PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to cause TS and UT to use less internet?

Moko
10-17-2013, 09:25 PM
I've been noticing that it'S UT and TS that uses up over a GB sometimes almost 2 in a weekend, it didn't used to do that I don't think...or at least it's never been noticed until now! Is there a way to make it use up less KB/MB? I don't have unlimited like other people. *cough SAMandBlaze cough*

I have an internet monitor that shows what's going on and it uses the most with either youtube or UT/TS and I have cut back a LOT on youtube...Less music and drawing videos. :(

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Internet isn't a modem but a USB adapter from Sprint (or as Wildcard calls it "Crawl").

Ideas anyone?

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help me!

~ God Bless ~

~ Moko

Sheepy
10-17-2013, 11:32 PM
eh. limited internet doesnt exist in austria since years :o, even my phone has a flat.
anyway, afaik teamspeak doesn't use much bandwidth at all, its very nicely optimized, pretty much the only thing you might wanna do is turning down the quality of your channel. ut also doesnt use much bandwidth, i'd guess like 70mb/h
video streaming ofc uses loads of bandwidth

how much do you have per month?

Moko
10-17-2013, 11:55 PM
eh. limited internet doesnt exist in austria since years :o, even my phone has a flat.
anyway, afaik teamspeak doesn't use much bandwidth at all, its very nicely optimized, pretty much the only thing you might wanna do is turning down the quality of your channel. ut also doesnt use much bandwidth, i'd guess like 70mb/h
video streaming ofc uses loads of bandwidth

how much do you have per month?

12 GB a month some think that's a lot other think it's a little but if I use up 2 GB in a weekend that's 8 just in UT for 4 weekend. D:

SAM
10-18-2013, 03:12 AM
As sheepy said reduce the quality. About ut there's not much you can do really. That's the net it uses. But it could be made larger by visiting servers that require lots of large downloads. So to minimize that I would suggest using cache converter if you aren't already.

Moko
10-18-2013, 01:04 PM
As sheepy said reduce the quality. About ut there's not much you can do really. That's the net it uses. But it could be made larger by visiting servers that require lots of large downloads. So to minimize that I would suggest using cache converter if you aren't already.

But what if I'm muted? Then how does that matter?
I spend ts mostly everything muted unless Krikor is playing osu! and I listen or Diablo is playing guitar.

I don't have a cache converter, I think I had one on my old laptop that died but not anymore! :(

Thank you. :>

~V~
10-19-2013, 04:42 AM
I don't have a cache converter, I think I had one on my old laptop that died but not anymore! :(

This is rather old but http://www.unrealize.co.uk/files/ut99cacheconvertor.zip

Try it without the ocx installer first and if it complains use that.

|uK|chiseller
10-19-2013, 05:06 AM
TS: reduce quality
UT: reduce netspeed
With netspeed you tell UT how much data you wanna send every second as well as how much data you wanna receive. There's obviously a downside with it but you can try and play around with the numbers if traffic is such a huge issue.

Moko
10-20-2013, 01:49 PM
TS: reduce quality
UT: reduce netspeed
With netspeed you tell UT how much data you wanna send every second as well as how much data you wanna receive. There's obviously a downside with it but you can try and play around with the numbers if traffic is such a huge issue.

Oh...Well I guess I could try that, with my lag idk if it helps being 20,000 anyway. xD

Thanks. :D

This is rather old but http://www.unrealize.co.uk/files/ut99cacheconvertor.zip

Try it without the ocx installer first and if it complains use that.
It doesn't work. :(
With either way. :(

--- Updated ---

Why is Kenneth hating on my post? lol.....

~V~
10-23-2013, 12:52 PM
It doesn't work. :(
With either way. :(

which version of windows do you have, and 32 or 64bit?

Moko
10-24-2013, 09:48 PM
which version of windows do you have, and 32 or 64bit?

Windows 7 64 bit.

~V~
10-24-2013, 11:27 PM
It's quite an old app. I'm sure someone here must have a more modern one.

Chamberly
11-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Ah, ic

Yeah, if you take that in account than your solution is valid alright. Though needs to be said, the Low End textures were also created for people having not so much bandwidth available and/or lower end videocards.

Those people could still have a go with the Low End individual downloads at this page: UT Low End which allows download per download for all the individual packages. And the Low End does take a few hundreds Mb off, but i agree its still a big amount to downloads. And the SkyCity package (178Mb) cannot be split up to a smaller one. (similar individual download page is also there for High End btw). ~Diehard

Link to original post: UT99.org | TUTORIAL: Unreal Tournament Audio & Visuals Tweaking Guide : Tips, Tricks & Tutorials (http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=373)
Do anyone know where to get LowEnd? The linked address there is dead.

|uK|chiseller
11-16-2013, 06:55 AM
How's this relevant to this thread?

SAM
11-17-2013, 07:27 AM
How's this relevant to this thread?

LowEnd textures are related because they do use less net...:)

Keith
11-17-2013, 08:39 AM
low end is still s3tc.

SAM
11-17-2013, 08:51 AM
low end is still s3tc.

Yeah (if I remember correctly) stripped though, right?

Keith
11-17-2013, 09:20 AM
yes

|uK|chiseller
11-17-2013, 09:44 AM
LowEnd textures are related because they do use less net...:)

If you wanna save badwidth you don't download s3tc textures in the first place. Even once you downloaded them they won't make you use less traffic.

Keith
11-17-2013, 10:14 AM
they are too distracting anyway. high default textures are already good enough

SogeKing
11-17-2013, 11:23 AM
I was gonna say get a job and pay for real internet! ^-^

but then again I guess regular internet must not be available where you live otherwise why would you bother getting limited internetz.

SAM
11-17-2013, 06:57 PM
If you wanna save badwidth you don't download s3tc textures in the first place.
hah good point lol