PDA

View Full Version : Can you fix the team balancer on UK/US server?

zrt
08-23-2014, 09:44 AM
I there,

Several times , teams are hardly f*cked on insta servers but there is no way to balance teams unless one -fair- player switch by himself (not often..)
So , many games are shit plus some players of the losing team leave the server that make the game even more unbalanced when already losing 10-0 or something...
I could upload screenies showing what I mean, but i guess you are already aware about that.

For example, last night I joined in a stacked team and switched to the losing team but it was over anyway.
Then, 2nd map, teams were again pretty unfair (we lost 16-0 on command lol) but i noticed several times it was 6v5 because, over time, dudes in my team left and get replaced by a new player 1 minute later, and then left 1 minute later and so on.. and nobody from the winning team switched, even when it was 10-0 and 6v5 during 2 mins.

[OFF-TOPIC]
So , I assume some players just enjoy to play easy games for some reasons.. In my opinion it's just stupid on pubs...especially when it comes from dudes that play this game since a while...
I won't name anybody but for me, dudes who do that in a 15 year old pretty small community are just leading the game to die faster as many new players will get bored of the game because of your retarded attitude.
[/OFF-TOPIC]

To conclude, I believe that if you (= server admins) can do something to auto-balance teams, it could lead to a better gaming experience for most of us.

Thx for read and sry if bad english ;)

UT-Sniper-SJA94
08-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Team balancers will never work correctly by balancing at the start of games, people leave or join. The thing that annoys me is if a team is miles ahead, and then gets an extra player, it would make sense if the losing team gets the extra player.

I used to swap to the losing team quite a few times a day, but 4 or 5 games in a row with 10+ cap difference, with no one else doing the same in return the other day makes me think twice before helping now. Now I do it only when I know someone on the other team would do the same thing if the teams were in reverse.

zrt
08-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Team balancers will never work correctly by balancing at the start of games, people leave or join. The thing that annoys me is if a team is miles ahead, and then gets an extra player, it would make sense if the losing team gets the extra player.
That's what happened to me last night, i joined when 5v5 in the wining team (8-0) , then switched to the loosing one.

I used to swap to the losing team quite a few times a day, but 4 or 5 games in a row with 10+ cap difference, with no one else doing the same in return the other day makes me think twice before helping now. Now I do it only when I know someone on the other team would do the same thing if the teams were in reverse.

I disagree when I read that 'if others dudes do not switch I won't either'.
If everybody thinks like that (and I assume it's the case sadly), it's no way to make team balanced anymore. I personally do not care that much about win or lose, (btw if you add a team win/lose ratio per player in the new UTStats you are working on, you will see i'm often in the losing team ^^ ), but i care about fair teams, because it provides a much better gaming experience for everyone on pubs.
In other words, I believe that: No pain no gain ! (..and no fun)

d3R
09-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Good topic, i wonder nobody is replying to it. I've seen this happening so many times and usually players on the losing team go to spec or leave (including good players!), and after a couple of maps the players that stacked the teams and won several maps in a row leave the server almost empty. I've tried countless of times to do something about these stacked teams but only got whining, kickvotes and topics requesting my ban in return. Right now i'm serving a 80 match ban because i apparently dmed against a stacked team so you see what the admin priorities are.

It seems like when you end up against a stacked team all you can do is leave, while the guys that stack the teams carry on having fun emptying the server.

Edit: ps, it's been years ago but i don't recall this happening much on 5v5 publics.

Chamberly
09-17-2014, 08:05 PM
I guess making a better balancer is hard. That's why no one is making it.

Krikor
09-17-2014, 09:08 PM
Ive always thought making the cookie balancer should work differently. Like not trying to equal cookies but to put player with most cookies in red, 2nd most cookies blue, 3rd most cookies red and keep going like that. But it doesnt work like that, does it?

zrt
09-18-2014, 12:17 PM
In my eye, doing a team balancer based on player strength (cookies) only is not accurate enough imo.

Firstly, because many players aliases a lot and i noticed myself if i use a different nick, my strength is not the same, depending on dudes i played before.
I don't know how it works, I think it's based on UTSTATS but not sure. If it's the case, it would be nice if also based on user ID+IP. Like that, even if aliasing, the strength of someone would be more accurate. (calculated his average strength between any nick he used).

Also, I ask myself if it would not be better to base the team balancer dynamically regarding on score during the current game.

I mean for example, if there is 'X' caps difference in a few laps of time, the script could balance teams based on strength
(or why not to switch the top player of the wining team with the 2nd top player of the losing team ?)

Then script checks scores again 60 seconds later or sth. If there is still the same difference, then do the same operation and so on.

Well, it's just an idea, I know I did not take everything in consideration, but i'm pretty sure the teambalancer can be improved anyway.

Btw, who made the code ?
It would be nice to have his/her opinion.

Otherwise the actual system looks broken, several time I have been swithed on the wining team when i was top player of the losing one, even when 10 caps difference.. non-sense imo

Chamberly
09-18-2014, 09:54 PM
I did wrote out how did the balancer work but Idk where I left it. :P

-Balancer assign cookies by player name.
-Cookies are like grades, depending how good you did in maps. If you did well, you will get cookies. Average, not much changes as it goes unnoticeable. Doing poorly or even entering the game too soon whereas the game ended, you loose cookies.

For better improvement (imo)
-Collect HWID/MAC if possible, only assign cookies within that property. Even tho it wouldn't be bypassed as much as name change and for those who use dynamic IPs, but still useful at least. The info can be grabbed as if ACE can do, really not sure about comparing but just an idea.
-Have a wide range of dynamic player profile. Such as this HWID/MAC player did good on this map, but did bad on the other, have a flexible cookie to arrange players correctly.
-Not sure how it could collect info live as from game, but could possibly grab by UTStats (if enabled?) unless will have to make a standalone version itself with it's own UTStats built in.
-Idk who made it. Google is your friend tho.
-This giving me a headache. Code scripts is to blame.