PDA

View Full Version : A question (and rant) about miniguns..

Skarn
06-26-2015, 09:18 AM
If the miniguns have been fixed, why isn't the fix applied to public already? Can't even play a decent game when you got some brainless retards jumping around with minigun killing everything below 2 seconds, no matter their skill or time spent playing UT. It's especially annoying when you plan out some route where you will go and look what type of weapons people use, to predict where they will shoot so you can ultimately dodge or confuse them with your movement, but instead some minigun retard just jumps around to you and you can't even dodge that bullcrap of a weapon and it kills you way too fast than its supposed to. It's ruining the balance and fun of the game and I really ask you to apply the fix on public as soon as possible, because the game is supposed to be fun, not annoying.

Higor
06-26-2015, 11:46 AM
1: Super protector lowers your health to 10 and a shot kills you... well maybe we can work on the health cap to make it 30 instead of 10.
2: Someone mows you down full HP/Armor with a minigun... get good.

SAM
06-26-2015, 01:37 PM
Everyone seems to be complaining about the minigun though? Can you nerf the damage a bit? What is it currently with lcw?

Higor
06-26-2015, 02:03 PM
Didn't nerf the minigun (it already fires one less bullet per second compared to non-mutated mini), I simply added prediction to indirectly buff all other weapons.
Just take a look at the Flak and Rocket usage, it's more common to see those weapons in this version.

UT-Sniper-SJA94
06-26-2015, 02:03 PM
It won't be nerfed because noobs need it.

|uK|chiseller
06-26-2015, 04:07 PM
Sorry, been busy. I'll apply the fix soon if there's no other alternative. It works fine for pug games

|uK|B|aZe//.
06-27-2015, 12:33 PM
On that note Higor im still having rockets disappear on me when im two foot away from someone....

Higor
06-27-2015, 01:47 PM
On that note Higor im still having rockets disappear on me when im two foot away from someone....
I'll fully explain the whole prediction thing when applied to projectiles that use tear-off replication.
These projectiles are flagged as 'bNetTemporary', and their net role is 'ROLE_SimulatedProxy'.
What's so special about these then?
- bNetTemporary means only do initial replication, then let the client's version of the object follow it's cycle is it would normally do on a server.
- ROLE_SimulatedProxy means that it can execute script events (if tagged as simulated) and will have it's velocity replicated to clients.

It's the perfect combination for super low bandwidth projectiles where you simply tell the client where they appear and then you let the client do as the server would do.
It's literally telling the client to simulate a projectile.
This has it's disadvantages too:
- If an unmatching event/object kills the projectile in either client or server, the other end won't know about it and the projectile continues to fly.
- Slight code errors cause, for example, double explosion sound on clients (noticeable on rockets), one sent by server, one caused by client explosion.
- Projectiles that accelerate in some form will desync (guided rockets are the best example).

Now the prediction comes in play here, the LCWeapons prediction will move things on the client's end to attempt to simulate as much as possible the state of the game in the next X milliseconds, which would give the client an impression of what's going to be happening when his actions actually arrive to the server, it's the opposite approach to handling things 'in the past'.
Thing is, prediction isn't certain and definetely not accurate in a game where players can move left to right as quick as a fly, so we also keep the 'in the past' approach for weapons that do have LC code.
There are two types of prediction going on in LCWeapons:
- Sustained: applied to non-bNetTemporary projectiles and pawns (monsters and players).
- One shot: applied to bNetTemporary projectiles.

Sustained prediction will last until the object is deleted and it will constantly apply the player's latency (capped at MS cap set by config) plus some interpolations to guess a future position.
One shot prediction will make time run twice as fast on a just spawned projectile for the player's latency (capped at MS cap set by config) to smoothly move the projectile ahead, then drop advancement once the projectile is fully adjusted.

This obviously brings a small gap where shooting at something that's really close to you may not cause a visible hit, or the other way around.
Simply because your target is being fully predicted, while your projectile is being slowly predicted for a very small amount of time.

Ways to solve these issues:
- Make the initial 'smooth' prediction go 4x faster, so tear-off projectiles are adjusted faster (causes the impression that your projectile is really fast for a small amount of time)
-- This doesn't address the problem when the Sustained prediction isn't properly showing the position of a player changing directions too fast (projectile may visibly miss, or the other way around).
- Remove tear-off replication in some projectiles and have them notify the clients of their destruction.
-- Takes more bandwidth and channels, but completely solves the issue.

TimTim
06-27-2015, 04:05 PM
Higor I think people care more about whether or not something just works, rather than how/why it functions the way it does. Just my $0.02.

Kate*Bush
06-27-2015, 06:48 PM
You should not break something that works perfectly. Beach SIEGE - SR & mines
Something competent to add - why not ?!
bunny I was invited somewhere, but I don't understand where, on a normal server banned with the message "gg cu"
I no snot know that playing "gg" !)
Shorter less smart and more correct decisions. Bye !

Chamberly
06-27-2015, 08:26 PM
I think people care more about whether or not something just works, rather than how/why it functions the way it does. Just my $0.02.

I think so as well. Many peoples are like this. :(

DontWorryBeHappy
06-28-2015, 06:50 AM
Higor, I'm glad you elaborated on this rocket thing.

TimTim, I think it was you who referred to an ACE config guide in another thread. I wanted to say "THX!" because my connection has become much better now and also my ping is way down from where it was with Siege 18 being fresh and all.

Regarding the minigun, I think it would be unfair to strip children like Pidorman and others from their privilege to use a really OP gun that needs no skill at all to make "dem fragz". These guys are always good for a laugh or two.

|uK|fleecey
06-29-2015, 07:21 AM
You should not break something that works perfectly. Beach SIEGE - SR & mines
Something competent to add - why not ?!
bunny I was invited somewhere, but I don't understand where, on a normal server banned with the message "gg cu"
I no snot know that playing "gg" !)
Shorter less smart and more correct decisions. Bye !

I have told someone to look into this

BONZ
06-29-2015, 07:29 AM
I dont know that minigun is OP. It's the gun I use the least because I have less success with it. I find if you run a tight circle round the minigunner, moving closer and further away with a pulse rifle, you will win most of the time.

A pack of n00b minigunners are dangerous though, best to try and split them up and engage them separately if possible