Lag? DDoS? [Archive] - UnrealTournament Siege, Bunnytrack, Combogib, Instagib, UT99, UT4 clan & Server Discussion

PDA

View Full Version : Lag? DDoS?

|uK|HumaK
05-10-2015, 05:54 AM
The last 4-5 times I've played on the server it starts lagging a lot for everyone in the middle of the map. I don't mind it if it's just one time but it has been 4-5 times in a row. Have I just been unlucky or is it doing this that very often now? It's quite irritating when you just want to play a nice game of siege :)

Thank you in advance.

TimTim
05-10-2015, 06:09 AM
It is a DDoS attack, yes. Some bitter immature idiot thinks it's a good way to spend his short life.

CCC
05-10-2015, 06:22 AM
It is a DDoS attack, yes. Some bitter immature idiot thinks it's a good way to spend his short life.

i just heard LOSAH is responsible for this, can you prove that or is it just a lucky guess? Anyway whoever is doing this, the servers are unplayable because of it. :umadtroll:

not just on Siege servers but insta US and UK too...idk

UT-Sniper-SJA94
05-10-2015, 06:52 AM
There is the SA and NW server, but that dies anyway when latino players come in and vote nw, server empties within 5 minutes.

Chamberly
05-10-2015, 07:19 AM
Ugh can't even get on sam bt house it just sit on connecting.

Can connect to siege tho.

|uK|kenneth
05-10-2015, 07:40 AM
all servers have been attacked except for the nw server guess theres not enough people on it to get ddosed (waste of money lel)

Chamberly
05-10-2015, 08:31 AM
Redboxing came back alive on siege... @ this post time. 8:30am est.

UT-Sniper-SJA94
05-10-2015, 08:34 AM
We should really find his address and go and make him swallow his teeth.

TimTim
05-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Let us know if it happens again (on Insta/ComboGib at least). ;)

|uK|LadyS
05-10-2015, 05:45 PM
Ugh can't even get on sam bt house it just sit on connecting.

I had this, did you try connecting again a second time? It usually works the second time for me.

Jst2blond
05-10-2015, 05:47 PM
I had this, did you try connecting again a second time? It usually works the second time for me.

Yes, reconnecting works

SAM
05-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Let us know if combo and instagib servers are still affected. We are testing out a pitch on those three servers.

luis
05-10-2015, 06:29 PM
This is what happens when the admins and mods made enemies.

You ban him.... but they have his secret guns.

hmm:please:?¿?¿.... this is not my signature ¿where is my cat?

Jst2blond
05-10-2015, 07:36 PM
Let us know if combo and instagib servers are still affected. We are testing out a pitch on those three servers.
TimTimHigor
Combogib side : it seems ok .
Also insta servers, as far as i have seen ...

Chamberly
05-11-2015, 12:01 AM
I tried to connect more than 10 times.

BONZ
05-11-2015, 08:22 AM
I remember back in the Myspace days this 14 year old kid spammed this Democrat group, one of the members who was a politician in real life reported the guy and the FBI paid him and his parents a visit. We need someone to track this guy down and mess up his shit

UT-Sniper-SJA94
05-11-2015, 12:11 PM
You might want to make the object invisible, you can see it on maps.

CCC
05-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Let us know if it happens again (on Insta/ComboGib at least). ;)

it's happening now 05/12 19.05 hrs on US insta and again at 19.45 hrs

|uK|kenneth
05-12-2015, 01:11 PM
all servers just went down except for the ctfweapons sniper one.

Cyrious
05-12-2015, 06:07 PM
Oh, guess that explains why all of the servers are down. Came on to play some UT only to find some childish fuck is DDoSing the servers again.

UT-Sniper-SJA94
05-12-2015, 06:13 PM
Oh, guess that explains why all of the servers are down. Came on to play some UT only to find some childish fuck is DDoSing the servers again.

Someone should make a charity were we can help get this sad low life a life, or alternatively we could help speed up global warming, and flood him out of his mothers basement.

Cyrious
05-12-2015, 06:19 PM
Someone should make a charity were we can help get this sad low life a life, or alternatively we could help speed up global warming, and flood him out of his mothers basement.

Nah, that'd be a waste of money. We could better spend that money on something like DDoS mitigation or a faster still custom server.

Speaking of the server, does anyone know the actual hardware specs the Siege server runs on?

Higor
05-12-2015, 06:28 PM
Speaking of the server, does anyone know the actual hardware specs the Siege server runs on?
It's a monstrosity, but a flaw in UT's TCPNetDriver (or Engine ServerTick) are causing an artificial limitation on resource usage.
A good idea would be to find the flaw, then patch it so it gets to use the server's full power and mitigate said attacks.

Cyrious
05-12-2015, 06:39 PM
It's a monstrosity, but a flaw in UT's TCPNetDriver (or Engine ServerTick) are causing an artificial limitation on resource usage.
A good idea would be to find the flaw, then patch it so it gets to use the server's full power and mitigate said attacks.

Yeah that would put a damper on things. That, and the fact UT99 being how old it is and what era it hails from is single threaded, so the only real way to get the game to perform better is to throw oodles and oodles of single thread power at it, which in turn means overclocking. Since Xeons cannot be overclocked at all, it means being limited to a bog standard i7 or that Anniversary Pentium.

Higor
05-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Well, I 'could' attempt to multithread the replication checks using the XC_GameEngine addon.
But the only thing the game would gain is being able to host >20 player games at 120TR without slowdowns.

Cyrious
05-12-2015, 07:11 PM
Well, I 'could' attempt to multithread the replication checks using the XC_GameEngine addon.
But the only thing the game would gain is being able to host >20 player games at 120TR without slowdowns.

