Bought the new PSU..But my PC Restarts with heavy games

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Bought the new PSU..But my PC Restarts with heavy games

So u guys know i bought a 9800 GT Green edition not long ago, but i was using a 250w (real) PSU wich "didnt" allow me to play games with very good graphics, i couldnt even play FEAR without crashing and restarting, i told u guys my problem and yeah i bought a 600w Real PSU Coolermaster http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=5906

Wich didnt solve the problem... Looks like it is the GPU temperature, now i play Fallout 3 (wich is way better in graphics than FEAR) withut any problem when i play it with ULTRA High graphics ON Window mode (1440*900) resolution, my GPU temp gets to 67-70 Celcius but i can play hours without any problem...

But here is the thing... I cant play it on FullScreen, looks like when its past 5 minutes or more, lots of green blue and red dots appear on the screen and it freezes, then the Monitor is turned off and ive got to turn off the PC :S

Maybe it is the temperature i just want to know ur opinions...

Here is my hardware anyway...

Operating System
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 47 °C
    Brisbane 65nm Technology
    RAM
    3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 387MHz (6-6-6-18)
    Motherboard
    ECS Nettle3 (Socket AM2 )
    Graphics
    HP w2007 @ 1680x1050
    1024MB GeForce 9800 GT (Undefined) 48 °C
    Hard Drives
    488GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD501LJ SCSI Disk Device (ATA)
    Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653Q SCSI CdRom Device
    VQF J0XIZWTER0X SCSI CdRom Device

Here are my GPU specs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814134082

Please help me guys i want to be a hardcore gamer Dx !!1

EDIT:

My processor is reaching 82+ CELCIUS for both cores wich is dangerous ! im planning on buying some coolers for both processor and case, i need some of u guys to recommend good cooling system since idk anything about them !. Thanks !
    Last edited by |uK|Chronox; 03-05-2011 at 07:17 PM.
    "Tactical Suicide!"

ut isnt a heavy game, you dont need help

K just tested again with full screen, now with my air conditioner on (since its like 30 celcius here in my city) And it seems i can play without crashig so it might be the temperature, both processor and gpu's. But i will keep looking if thats the problem... I cant be ram since i can play other games all day without problems, besides cooling system are cheap :P

Please help me with ur opinions !
    "Tactical Suicide!"

Make sure you have the very latest drivers for the video card. Go to nvidia and check. It may not have the proper fan settings and the card is overheating. Make sure the video card is not overclocked.

Why 3 gigs of ram in a dual channel mother board? How is this possible? Either 2 or 4, but 3? You sure it's not a tri channel mb?

Do you have your bios set up so you can see the GPU and CPU temps? Run those during gaming and see what you get.

Lastly, the card could be defective. If you have another video card available I would swap and see what happens.

Tooly:

Yes i ve got the latest drivers for my GPU (realeased on Jan 18th this year).

I ve got 4 slots for ram im using 2 1GB DDR2 RAM and 2 512MB DDR2 RAM.

Idk much about that but i use hwmonitor to check my CPU and GPU temperatures, including fan speeds and Voltages, i also use the Nvidia System monitor wich shows me CPU and GPU temperatures too with their fan speeds.

Lastly i dont have any other video card but i used to have a 7600 GT(and a 2GB DDR2 RAM) borrowed from my cousin who lived here last year, i used to play any game with them without any problem, including FEAR and CoDMW obviously with lag but without crashing.(with the old 250w PSU i had until yesterday, now im using the new one i posted)

I played today with the hwmonitor on Fullscreen with max resolution and settings for Fallout 3 (way heavier than FEAR) and i didnt crash.. But both CPU and GPU temperatures rose in an alarming rate, same with the fan speeds, the gpu reached 70 Celcius and the CPU 60+, howewer the fan speeds werent at their max speed rate (only at 70%).

BTW i played today with my air conditioner on, the temperatures decreased a bit.. like 4- celcius less...

Maybe i need a new cooling system... What do u think ?
    "Tactical Suicide!"

So with everything on max settings, you get 70ºC on GPU and 60+ºC on the CPU. Well, having a better cooling system is always positive for your system performance and lifespan, however those temperatures are normal at that ambient temperature.

As for the fan speed, you can set it manually to run at 100% in BIOS or with SpeedFan, but the noise is just too great and it's not very good to the fan (we're talking about 3000 to 4000 rpm at max speed).

Also, it's not the CPU crashing the PC, even being an AMD, I think they already added the throttle security functionality to the new CPUs (something that already exists in INTEL for years), so at max your game would just start to lag more and more as the CPU reduced its clock drastically to attempt to reduce the temperature to save the CPU, but the crashings are most likelly from the GPU indeed.

But again, it's well thought to enhance the cooling of your computer indeed, start adding a fan to the rear and another to the front. I have just a small one exhausting air from the box in the rear, and I can say it reduced the overall temperature in around 10+ºC (to the point that my Dual Core CPU in idle has pretty much the same temperature as the ambient one of my room, if it's 22ºC in my room, my CPU is also at 22ºC on idle, very cool in the summer when temperatures rise up to 35+ºC).

Thanks for the tip feralidragon, yeah i think its the GPU.. And i know i can set up the fan speeds manually but i better not mess with it, anyway it seems i can play normally with my air conditioner ON, wich lowers a bit the temperature..

I might improve the cooling in my PC, since they are cheap wich ones would u recommend to me ?

Thanks in advance !
    "Tactical Suicide!"

The Best There Ever Will Be! |uK|B|aZe//.'s Avatar
    just get arctic cooling fans think of your pc like an exhaust

one pulls air in really fast.....

the other pulls air out really fast.....

try not to surround the fans around anything as well

It could be that the Geforce 9800 sucks when it goes past 60. I also have a 9800 and can't push it past 50 for very long without green artifacts and fucked up meshes popping up everywhere. Wanna play the Witcher with some graphics mods at 2048 X 1536? Forget about it. If you use the driver's anti-aliasing and texture sharpening features, then your asking for failure. Your best bet is to slap an after-market cooler on that thing like I did on my card.

Ok looks like i must get a new cooling system :P wich ones do you reccomend to me ? idk much about cooling fans and shit, wich trades and products should i buy ?

I have like 80 $ Here so dont post a very expensive shit :P
    "Tactical Suicide!"

Thread Information