PDA

View Full Version : how to design a good map?

i_remember_my
04-04-2014, 08:37 PM
hello friends, sorry, I'd love to know your tips when creating maps, not made any yet, but I Headboard to create one for siege, but moved to this more fun.
I've seen maps that always annoys something, the texture, very easy to destroy the core, etc.. and if you can add something to the editor to facilitate the design, the better. I agree and I thank any advice.

Chamberly
04-04-2014, 08:42 PM
I'd start out making notes for base ideas and mid area ideas. Then when you try to draw it out, you will also come up with some other ideas along the way.

So awhile making notes about the theme of the area would be, but also keep in mind about having creativity of having available spots for siegers to build such things (example, nuke room, and other kinds of room.)

May other post their ideas.

Disturbed//*.
04-04-2014, 09:03 PM
Depends really on what you want to make...

Do you want a open map/close and tight? If its open map try not to make so many objects that you think will 'scenery' which will then lead in to tele spots, and if their are too many tele spots then thats not fun.

For a close tight map say light butchered, just make it flow... Lots of open areas and not to close shut off doors.

Im starting to DRAW my map layout on paper then putting it together in UnrealEd. Found that way was really easier. Also what i have noticed it that don't just have walls of nothing, try to make maybe some fire slots, or maybe some fans, it gives a great look and doesnt look 'plain jane'.

HIGH[+]AdRiaN
04-05-2014, 02:55 AM
yes... 1st draw on paper, then build your map on UED. make the map "skeleton" first, build all the ways, the base and the mid (it's like 10% of progress)... then you start to decorate your map, make little brushes, aling textures, make the illumination (remaining 90% of your work)

NoReasonBoner
05-29-2014, 05:51 PM
I don't draw it usually. I just start going in Ued, get a basic mid set up, then add each base. Sometimes I start off basic and then add detail or sometimes I'm really digging the look and make each part of the map piece by piece.

I always try to make at least 2 paths, if not 3. And z-axis fighting, different levels. Make it fair, each side either the same or very close to.

Also, people are gonna lame no matter what, so don't make a map that makes it easy for them