I nerf the Translocator even more!

Let the monotony begin!

|uK|kenneth
10-05-2013, 08:30 PM
lol

'Zac
10-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Some of the rules and maps. Most of the rules are overlap each other and are not at all accurate ( like whether you hit the supplier with sup spam and if the core is getting attacked and if anyone was in the supplier and how many were in it the sup etc ). The maps need to many specifics ( the core cant be too open or too closed( fucking minicivil ) or too hard or too easy to get to, spawns need to be in a specific place, places for specific things, SPs, supplier, supercontainer, nukes/nukerooms, the base cant have a lot of entrances, 2 or 3 at most too many causes chaos, mid needs to have a unique placement) so yeah

PNutButterSnake
10-05-2013, 09:51 PM
As for the game play:
-----------------------
1) The apparent randomness of super boosters. I don't know what the deal is, but sometimes the same booster will throw you an extra 150 feet, even though your basic approach was virtually identical. Of course, you can dodge into them or whatever, but I'm talking about very carefully seeking to duplicate the same approach, yet getting WILDLY different results. Whatever the super booster is doing to interpret your initial velocity, it's scaling up the minuscule differences way too much somehow. Last night, on Black River, I built a SB from a side hill into the enemy base. When shooting in there, I steered myself to the same exact area (on top of their big house), and sometimes it would just take off some health as I landed. Other times, it would crater me. And there was nothing apparently different about the flight there at all (didn't slide into mountain wall or anything). Just so random.
2) Not really a Siege thing in particular, but I really wish we had two different hit sounds: one for hitting enemies, and another for when you boost your own team. That would really help a lot to reduce accidental boosting.
3) Nukes are virtually impossible to stop with most anything other than shock combos. Actually tested this one extensively in slow motion to confirm it, as well as in a leech game with another player (forgot who now). Even direct, head-on hits with minigun, etc, are almost always useless dud shots. Ever wonder why you can't shoot down nukes even if you did your due diligence and had great awareness and aim? It's not the lag per se since even on a local game in freaking slow motion it doesn't work. Funny thing is, I distinctly remember this working and did it *all the time* in UT in the old days. Not sure if it's a 436 problem or something.
4) I'm constantly dying from delayed splash damage to the enemy core hitting me in the face as I run up to it. Like, I'll shoot rockets or slime, THEN run toward it to place an rc, and die. Even though I've seen the splash hit before this. Grrrr.
5) Teles and their crazy rotations. Sometimes you have to re-enter the tele like 5 times from different ways before you come out on the other side in a way that isn't stupid. I assume that's the from the direction the person placing it was in while doing so?
6) Combos don't seem to do much damage. I guess it's all the shielding in Siege (?). Unless someone has take a lot of damage already, chances are that a well-placed seires of combos will simply result in your own death, instead of theirs, as they laugh right through it.

As for map design:
-----------------------
1) Can't stand maps with vast vertical attack trajectories on the core. It seems like the best maps give a SLIGHT high ground advantage to the defense (think Orbital), whereas the worst maps have multiple ridiculously-hard-to-defend vertical entry points that are just plum awkward (think Neighbors, and also various November-inspired maps with high core tele possibilities). The reason I don't like such maps is that they are highly biased towards certain kinds of players who tend to have either very good connections and fast PCs (or possibly even that pay-for aimbot). They get a lot of RU early on, sneak into your base (or often, they are actually spotted but can't be killed), build a tele, and end the game early. This essential destroys the game for everyone else, eliminating most of the other aspects of Siege.
2) Tele spots that are virtually unassailable without a massive amount of coordinated effort from your team (which refuses to give it often) and/or nukes AND that are practically (or actually) in your base. Not really good design imo, especially because early in the game, you don't have nukes to use :P.

