PDA

View Full Version : why is ace set to high performance automatically?

fabs
12-29-2013, 05:38 AM
this setting lags me very badly, i have always left it at the default value of false but it seems that every time i connect to the server it forces the setting to on. please let us choose what option to use the lags very bad for me with it on

Keith
12-29-2013, 06:30 AM
i get the same issue only fix i could find is raise my fps to like 160 but now my ut screen tears like shit the only way it could run decently was to get rid of high perf mode. but timtim forced it and doesn't seem to want to let us disable it, using as an excuse that people can speedhack when highperf is disabled. i call bs... now it just runs like dogshit

SAM
12-29-2013, 06:49 AM
Newnet is doing it....

TimTim
12-29-2013, 07:31 AM
using as an excuse that people can speedhack when highperf is disabled. i call bs
What other reason could I possibly have? And what would you rather happen? Allow everyone to easily speedhack or force a small handful of people to take a few minutes to figure out settings that make UT run smoothly with high perf on? There are plenty of threads with info on how to do this. And if enough people provide details with their setups and what they've done to smooth things out, I may be able to automate that part or at the very least provide a step-by-step tutorial.

SAM
12-29-2013, 07:56 AM
But these changes are permanent (recorded in user.ini) some people won't remember anymore.... another thing you have to consider is these users will play on other servers which will impair performance even more. Ace figures out the best setting based on the computer....personally I don't think that should be messed with....

TimTim
12-29-2013, 08:37 AM
If they fix their UT to run smoothly with high perf on, they won't have problems anywhere.

UT-Sniper-SJA94
12-29-2013, 09:33 AM
The only thing I have noticed is my shots don't lag behind my xhair movement as much as before.

Keith
12-29-2013, 10:11 AM
What other reason could I possibly have? And what would you rather happen? Allow everyone to easily speedhack or force a small handful of people to take a few minutes to figure out settings that make UT run smoothly with high perf on? There are plenty of threads with info on how to do this. And if enough people provide details with their setups and what they've done to smooth things out, I may be able to automate that part or at the very least provide a step-by-step tutorial.
i never seen anyone using a speedhack on ig us ever, only thing i saw was people bouncing, and highperf don't stop them. i think it's just there to fuck up peoples settings for something minor. I mean a demo would ban the guy in question instead of changing settings... ask a few puggers i'm sure highperf made their ut runs bad as well

fabs
12-29-2013, 06:33 PM
if people are speed hacking why not just deal with them? i have not seen anyone speed hack.. if high performance was so optimal how come anthrax the maker of ace didnt enable it by default? instead he gave us the option

TimTim
12-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Here's the thing: there are quite a few people with a speed advantage and they aren't even aware of it. NewNet's movement makes this infinitely easier to do, and the only way to properly counter it is to nip it in the bud (UT's CPU timing issues) by forcing ACE's high performance mode. Adding some speedhack detection mod or creating a new one would undoubtedly throw up a ton of red flags and/or constantly kick people who may not even be aware they're moving faster than they're supposed to; and the end result would be the same: these people would have to fix their configuration.

We tested high perf OFF versus high perf ON for a few different machines. In every instance, high perf OFF allowed people to do everything faster (less time between shots, farther dodges, etc.) and it varied from machine to machine or configuration to configuration; the higher the framerate, the faster the player; and sometimes the difference was marginal and barely noticeable, but an unfair advantage is an unfair advantage no matter how you spin it. High perf ON, however, made everyone the same speed no matter what.

So again, the best solution is to force high performance mode, as it solves the problem at the source and doesn't produce a bunch of false positives for cheating. 99.99% of machines can run UT perfectly with it on. If you're having problems, don't be lazy and try some of the solutions outlined within the threads in this forum: GlobalUnreal - UT99 Help Desk (http://www.globalunreal.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=41)

There's also this: http://utgl.unrealadmin.org/ACE/Timing.txt

UT-Sniper-SJA94
12-30-2013, 04:18 AM
We tested high perf OFF versus high perf ON for a few different machines. In every instance, high perf OFF allowed people to do everything faster (less time between shots, farther dodges, etc.) and it varied from machine to machine or configuration to configuration; the higher the framerate, the faster the player; and sometimes the difference was marginal and barely noticeable, but an unfair advantage is an unfair advantage no matter how you spin it. High perf ON, however, made everyone the same speed no matter what.

I though I was just getting ping raped constantly, but that makes much more sense that the only map I really get near 100 fps (control) it hardly happens, but on klondike and duku where I get about 40-70 fps best it happens much more.

fabs
01-01-2014, 03:02 AM
happy new years all

TimTim im not lazy i have tried many different ace combinations and none fix it.
the problem that i have when its set to on is my fps drops anywhere from 10-30 and during this time
my whole game gets super choppy/laggy then it fixes itself and does it again and this happens every few seconds
its really annoying i really dont know what else to try

TimTim
01-01-2014, 03:56 AM
fabs What is your setup? What kind of CPU, video card, UT renderer, etc.?

fabs
01-01-2014, 05:08 AM
i5 4670
d3d9 i have also tried opengl
radeon 7850

windows 7 64bit

TimTim
01-01-2014, 06:13 AM
Have you tried turning speed step off and/or adding -cpuspeed=<whatever your cpu speed is in MHz here> to your UT shortcut?

fabs
01-01-2014, 06:44 AM
speed step is off. i tried adding it and it does seem more stable, i still get the slight fps drop but its much less