User Tag List

Windows 8 wifi problem

I'm having my first real problem with my new pc, the wifi is ridiculously slow, my router is about 4 feet away from my pc, I never had this problem on my windows 7 pc.

Speedtest with cable:

Speedtest with wifi:

What router? And what adapter?

Also, if it's only 4 feet away, just use an ethernet cable lol. But I can understand wanting to fix the WiFi problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TimTim View Post
    What router? And what adapter?

Also, if it's only 4 feet away, just use an ethernet cable lol. But I can understand wanting to fix the WiFi problem.

I don't need it now,but I will most likely need it in my new house soon, I haven't checked what one it is yet, I'll have to pull my pc out/look at the manual, it's built in that's all I know atm lol.

I'm like the only one that had a hole drilled in a wall to pass a cable through it so i don't use wifi. Router with cables. Wifi = always seems to be problematic!

Quote Originally Posted by Janssen View Post
    I'm like the only one that had a hole drilled in a wall to pass a cable through it so i don't use wifi. Router with cables. Wifi = always seems to be problematic!
    Wifi increases latency and reduces your speed as more mobile phones start logging in, all of the computers on my house run on LAN while phones, tablets and laptops run on wifi.
    Result? 0ms ping to the router and guaranteed 100mbps connection on the fixed terminals.

--- Updated ---

Being the inhouse tech support family member, I'm the one that has the router (and because my door is the one that covers the entire house the best for wifi).

I finally got my connection up in my new house , finally got connected to the internet on my pc without windows crashing, I'm using my old netgear n150 wireless adapter, because the built in wireless card is complete crap, it can't even pick up any networks unless they are 0.0005cm away from it, and even then it only gets about 10% signal.

Wirless card is a ASUS PCE-N10 11n Wireless LAN PCI-E Card

Hi, just a note here. With WiFi, I have found that it does not matter how close you are to the router....in fact, the closer you are to the wireless router, the worse the connection gets.....

You should monitor your wireless "noise". I'm sure I've explained this before somewhere on this forum.

Basically, think of it like this:
    If there are ten people outside in the park, relatively close by in a square meter. All shouting - you'd only hear the loudest person. Everyone else would all be classes as additional noise. The same thing with wireless really. You think about how many wireless devices, routers, etc are broadcasting these days, it causes a lot of interference.

You should analyse your local environment. Check which channels the routers on your street are broadcasting and pick the one that is least congested and has least overlaps.

It does seem like you've fixed the issue? However, just food for thought to others.

I've sorted it, I'm using my wkrless adapter, my wireless card can't pick up anything 99% of the time, I just disabled it completely.

Thread Information