As for players:
-----------------------
1) The "Elite" attitude of some players that think they are more important than everyone else and always seek to make the rules or whatever favor their particular style and their particular resources. That's more of a community thing in general. Been like that in UT in general for a few years. A special variety of this the Attacker-bias that some people have: that the game should be designed to favor attackers, that the rules should be designed to favor them, that the same actions taken by attackers vs. defenders get interpreted differently (for example, one player was spawn camping my team in Bathrooms at a distance early in the game, so I went up and took a SINGLE SHOT from the soap dish, and immediately he accuses me of camping). Another example is sniper-whores who disparage other weapons or maps that are better balanced for other weapons (or even all weapons). To me, all different kinds of playing styles are useful/interesting/valuable.
2) Many of these "elites" are good, no doubt, but the main reason they are untouchable is that they are literally untouchable due to incredibly choppiness in their movement. It's not their dodging skills that is the problem. It's the fact that the server can't seem to keep up with them and they chop about disappearing and reappearing elsewhere constantly. Or maybe they are using some other networking trick to accomplish this. Not sure. Then they nuke your core and you can't stop jack sh*t even if you see them a mile away, simply because of this. In UT CTF, I would regularly tele-frag players by sniping their tele discs in mid air. It wasn't easy, and it took a hell of a lot of focus, but it was incredibly satisfying to be able to do it when push came to shove. On the Siege server, I can barely ever hit jetpack fliers even though they are going significantly slower overall probably, and theoretically have a much bigger collision box. I wish we could just make their box bigger when using jetpack to compensate. Playing Clarion Ultimate with constant jetpacks that can't be touched is super annoying. Oh, and I doubt lag compensation will be a big help on the choppiness thing. It's more of a prediction problem (human brain can't predict correctly when the data coming in is garbage).

UT-Sniper-SJA94
10-05-2013, 10:14 PM
The zp, shots not registering.
How over powered the minigun is.

Higor
10-05-2013, 11:20 PM
1) The apparent randomness of super boosters. I don't know what the deal is, but sometimes the same booster will throw you an extra 150 feet, even though your basic approach was virtually identical. Of course, you can dodge into them or whatever, but I'm talking about very carefully seeking to duplicate the same approach, yet getting WILDLY different results. Whatever the super booster is doing to interpret your initial velocity, it's scaling up the minuscule differences way too much somehow. Last night, on Black River, I built a SB from a side hill into the enemy base. When shooting in there, I steered myself to the same exact area (on top of their big house), and sometimes it would just take off some health as I landed. Other times, it would crater me. And there was nothing apparently different about the flight there at all (didn't slide into mountain wall or anything). Just so random.

It's a bug with the player netcode, result is: 3 possible boost outcomes using the same SB.
After a very long discussion with Severed and Disturbed, it was opted to keep it like this due to it's inherent tactics.
Meaning, an experienced player can force the Super Booster to launch him in a specific way according to his needs.
PROTIP: Build SB, walk to it, now you don't need a common booster to achieve maximum distance on MinicivilWar.

About keep it this way or definetely fix this behaviour, now that would be an interesting poll.

2) Not really a Siege thing in particular, but I really wish we had two different hit sounds: one for hitting enemies, and another for when you boost your own team. That would really help a lot to reduce accidental boosting.
I like the idea, having to watch my message box for "X player boosted" is a bit distracting.

3) Nukes are virtually impossible to stop with most anything other than shock combos. Actually tested this one extensively in slow motion to confirm it, as well as in a leech game with another player (forgot who now). Even direct, head-on hits with minigun, etc, are almost always useless dud shots. Ever wonder why you can't shoot down nukes even if you did your due diligence and had great awareness and aim? It's not the lag per se since even on a local game in freaking slow motion it doesn't work. Funny thing is, I distinctly remember this working and did it *all the time* in UT in the old days. Not sure if it's a 436 problem or something.
Nukes are hard to take down, although if fired stupidly, you can now shoot them down ZP style with Shock,Sniper and IG.
Fun fact: I stopped a nuker today with a Flak Cannon, we crossed paths and when we were facing each other at point blank range, fired at the same time and denied it!
Fun fact 2: In version 0009, a bug would have given me 2000 RU for taking down that nuke.

