PDA

View Full Version : CTF-SpaceWars(R)

|2ambo
06-21-2015, 11:57 AM
I've been working on this for a few days. Just another ass map :p

A lot of people like AndACTION and Fragwhore so this is basically the same, except out in space. Size probably around Fragwhore maybe a little smaller.

I also added weapons to it just to make it playable for everyone. If your UT runs dark, it may be hard to see, but from testing it, it seems fine. I made the floor invisible from underneath so you can see everyone running around while falling to your death :cooter:
Custom Flags with the help of Chamberly :)

Any textures I used I imported into MyLevel, so there shouldn't be any extra textures.

Oh, and 2 other small details I missed. Space is rotating, and the colored borders of the map flash. Yeah I'm weird. I like space stuff what can I say :p

sparky
06-22-2015, 02:20 PM
Sounds fun. Would like to try it, but can't get attachments (pending approval?)

External link?

Chamberly
06-22-2015, 08:29 PM
Seem like the link is there. Downloaded and added to my server too! :)

sparky
06-22-2015, 09:32 PM
Seem like the link is there. Downloaded and added to my server too! :)

Well of course it is now! =)

|2ambo
06-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Oh, I didn't realize they did that here........I don't have a website or anywhere to host it from. I could email it to you if you like. Version 2 is gonna have alot of Eye candy in space :)

sparky
06-22-2015, 10:13 PM
Oh, I didn't realize they did that here........I don't have a website or anywhere to host it from. I could email it to you if you like. Version 2 is gonna have alot of Eye candy in space :)
Some admin/moderator approved them at some point today and they're downloadable now.

You could always sign up for dropbox (or drive or any other billion cloud services) - Free 5GB of space. Easy to share.

Chamberly
06-22-2015, 10:14 PM
Me loves some eye candy! It's more likely an admin approval because I don't see such option to approve it.

Well I use Mediafire to host files. :)

(I hate dropbox.)

|2ambo
06-22-2015, 10:29 PM
Hey if its Free, then its me...lol. Im gonna upload it to mapraider tomorrow, then I will have a link for all my maps. Ill look into the fle hosting. Ive seen some that come with free virus's.Or you have to pick the right link out of 5 or its a virus. The few places I have looked at before, all want to give you a website and all that crap..I only need a place to share files, thats it. I thought this was cool here cause you can upload your stuff, and put it in posts. I can understand the reason for approval cause you never know what someone might try putting up here.

Not sure why the boulders dont show up online, its just a setting somewhere I cant find. I tried the alwaysrelative to true but its not working. I think I read somewhere it has to do with gamereplicationinfo or something to that. They wont be needed in V2, there will be plenty of things to look at.

Chamberly
06-22-2015, 10:47 PM
mapraider

I've uploaded my map there over a year ago and they still never got it uploaded. It's better to use something like mediafire or whatever and yes they are free. Only downside with dropbox is everyone have to have an dropbox account to download dropbox files.

But you can also try i4games.eu cuz they host all kinds of map with review there and they are active. Similiar to mapraider but more stuff.
Or I can probably hook you up with someone and give you a nice link like the crystal unreal link like I have on my map download section. ;) Anyone can download it and no registration needed, no advertisement, direct link download. ;)

|2ambo
06-23-2015, 12:19 AM
you can also try i4games.eu cuz they host all kinds of map with review there and they are active.

Sounds Good, Im sure i4games probably have more activity. I forgot about them, their map download speeds are slowwwwwww though.

And the crystal link thingy sounds cool too. :) :) I'm tired, night night.

|2ambo
06-24-2015, 08:08 AM
I went to i4games, and it seems last time maps were added there were in Jan......and I cannot find a upload map link to save my life. Looked in the maps section, my profile section, even looked in the download section thinking there might be a upload option in there but no....its probably right in front of me but I can see it. Why do people run sites if it takes them months to do things?

