PDA

View Full Version : about PING

soma
11-24-2015, 12:53 PM
Since so many people keep complaining or blaming ping for how they do while playing ut, I thought I'd share my personal view.

Ever since I can remember I used have ping between 75-95 on the servers where i used to play. Never played on us server because i used have over 150 while on uk I used to have around 70. As many other players I envied those who had thirtish ping or below thinking it will make myself play better.

And suddenly with this new barely 36mb/s optical fibre connection plus the change of ip address of uk server I have 38-42 ping on uk where I spent almost 600h playing before and I can tell you one thing

PING makes NO DIFFERENCE , even on us when my ping is now around 130 I still get the same results...

P.S. Actually I get better results but only because I've played ctf for the last 6 years (and for 10 years before that - instgib DM) and gained more exprerience plus new inis...

P.P.S If your ping is over 200 you can start complaining

:D

TimTim
11-25-2015, 02:06 AM
Ping used to make a difference. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Chamberly
11-25-2015, 03:04 AM
Try joining a server that doesn't use nn, LC, or zp then try it out with your ping on different servers. :P

Cella_V2
11-25-2015, 03:18 AM
I can adjust to different pings on a long term. But having non-consistent ping is just dead annoying to deal with.

Blackdeath
11-25-2015, 06:17 AM
And suddenly with this new barely 36mb/s optical fibre connection plus the change of ip address of uk server I have 38-42 ping on uk where I spent almost 600h playing before and I can tell you one thing

PING makes NO DIFFERENCE , even on us when my ping is now around 130 I still get the same results...

:D

Server with zp or newnet mutators is another world (the high ping players still thank)

Can't forget server host, wifi/ethernet, line quality in general (not all have fiber :( )

To Say that ping makes no difference, especially in ig servers, is simply wrong. For how much the newnet can help, a player with ping 20 will see you before ALWAYS. It's possible that with fiber the gap decreased (or better feeling), but stay. I'd be curious to see UK players with ping 20 to 150, normal ADSL, If they preserve same eff/accuracy :)

soma
11-25-2015, 06:36 AM
Lol ok I see you choose to believe in nothing

I still have my old adsl 10 mb running so I can compare it easily :D

To Chamberly: who plays on non zp servers lol

uranus
11-25-2015, 07:47 AM
simply wrong
Do you even newnet, bro?

Blackdeath
11-25-2015, 08:18 AM
Do you even newnet, bro?

Are you talking about my clan server? Yes we have

HIGH[+]AdRiaN
11-25-2015, 10:13 AM
with newnet ping 0-150 is the same. with lc almost weapons have problems with any ping, except enforcer, insta, sniper and shock PRIMARY (LC sucks)

uranus
11-25-2015, 10:58 AM
prego perdonatemi Stavo scherzando

Blackdeath
11-25-2015, 11:01 AM
AdRiaN;102735']with newnet ping 0-150 is the same. with lc almost weapons have problems with any ping, except enforcer, insta, sniper and shock PRIMARY (LC sucks)

In part I'm agree with you about Siege, where you not die with 1 shot. Ping handicap is lower. On ig can't compare 20-150, the difference in "corners maps" (Control, Gauntlet, Duku; Broken Limits ecc..) is evident

HIGH[+]AdRiaN
11-25-2015, 11:10 AM
difference in "corners maps"
Yes, you are right. In siege we have more openned maps and the players dont use much the walls for protect themselves. I dont like to play insta in maps like duku because i see the players with 150ms delay, many times when he appears from behind a wall he already killed before this 150 ping time, and i die even hitting him with my 1st fire (that does not existed for the server side).
Funny is see players with low ping saying that is better play with high ping... They just dont know how is to play with high ping, die even hitting the enemy in the right time he appears in your screen

Blackdeath
11-25-2015, 11:24 AM
AdRiaN;102744']Yes, you are right. In siege we have more openned maps and the players dont use much the walls for protect themselves. I dont like to play insta in maps like duku because i see the players with 150ms delay, many times when he appears from behind a wall he already killed before this 150 ping time, and i die even hitting him with my 1st fire (that does not existed for the server side).

I HATE GAUNTLET FOR THIS :D

AdRiaN;102744']Funny is see players with low ping saying that is better play with high ping... They just dont know how is to play with high ping, die even hitting the enemy in the right time he appears in your screen

+1

soma
11-25-2015, 12:08 PM
In part I'm agree with you about Siege, where you not die with 1 shot. Ping handicap is lower. On ig can't compare 20-150, the difference in "corners maps" (Control, Gauntlet, Duku; Broken Limits ecc..) is evident

What is evident for me is that even though you try to make your point by grasping at extremes like a difference between 20 -150 your still wrong because there are so many other variabales in instagib ctf like : one's current form/skill, different opponents, different maps - for others it is the tickrate or netspeed, or simply just your settings plus the hardware you use and most importanly LUCK which all comes down to one thing - you can't take all this into account at the same time and that's why I think one other variable like ping makes no difference...that's is of course not the case if your godlike and you can predict all these and other variables which in your case leaves ping...