4) I'm constantly dying from delayed splash damage to the enemy core hitting me in the face as I run up to it. Like, I'll shoot rockets or slime, THEN run toward it to place an rc, and die. Even though I've seen the splash hit before this. Grrrr.
Weird.

5) Teles and their crazy rotations. Sometimes you have to re-enter the tele like 5 times from different ways before you come out on the other side in a way that isn't stupid. I assume that's the from the direction the person placing it was in while doing so?
Teles keep the player's original rotation, although, v0010 teles will rotate you 180º if you end up facing a wall.
If you still aim at a wall in the new version, then the tele was placed between 2 walls, rotate 90º before entering.

6) Combos don't seem to do much damage. I guess it's all the shielding in Siege (?). Unless someone has take a lot of damage already, chances are that a well-placed seires of combos will simply result in your own death, instead of theirs, as they laugh right through it.
Combos are best used/abused at mid game stage, where the Super Health Pods aren't yet built, after that you should focus on obliterating enemies with huge damage output weapons like Rocket, Sniper or Mini (Flak on certain maps); and finishing the game.

1) Can't stand maps with vast vertical attack trajectories on the core. It seems like the best maps give a SLIGHT high ground advantage to the defense (think Orbital), whereas the worst maps have multiple ridiculously-hard-to-defend vertical entry points that are just plum awkward (think Neighbors, and also various November-inspired maps with high core tele possibilities). The reason I don't like such maps is that they are highly biased towards certain kinds of players who tend to have either very good connections and fast PCs (or possibly even that pay-for aimbot). They get a lot of RU early on, sneak into your base (or often, they are actually spotted but can't be killed), build a tele, and end the game early. This essential destroys the game for everyone else, eliminating most of the other aspects of Siege.
The core's position does work against inexperienced players, but i think that's as far as it goes. Any good attacker can reach any core.
The problem comes when the attacker can make a nearly invulnerable teleporter using said positional advantage, I've learnt to counter that using a Jetpack bind on BlueVember pugs (lol 'Zac).

2) Tele spots that are virtually unassailable without a massive amount of coordinated effort from your team (which refuses to give it often) and/or nukes AND that are practically (or actually) in your base. Not really good design imo, especially because early in the game, you don't have nukes to use :P.
Lack of coordination is a very recurrent issue in nearly all competitive team games, of any role or type.
You can get 5 bad games and a good one, the difference here is that everyone knows each other in UT so you learn when or how to do it beforehand, saving you extra explanations.
Whenever a Simplex game started with me, Soze and Scourge on the same team, you would know to expect 3 active teleporters all over the enemy base and a very quick destruction.

Mind-reading with ppl you get along or have similar play styles is a good practice, if you see a teammate jumping nonstop or shooting at you with pulse, you should know beforehand a planned play is about to happen, and it involves YOU.

1) The "Elite" attitude of some players that think they are more important than everyone else and always seek to make the rules or whatever favor their particular style and their particular resources. That's more of a community thing in general. Been like that in UT in general for a few years. A special variety of this the Attacker-bias that some people have: that the game should be designed to favor attackers, that the rules should be designed to favor them, that the same actions taken by attackers vs. defenders get interpreted differently (for example, one player was spawn camping my team in Bathrooms at a distance early in the game, so I went up and took a SINGLE SHOT from the soap dish, and immediately he accuses me of camping). Another example is sniper-whores who disparage other weapons or maps that are better balanced for other weapons (or even all weapons). To me, all different kinds of playing styles are useful/interesting/valuable.
Agreed, the simpler the rule the better.
Point added to me: enforcing a rule is more than just telling when or when not to do, is also serving as example.
6 months without spamming the enemy supplier and counting! (except Niven, you can't make your way among living enemies in that narrow hallway).