I had no time to do anything yesterday,

Chamberly Hey Cham, do they have readme generators on I4games, or do you have to make your own readme for your maps?

sparky
06-24-2015, 08:43 AM
Hey |2ambo , if I may make one suggestion for future maps similar to this, create a KillZone at the bottom of the map instead of using the bottom of the "cube" itself. I know it's intended for instagib and shouldn't be a problem most of the time but if translocators are available the bottom can be used to hide with the flag.

I tested the map with a few bots and at one point two of them ended up in the bottom of the map, one of them with a flag. It was impossible to find, I just got lucky and it walked up to me once. Translocator wasn't used for the bot, I think it had been shot and hit a wall and maybe got "hung up" on the way down, preventing it from dying on impact.

Chamberly
06-24-2015, 10:23 AM
Look here they are added almost every other day. Maps - i4Games (http://www.i4games.eu/maps/)

To apply your maps you have to post on the forum and they'll take it up and put it in the maplist they manage.

I don't have any readme generator, but I make my own, usually copy paste or whatever or a short readme or none at all. :)

|2ambo
06-24-2015, 01:14 PM
Hey |2ambo , if I may make one suggestion for future maps similar to this, create a KillZone at the bottom of the map instead of using the bottom of the "cube" itself. I know it's intended for instagib and shouldn't be a problem most of the time but if translocators are available the bottom can be used to hide with the flag.

Shit! I didn't think about the translocator....dammit. I don't see how they could have made it down there, the floor floats right in the middle. Maybe the bot had extra health or something. Yeah I will add a killzone for ver2. Thanks for the tip!

sparky
06-24-2015, 01:19 PM
Shit! I didn't think about the translocator....dammit. I don't see how they could have made it down there, the floor floats right in the middle. Maybe the bot had extra health or something. Yeah I will add a killzone for ver2. Thanks for the tip!

I'm not sure how they got there, my best guess was they were hit with a projectile such as alt ripper which sent them flying. If they hit the wall and there were any of those "invisible cracks" UT likes to stick in there sometimes and they got "stuck" on the way down, their momentum would be slowed and they could have landed on the bottom.

Even besides the bots randomly getting there, I have seen people abuse maps like this by dropping the flag intentionally and then translocating down to wait out a match (these people suck)

|2ambo
06-24-2015, 01:47 PM
I'm not sure how they got there, my best guess was they were hit with a projectile such as alt ripper which sent them flying. If they hit the wall and there were any of those "invisible cracks" UT likes to stick in there sometimes and they got "stuck" on the way down, their momentum would be slowed and they could have landed on the bottom.

Even besides the bots randomly getting there, I have seen people abuse maps like this by dropping the flag intentionally and then translocating down to wait out a match (these people suck)

I tried jumping off with full health and the keg o health, and still splatted on the ground. They must have got stuck on something like you said. I translocated down there, and you cant see anything except space. People that do stuff like that are retarded.

Plus the killzone would make the flag return I think.

--- Updated ---

Look here they are added almost every other day

Sorry Cham, maybe I should have used my glasses :p I thought Jun was Jan :p:hide:

sparky
06-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Plus the killzone would make the flag return I think.

Correct. If you weren't wishing for the flag to return so soon, I understand. One alternative would be make the cube taller, to make the drop take longer, and the kill zone way on the bottom.

Thinking about it, I even wonder if you could add a zone above the killzone with a very low or almost non-existent gravity, if the flag could get suspended there. I assume the player actor would too, so that wouldn't work. Or maybe it would. I think I'll test this out.

|2ambo
06-24-2015, 10:02 PM
Correct. If you weren't wishing for the flag to return so soon, I understand. One alternative would be make the cube taller, to make the drop take longer, and the kill zone way on the bottom.

Thinking about it, I even wonder if you could add a zone above the killzone with a very low or almost non-existent gravity, if the flag could get suspended there. I assume the player actor would too, so that wouldn't work. Or maybe it would. I think I'll test this out.