And if you did that I'm not exactly sure it would even work, let alone flawlessly simply because UT99 and UE1 was never really designed for more than one core/thread. When it came out the recommended system requirements was a 200mhz Pentium or 200mhz AMD K6. Systems with more than one execution core were explicitly for high end servers, and even then it was rare to find ones with more than 2 processors. Compare that to now where one can (for a pretty penny) purchase an 8 core 16 thread i7 extreme or Xeon (Like what I have. Tis a fun chip) that in single threaded performance through clockspeed alone is 15x faster. Games made these days can take advantage of those oodles of threads and cores (well, they will once DX12 comes out), but back then there was simply no point and the software was designed as such.

I'm not doubting your ability as a code monkey to do things with UT that it was never designed or intended to do, but making UT99 multi-threaded even slightly seems to be a recipe for disaster to me. But what do it know? I aint a coder.

-=TRO=-
05-13-2015, 06:49 PM
I also watched the lags for several days. Then something happened yet, and already about 3 days after entering the game looks like a loss of communication. All players are moving by inertia. Guns do not switch, and does not end. Console stops. When reconnecting all repeats. Everything stops as soon as I get into the game. I can play on other servers, I can not play the siege. What to do?

Chamberly
05-13-2015, 11:59 PM
Can play on the dev server, just vote up siege maybe. LOL

|uK|kenneth
05-14-2015, 08:14 AM
Can play on the dev server, just vote up siege maybe. LOL

people don't even know your server exists.

Chamberly
05-14-2015, 08:22 AM
people don't even know your server exists.

It's always in my sig. but I'm not no big server advertiser whore either. LOL.

NJ.
05-20-2015, 10:25 AM
cant go on like this report it to the authorities.
Probabrley this kiddo make also problems somewhere else!

Chamberly
05-20-2015, 05:40 PM
I don't think there is enough possible evidence to report him DDOSing? Cuz they are always needing serious evidence to take any actions. -.- Unless it's different in other country.

Jst2blond
05-20-2015, 06:06 PM
I don't think there is enough possible evidence to report him DDOSing? Cuz they are always needing serious evidence to take any actions. -.- Unless it's different in other country.
I live near Strasbourg . Strasbourg is "European capital", i know 1 or 2 persons over there .
If needed
Directorate General of Human Rights and Rule of Law. Council of Europe, Strasbourg, France. Tel. +33-3-9021-4506

http://www.coe.int/t/dghl/cooperation/economiccrime/Source/Cybercrime/TCY/TCY%202013/T-CY%282013%2910REV_GN5_DDOS%20attacks_V7adopted.pdf

Deepack123
05-20-2015, 07:24 PM
If you guys are joining channels on irc I advise all of you to not use webchat since it is very easy for the ddoser to obtain your ip with it (a mistake that will cost me) and if your using mirc please mask your ip so it is not visible to the public, not only is he ddosing servers but he's doing it to quite a lot of individuals including myself. If you get ddosed you might have to reboot your modem then restart your pc and wait about 5 min for your connection to come on simply put IT'S A PAIN IN THE ASS. Those with static ip you need to be very careful who you give out your ip to and don't play on strange servers where he can possibly obtain your ip I heard a rumour that the ddoser also has servers and sometimes renames his servers to the US/uK insta servers. Knowing the ddoser reads these forums I'm sure hes going to ddos me again but idgaf.

Higor
05-20-2015, 11:27 PM
I'm sure hes going to ddos me again but idgaf.
Lol, are you on dial up?
Lock all of your router's ports except the services you need to forward.

Chamberly
05-21-2015, 12:02 AM
If you guys are joining channels on irc I advise all of you to not use webchat since it is very easy for the ddoser to obtain your ip with it (a mistake that will cost me) and if your using mirc please mask your ip so it is not visible to the public, not only is he ddosing servers but he's doing it to quite a lot of individuals including myself.

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Anyone can give out any IP address as well (whoever join, either himself or other he hired to grab info)... so this sux balls yo! ;P

Deepack123
05-21-2015, 12:29 AM
Lol, are you on dial up?
Lock all of your router's ports except the services you need to forward.

nah I'm not on dial up lol but he already has my ip so not much I can do. I already tried so much to solve this I give up now fuck this.

Deepack123
05-21-2015, 12:44 AM
Yeah, this is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Anyone can give out any IP address as well (whoever join, either himself or other he hired to grab info)... so this sux balls yo! ;P

*edited for safety reasons*

darkshaihulud
05-21-2015, 03:21 AM
Deepack123

It might be worth saving your log files and sending them to the host for the IP(s) that are affecting you - try something like https://ipinfo.io/, type in an IP, click on the network ID, then do a Ctrl+F search for "abuse" to find their abuse department email address. Send them details of what you've been experiencing, the dates and times, and attach your log file. And be polite, you'll get a lot further that way.

SAM
05-21-2015, 09:56 AM
Well. I think I counted over 10k ips last time....so that would be rather difficult. Have tried packet sniffing and analysing to find the source. Definitely getting somewhere with that....

The 'type' / method being used is probably down to vulnerable routers as opposed to a botnet. But I can't be sure. Playing with firewall rules ATM to filter these.

darkshaihulud
05-21-2015, 04:42 PM
Perhaps this is something that could be automated with a script or little app. 1) Scan the log for all IP addresses responsible 2) Do a reverse DNS lookup for each IP and sort by provider 3) Send a template email to each provider containing a copy of the log, together with the collection of IP addresses for which the host is responsible and ask that they take action against the users on their network that are sending out malicious traffic.

It might also be worth cross-referencing server visitors who were banned at or around the time that the attacks began. No doubt the person responsible is also a visitor to these forums so that they can gloat over the damage they are causing. Does the "viewed thread" list correspond to the "banned at the time of the start of attacks" list at all?