2) Many of these "elites" are good, no doubt, but the main reason they are untouchable is that they are literally untouchable due to incredibly choppiness in their movement. It's not their dodging skills that is the problem. It's the fact that the server can't seem to keep up with them and they chop about disappearing and reappearing elsewhere constantly. Or maybe they are using some other networking trick to accomplish this. Not sure. Then they nuke your core and you can't stop jack sh*t even if you see them a mile away, simply because of this. In UT CTF, I would regularly tele-frag players by sniping their tele discs in mid air. It wasn't easy, and it took a hell of a lot of focus, but it was incredibly satisfying to be able to do it when push came to shove. On the Siege server, I can barely ever hit jetpack fliers even though they are going significantly slower overall probably, and theoretically have a much bigger collision box. I wish we could just make their box bigger when using jetpack to compensate. Playing Clarion Ultimate with constant jetpacks that can't be touched is super annoying. Oh, and I doubt lag compensation will be a big help on the choppiness thing. It's more of a prediction problem (human brain can't predict correctly when the data coming in is garbage).The only ppl I see with coppy movements are australians (understandable) and some high pingers like Daniela or Spiderman in rare occasions, maybe it's me used to shit connections.
Regarding jetpackers, it's hard as hell to hit them due to their ever changing movement speed and direction, I've learnt to hit them in very open spaces by putting a so-so zoom (3.0, 4.0), holding fire and completely focusing on keeping the scope on them instead of pinpointing and clicking, I've managed to land 4 straight shots on jetpackers like this.

The zp, shots not registering.
It gets better with each build, latest results give a global average of 1.6 non-registers per minute, that's 15% the amount of misses 0007 had.
0011 does fix the imagedropping and positional issues which are the main cause of this.

How over powered the minigun is.
Damage outputs are identical to standard UT minigun, that lets you thinking how nasty this weapon is in the hands of an adept 'lock my crosshair on your chest' player.
I wasn't really surprised at the results after adding lag compensation to it. During FerBotz development, my main test Botz have Minigun as their fav weapon and they're actually more of a pain in the ass than me on that matter.

Shotman
10-05-2013, 11:38 PM
I believe the hit sounds is an easy solution since there is one, i just don't know why you guys haven't added yet. I believe GU used it, 44oz and |WS| secret. Now if you could add hit sound for buildings it would be better.

PACO
10-06-2013, 12:56 AM
I hate that Siege has so much potential but it comes up short as a competitive gametype in its current state.

|uK|B|aZe//.
10-06-2013, 06:04 AM
why would you add hitsounds for buildings you already have the ru count going up constantly to reflect what youre hitting thats enough...

|uK|kenneth
10-06-2013, 06:11 AM
i agree with blaze its not needed.

RTG`
10-06-2013, 06:26 AM
That's really simple: Too many limitations in the public server and with so many unnecessary limitations ppl are complaining.. no wonder =)

Then deal with it admins. D:<

UT-Sniper-SJA94
10-06-2013, 03:03 PM
It gets better with each build, latest results give a global average of 1.6 non-registers per minute, that's 15% the amount of misses 0007 had.
0011 does fix the imagedropping and positional issues which are the main cause of this.

When I play, projectiles like ripper,protector,pulse secondary going across your xhair, and teammates dodging across your xhair stop sniper hits from registering, even when they are not blocking.

PNutButterSnake
10-08-2013, 12:40 AM
Well, I think a *gentle* hit sound for buildings could only be a good thing. It should be gentle/soft and not conflict with other sounds, of course. What would really be great is if it got louder as you splashed MORE buildings. That would be better feedback for adjusting your aim to maximize your splash damage than trying to dodge enemies, lock aim on the buildings AND stare at the RU going up all at once.

TimTim
10-08-2013, 01:44 PM
With newnet, the more damage you do, the lower the pitch of the hitsound.