Ive made maps before, but I dont really know that much about what everything does. If I wanna do something I usually ask someone who knows alot more than me to tell me what to do, or I try looking it up online. Ive never made a space map, so I dont really know much about killzone. There is a zone brush down on the bottom but no zone info in there. I tried with killzone but I still hit the botom, maybe it wasnt high enough. I was going to open up Face, or DiamondSword and see how they did it where when you fell off, everything starts stretching and you die. I would want the fall to last a few seconds before stretching out just to be able to look around for a sec :p There will be things under the floor to look at next version :)

Experiment with what you want, and let me know if you think of a cool idea.

I am by far no master mapper, in fact consider me a born again mapper. Luckily I came across Chamberly to help me with my flag problem. xoxoChamberly

I remember back in my day (2001) There was a mod or mutator for the editor, that also let you physically run around in the map and drop pathnodes with a binded key while running. It sped up the process extremely, did you ever hear of that? What about a pressure zone? Would that make the distorted effect?

Chamberly
06-25-2015, 12:21 AM
I remember back in my day (2001) There was a mod or mutator for the editor, that also let you physically run around in the map and drop pathnodes with a binded key while running. It sped up the process extremely, did you ever hear of that? What about a pressure zone? Would that make the distorted effect?

Holy snap. I wonder where it's at hahaha.

Yw ;) :D

sparky
06-25-2015, 08:10 AM
Ive made maps before, but I dont really know that much about what everything does. If I wanna do something I usually ask someone who knows alot more than me to tell me what to do, or I try looking it up online. Ive never made a space map, so I dont really know much about killzone. There is a zone brush down on the bottom but no zone info in there. I tried with killzone but I still hit the botom, maybe it wasnt high enough. I was going to open up Face, or DiamondSword and see how they did it where when you fell off, everything starts stretching and you die. I would want the fall to last a few seconds before stretching out just to be able to look around for a sec :p There will be things under the floor to look at next version :)

Experiment with what you want, and let me know if you think of a cool idea.

I am by far no master mapper, in fact consider me a born again mapper. Luckily I came across Chamberly to help me with my flag problem. xoxoChamberly

I'm not much of a mapper myself, but I've been tinkering over the last few months, and have learned a few things. I don't know if it's just a kill zone, or perhaps vacuum with kill/death turned on. Or just the killzone needs to be configured.

This may provide some info about the zone properties: Legacy:ZoneInfo (UT) - Unreal Wiki (http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:ZoneInfo_(UT))

This is the tool I think you're talking about for pathing: PathLogic (http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:PathLogic)

|2ambo
06-25-2015, 01:13 PM
I'm not much of a mapper myself, but I've been tinkering over the last few months, and have learned a few things. I don't know if it's just a kill zone, or perhaps vacuum with kill/death turned on. Or just the killzone needs to be configured.

This may provide some info about the zone properties: Legacy:ZoneInfo (UT) - Unreal Wiki

This is the tool I think you're talking about for pathing: PathLogic

Ok, I opened up Diamondsword, and they use a vaccumzone in the middle and a lava zone on the bottom. I set mine up that way, and adjusted a few things, and it works. Now there is no way for something to walk around on the bottom, plus you die before you get there anyway :)

I think pathlogic could have been what I was talking about. I'll find it and try it out. Thanks Sparky :)

Higor
06-25-2015, 01:27 PM
A tutorial for anyone willing to step up his Brushwork (super advanced): https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3934

sparky
06-25-2015, 04:06 PM
Ok, I opened up Diamondsword, and they use a vaccumzone in the middle and a lava zone on the bottom. I set mine up that way, and adjusted a few things, and it works. Now there is no way for something to walk around on the bottom, plus you die before you get there anyway :)

I think pathlogic could have been what I was talking about. I'll find it and try it out. Thanks Sparky :)

Cool! :-D

|2ambo
06-25-2015, 10:35 PM
A tutorial for anyone willing to step up his Brushwork (super advanced): https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3934

Thanks for the tutorial Higor, I looks like a great tutorial. I might have to read it 5 times to understand it, lol. Something to practice when I get some time.