PDA

View Full Version : Should crouching headshot be fixed?

jay2
02-24-2015, 05:19 PM
Ut99 has a collision issue where crouched players cannot be headshot.

Should a fix be incorporated? Newnet has already solved this issue.

UT-Sniper-SJA94
02-24-2015, 05:29 PM
I really doubt it will be fixed....

I'm not saying you should be able to headshot a crouching player, but the hit boxes should match the player model, and not be like the retarded ones on the siege server.

Higor
02-24-2015, 06:08 PM
What do you mean?
The hitboxes are identical to those you get when you play UT99 off a clean v400 install cd.

Chamberly
02-24-2015, 08:02 PM
Jay, if you would shoot someone who is bending over, would you get a headshot on their butt? No.

Shiro
02-24-2015, 09:19 PM
i dont think should be fixed but ppl should not abuse of it either, *cof cof NJ cof cof* (1BILLION CROUCHES PER SEC)

HIGH[+]AdRiaN
02-25-2015, 02:43 PM
What is fix for you? In original UT is impossible HS crounched players... for years, we played with a GLITCH that allow HS in these situations...
remove the crounched hs is the FIX, not a bug. Should crouching headshot be fixed? it's already fixed.

but i agree, this is not fun... the newnet system is the best: the hs hitbox changes for crounched players, and its not much hard or much easy hs them. (in zp, is ridiculously easy hs crounched players)

jay2
02-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Jay, if you would shoot someone who is bending over, would you get a headshot on their butt? No.

I am referring to people that use sniper rifle and crouch while using it so they cant be HS. If they crouch and you dont then you can't HS them but they can HS you.

AdRiaN;86708']What is fix for you? In original UT is impossible HS crounched players... for years, we played with a GLITCH that allow HS in these situations...
remove the crounched hs is the FIX, not a bug. Should crouching headshot be fixed? it's already fixed.

but i agree, this is not fun... the newnet system is the best: the hs hitbox changes for crounched players, and its not much hard or much easy hs them. (in zp, is ridiculously easy hs crounched players)

See above post :)

Chamberly
02-25-2015, 04:31 PM
If they crotch, you aren't suppose to headshot them. If they headshot you, then you are standing up too much.

Beside this crap been discussed before.

Stormy
02-26-2015, 05:24 AM
Maybe add to the ban list like the bouncing?

Chamberly
02-27-2015, 12:18 AM
No, that'd be a heck of a stupid ban. Either way, I will not ban anyone for ducking. :P

~~D4RR3N~~
02-27-2015, 01:18 AM
Bannin for ducking is stupid
Abusin ducking is stupid
Lowering hs hitbox when ducking is smart

I think the solution is obvious here

jay2
02-27-2015, 02:30 AM
Lowering hs hitbox when ducking is smart

Yup.

|uK|B|aZe//.
02-28-2015, 11:57 AM
its gay to have someone duck on you as soon as they see you (NJ)

in effect all they have to do is duck and wait for someone else to help kill that person shooting you

at least fix it so that people crouched CAN be headshotted

NJ.
03-11-2015, 07:24 AM
A shootergame where you may not duck, nice discussion.

I gona say much about it, its a part of my game style over + 10 year.
Same as i dont complain on a forum over the skills from other players
who are (very) good in other styles like:

High4 (chupa) wit fast tele porting
Danger with enforcer jump (few players)
and more other things.

I would be concerned (and wouldnt use it) if other players could not use it. Lucky everybody can!

My game style is overall attacking, but i do everything from building repairing, defending.

Oh and i didnt know that you couldnt be headshotted.

To |uK|B|aZe//.

dont agree (buts your opinion) everyone may duck.

If they duck, i will hit them. Even the midget,and even all
the fine players in the other team.

A very small % from my shoots are in duckstate.

I must say that i do it more if i have some lag isues.
(recently more and more)

Chamberly
03-11-2015, 04:52 PM
at least fix it so that people crouched CAN be headshotted

If this happen, I'm leaving.

|uK|B|aZe//.
03-11-2015, 05:08 PM
If this happen, I'm leaving.

lol feel free to. It makes sense to have it so that crouched players can be just as easily headshottable as when they stand. Im not saying make it like zp im saying make it so that when I shoot someones head it kills them. Right now everyone fucking ducks

Shiro
03-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Right now everyone fucking ducks
^

its annoying as fuck , people should take more dmg during crouch or could be headshoot. crouch its fucking op in ut99

|uK|Rays
03-11-2015, 07:52 PM
This wouldn't even be a discussion if siege's weapon balance wasn't so fucked in the first place. Sniper is by far the strongest weapon in most scenarios, even close range it's usually the best option. 90% of popular siege maps are built around watered down sniper arena type gameplay, it's not entirely unplayable but it's been a consistent theme for a loooong time. This will just get ignored like the handful of other times I've brought it up, but instead of trying to fix the newest cheese tactic, please somebody actually balance siege for once. (this includes minigun/pulse cheese, that shit whack too)

Krikor
03-11-2015, 09:24 PM
lol @be free to...who cares? This shit is ruining siege, why change something that has been fine for over 5 years?