P.S. Maybe you should adjust you game to new rules and people instead of believing in what you think is the key factor

UT-Sniper-SJA94
11-25-2015, 12:36 PM
AdRiaN;102744']Yes, you are right. In siege we have more openned maps and the players dont use much the walls for protect themselves. I dont like to play insta in maps like duku because i see the players with 150ms delay, many times when he appears from behind a wall he already killed before this 150 ping time, and i die even hitting him with my 1st fire (that does not existed for the server side).
Funny is see players with low ping saying that is better play with high ping... They just dont know how is to play with high ping, die even hitting the enemy in the right time he appears in your screen

The only place I've seen high ping players having an advantage is on the combo server, you have to guess where the shock combo explosion is, because its never where you see the beam hit the shock ball because of the way its replicated, making it much harder to avoid.

HIGH[+]AdRiaN
11-25-2015, 02:02 PM
The only place I've seen high ping players having an advantage is on the combo server, you have to guess where the shock combo explosion is, because its never where you see the beam hit the shock ball because of the way its replicated, making it much harder to avoid.
This is not a disadvantage, because the same happen if you play with high ping, and this issue happens even in newnet servers... You see the projectles x ping delayed, it's almost impossible dodge rockets or combos with high ping, because when you see it, you already received the damage.

Blackdeath
11-25-2015, 03:33 PM
What is evident for me is that even though you try to make your point by grasping at extremes like a difference between 20 -150 your still wrong because there are so many other variabales in instagib ctf like : one's current form/skill, different opponents, different maps - for others it is the tickrate or netspeed, or simply just your settings plus the hardware you use and most importanly LUCK which all comes down to one thing - you can't take all this into account at the same time and that's why I think one other variable like ping makes no difference...that's is of course not the case if your godlike and you can predict all these and other variables which in your case leaves ping...

P.S. Maybe you should adjust you game to new rules and people instead of believing in what you think is the key factor

I've taken extremes because your affermation was: "ping 0 or 150 is same". Don't put other things in speech

My intent, or If you prefer IMHO, was dispute a questionable assertion. I've played enough for know all variables you've listed (ex. increase tickrate> easier shots). When you've played for years in the same 7-8 CTF maps you should be know perfectly, if not at memory, style/strategy to apply. This regardless your skill.
Objectively, in some situations, you realize to see your enemy with delay (Adrian's example was perfect). All decent players without optimal ping know it.

Sure newnet helps, not do miracles :)

Higor
11-25-2015, 05:25 PM
AdRiaN;102755]when you see it, you already received the damage.
Tell me the truth, it's way easier to avoid projectile hits on Siege right?

HIGH[+]AdRiaN
11-25-2015, 08:04 PM
Tell me the truth, it's way easier to avoid projectile hits on Siege right?
yes, this is true. In newnet servers i always receive "invisible" projectiles damages in high ping servers, but in siege at least i feel like i can see the true position of projectiles. But on the other hand, in newnet my projectiles have 0 ping delay and in siege it have [x] ping delay, this is terrible especially for shock combo users, i almost dont use shock in siege and when i try i cant hit even 20% of combos that i usually can. Dodge also lags me if my ping be more than 170. The experience for use all the weapons is for sure better with newnet, but for dodge siege netcode is better.

Higor
11-25-2015, 09:51 PM
It's a matter of taste, I'd never stand getting hit undodgable projectiles lol, even if it hinders my ability to hit others with them.

TimTim
11-25-2015, 10:29 PM
There is a bug with the rocket launcher in the later versions of NN which causes people to sometimes inadvertently fire an extra rocket that other players are unable to see. This also affects the spread of the rockets and would explain the inability to dodge them sometimes (since 1 rocket is literally invisible and/or the spread appears to be completely different). With earlier versions of NN, the rockets were perfectly predictable and easily dodgeable, which I tested with chicken (and his high, unstable ping) for hours lol. The bug was introduced when I hacked together the clientside weapon switching, which I think somehow allows the rocket launcher's loaded count to get out of sync with the server, possibly due to a race condition. The clientside weapon switching was quite a hackjob since Epic didn't design replication to be overridden and I wasn't about to rewrite even more of the game to make it an ideal implementation lol. ;)

soma
11-26-2015, 12:35 AM
I've taken extremes because your affermation was: "ping 0 or 150 is same". Don't put other things in speech

My intent, or If you prefer IMHO, was dispute a questionable assertion. I've played enough for know all variables you've listed (ex. increase tickrate> easier shots). When you've played for years in the same 7-8 CTF maps you should be know perfectly, if not at memory, style/strategy to apply. This regardless your skill.
Objectively, in some situations, you realize to see your enemy with delay (Adrian's example was perfect). All decent players without optimal ping know it.Sure newnet helps, not do miracles :)

I don't know what connection you use , but I admit I've never experiencened the delays you metnion thus I'd gladly take your knowledge and skill and give you my ping instead.

peace