PDA

View Full Version : Review the Defending Rule Please

Apoc1
09-08-2016, 05:47 PM
I know the answer will probably be no but would the admins please consider a review on the "allow to defend" rule for the iCTF servers please.

I think a lot of players who play on the UK and US servers would like this rule to be removed or changed to make the game better, these are public servers so theres no ladders or cups to win or a prize for coming first but certain players insist on defending for 15 mins non stop on certain maps which imo pisses a lot of "average" players off who play just to compete on an equal level, yes there are better players than others but the whole fun seems to be sucked out when you try to attack only to see the same people in base camp defending the flag.

If they are that good at defending then they are the same at attack and 6v6 attack would be more open, certain maps like Bolt, Duku and Control you more times than not will spawn in base so you can naturally defend when a flag is taken but more open maps like like Broken, Bleak Gauntlet you find players do not stick in base and will attack more hence the game is is more open and players dont go for flag kills to get a high score or improve acc and stats.

I know the servers are usually quite full but i think they would be more full for longer if players knew they would have a better game if everyone was to compete on a more equal play field where a chance to win or cap wasnt spoilt by a few individuals who just want to to come first in flag kills or points.

Hajrudin
09-10-2016, 04:16 AM
guess there is quite some room to at least tweak that rule, eventhough there is not that much defending going on
imo defense is for pickups and shouldnt be a thing on publics, especially on maps where u spawn next to the flag like w00t control bolt etc. and even gauntlet
i personally dont mind defense on "normal" maps, but it can literally kill the balance if one team has a defender while the other doesnt (huge difference on command/sprinta for example)
even worse if its a decent one
probably also very frustrating for less good players to run into them

][X][~FLuKE~][X][
09-10-2016, 08:13 AM
It depends on map size. If you can see mid or enemy flag and stay in your base fragging, you are breaking the rule. If you can only see mid, its still breaking the rule. If you have no line of sight to either, then it is defending. As long as you are close to your flag and not chasing anyone and shooting them in the back, then there shouldn't be a problem. Maps like bolt for example, you cannot defend because of its size. Maps at least the floor size of fragwhore, XL (LGi) version are what you need to keep in mind when defending.

One thing I will say though is if you are warned, then stop and get back to running. There is no point arguing at all as it will just force the mod to take action and throw you out. Most actions are at the mods discretion depending on the situation, just don't argue, it isn't worth it.

Hopefully that makes it a little clearer on how the rules would be in regard to defending from a mods point of view. That's how I enforce the rule. I would also suggest you keep switching from defending to running, get a few grabs under your belt and camping (defending rule) won't be a strong case.