User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Computer blacks out after bootup or resumed from hibernation

So recently I am running windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, basically after re-installing the OS after a while of restoring everything, ever time I boot up or resume from hibernation the computer goes black screen, I go into more detail below.

As the computer boots up it's fans speed up and then slow down back to the normal speed.

As the machine boots up it's fans will go high and then back down.
    As the OS boots up easily to the log in page, I log in a few seconds later even after loading is done the computer's fans will speed up and then back down half a second and a black screen remains and I have to reboot it.

Now sometimes when I bootup on the asus splash or in the Verbose area it says
    "Enable unleashing mode failed" and basically resets my core unlocker.

I ran my processor in another machine, worked well.

Here's the specs regarding that "motherboard" with issues that I bought and so far sails smooth but this issue is becoming a pain as it is ruining my hard drive.

Motherboard: Asus m4a78t-e
    Central Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945 3.2Ghz
    Operating System: Asus Xpress Gate, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Random Access Memory: Adata gaming series 2 X 2 GB DDR3 1600
    Hard drive(Storage Device): 2 80-gig Sata 6/GB, 1 300-gig Sata 6/GB
    Power Supply: 400 WATT
    Internet Adapter: Linksys Wi-Fi Adapter
    Graphics card: Geforce GTS 240 1GB GDDR5

I will attempt to look for and post the startup logs if I can catch another black screen.

Thanks for the help!

I get simular problems....Only it black screens in youtube or photobucket (or any uploading, buffering things) after I either go in to sleep mode or UT (I know odd for UT idk you tell me.). lol

Start in Safe mode (hold down F8 after BIOS posts (or starts)). Log in .. press <windows key> R and type eventvwr.exe check the system logs for and RED Exclamation points or ERRORS...

FootNote: Installing an OS is NOT as straight forward as < PUT IN CD AND CLICK GO>.. should only be handled by Technicians... Call and ASK for quote from local computer store for COMPLETE install with my own Windows 7. Also, ask if you can be present when the install occurs. (it's your money.. You should be allowed to watch)

Ok in short - I have to leave for work in 5 minutes. Without seeing the computer and having a look myself, my initial thought is, this sounds like a motherboard issue to me. "Enable unleashing mode failed" is actually for AMD CPUs to unlock cores. Try disabling "unleashing mode" within the BIOS. You might also want to try updating the BIOS if it still does not work after disabling.

Couldn't it be that the way Windows 7 hibernates simply sucks under certain specific hardware?
    That all sounds OS to me, Linux has also the same problem (or similar) way too many times.

If it works by shutting down and totally rebooting, and just doesn't work well in the specific situation of hibernation, it's most likely an OS problem imo and not hardware itself (remember that the OS controls the whole hardware at low level?), personally unless you absolutely need the hibernation to work, I wouldn't worry much about that until the next update.

Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by $carface View Post
    Ok in short - I have to leave for work in 5 minutes. Without seeing the computer and having a look myself, my initial thought is, this sounds like a motherboard issue to me. "Enable unleashing mode failed" is actually for AMD CPUs to unlock cores. Try disabling "unleashing mode" within the BIOS. You might also want to try updating the BIOS if it still does not work after disabling.
    This is good advice although i would not reccommend you update your bios unless you know what you are doing, bricking a bios will shut your board down if done wrong and will be costly to replace.

Eventviewer may possibly show a service error if the unleashing mode of the board requires a driver to be installed, make sure you have installed all drivers that come with the mainboard CD although normally a driver issue will invoke a BSOD, not black screen.

so first step is to disable unleashing mode in bios (pressing DEL or F2 at startup/post for asus) then see how you go.

That's true, Driver issue's do invoke the BSOD, but it's not completing the LOGIN and doesn't restart? So it must be hung on something.

Here's some more detail about my motherboard..

I updated the BIOS to the latest 3503( 4/13/11).
    I had to do this before JUST to have the motherboard boot off a usb in the past.

The asus m4a78t-e is known to have many issues such as Dead on Arrival, the ethernet chip giving up, scratchy or dead audio. I will try to disable unleashing mode and see for a bit, I will get back to you guys.

But if I could have this question answered, can windows 7 possibly have this issue? I know that I entirely have no viruses as I run the highest product from AVG anti-virus.

Thank you for your time in helping me.
    I have just disabled unleashing mode.

Quote Originally Posted by .se\/ered.][ View Post
    That's true, Driver issue's do invoke the BSOD, but it's not completing the LOGIN and doesn't restart? So it must be hung on something.
    missed where he said black screen from clicking login, might be worth popping in the Win7 disc and booting from it and click repair computer and see if it finds any issues, this sounds like account corruption or worse O.S corruption.

i have dealt with a lot of machines similar to this and rarely have they gotten away without having to re-install the O.S, some can be salvaged by creating a new Admin/user account and transferring but as you have recently installed then you might as well format and start again.

an O.S install is not always as straight forward as it seems.

I missed that too fluke. You should try a clean format. I think since you have ran your CPU in another machine it still may lay with your motherboard.....but try a format.

Thread Information