Also fuck me i voted wrong option by accident JEJE please fix

|uK|B|aZe//.
03-12-2015, 04:00 AM
fucking MIA
and to address rays, sniper isnt overpowered ducking is, I talk for myself here but im just as comfortable using other weapons to kill someone else holding a sniper rifle but the simple fact is, its not as quick or effective

Kate*Bush
03-12-2015, 04:21 AM
Do not forget about the Ripper, I want to cut off the head crouching monkey !)))

ps >>>http://oddstuffmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/ZUKZX.jpg

Skarn
03-12-2015, 01:27 PM
Do not forget about the Ripper, I want to cut off the head crouching monkey !)))

crouching pidars

jay2
03-12-2015, 01:36 PM
I believe this should be patched.

|uK|Rays
03-12-2015, 05:45 PM
fucking MIA
and to address rays, sniper isnt overpowered ducking is, I talk for myself here but im just as comfortable using other weapons to kill someone else holding a sniper rifle but the simple fact is, its not as quick or effective

That is literally the definition of OP. Nothing is quite as good as sniper so you're basically forced into using it. Most maps encourage it and it limits the entire mods potential. It really does need an overhaul.

|uK|chiseller
03-12-2015, 06:13 PM
Not going to happen Rays since 90% of the players are one dimensional mugs.

However, it would only make sense to headshot crouched players. But Higor is either not interested in making that change because it doesn't suit him (same with minigun) or it's too much of a hassle (understandably so).
In nw no one is bothered by it. As Rays pointed out, the mode is much more balanced than siege, where sniper is the primary (only) weapon alongside minigun these days.

Bottom line:
Rather than fixing the crouched headshot fix the whole weapon balance.

~~D4RR3N~~
03-12-2015, 09:17 PM
^ x2

Higor
03-12-2015, 09:36 PM
That's homework for me Mr.Chis, I liked the idea of making players appear further ahead on the client perspective instead of doing calculations of old positions.
Of course, in an insanely fast paced game as UT99, doing this is very unreliable because of quick worm-like movements...

But i'm still doing this with a latency cap...
What do I mean with this?

Let's say I set the cap to 50ms.
If you ping 30, everything is shown 30ms ahead, if you ping 100, everything is shown 50ms ahead and your LC shots will have that amount of ping substracted (virtually, 100-50 ping).

So it's gonna be a mix of old calculations and client prediction.
The goodies of less latency on the client's perspective, even by a little amount:
- The player may react faster to incoming projectiles and previosly unseeable enemies.
- Affects the lag perception for all events, meaning: less need to aim ahead on non-LC weapons, meaning: global balance shift to non-LC weaps.

As part of an experiment, there is already a 30ms cap to push projectiles ahead on the clients (LCv11).
I bet you noticed it's easier to dodge.

===========
So,
Things left to do (LC is currently completely separate from Siege versions, so don't mix up weapons with Siege versions ok?):
- XC_GameEngine server hack of replication:
--- Send actor status through transparent surfaces (you'll be able to see what's behind Kanjar's nuke rooms, for example).
--- Randomize the chosen point for visibility checks, meaning, no need of HideNPeek methods (bAlwaysRelevant) to show very hard to spot campers.
------ Setting bAlwaysRelevant to false on players will reduce netcode and netchannel overhead massively on Siege servers.
--- RELIABLE_BUFFER server crash on non-hacked v451 servers fix. [DONE, WORKS IN 436,440,451 Win32]

- Implementation of a decent method to display players ahead in LCv12.
Since the engine doesn't let devs know when the server applies a positional update on an enemy pawn, you can't really know when or how much to move a player forward.
One way to do it, would be to move all pawns ahead during the level update, apply the LC shot, and move all pawns back once render code has finished drawing the world.
Lucky for me, LC shots are already delayed and processed when the XC_CompensatorChannel actor is updated so that's one less thing to worry about.

The lack of updates on Siege and LC doesn't mean I'm inactive, I ain't dead, it's just lots of stuff is being made behind the curtains
https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5624
Huge props to Chamberly, Nelsona and ~V~ at making this move forward at a ridiculous rate, considering it's an (almost) one man work and I'm doing the shit UTPG should have done right in the first place!
Also special mentions Wises, Schlong, Gust... and Qwerty for their input/ideas.

|uK|Rays
03-13-2015, 12:48 AM
I think it's great that you put your time into this and try to make the mod better, people don't appreciate the effort enough around here but give it to me straight. Will you do anything with the weapon balance in siege at all? #realtalk

Higor
03-14-2015, 08:53 PM
Chamberly's server is running a prototype LCv12 with the position advancer (something similar to what UT4 uses).
The ping cap was changed to 100ms so anyone under that ping should be able to aim non-LC weapons just as they would in offline sessions.

If you want to test it, get someone else to join and try shooting each other in sgRestart map.