User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Issues With Recent Server Changes

So I've noticed a few things about the server lately:
    - You aren't allowed to spec without special permission for longer than a short timeout.
    - You aren't allowed to switch teams under any circumstances.
    - The thing that blocks your vision during spec also blocks vision after disconnection or the game is over.

Now, I understand why this was done - Mainly to avoid abuse of team switching or spec cheating.

However, here are some pretty tangible drawbacks to this:
    - Stacked teams can't be unstacked manually
    - When the server is at capacity, you have no option of watching
    - The buggy "spec plus" window makes it a real pain in the ass when trying to vote or access the console, often forcing me to resort to restarting UT to get rid of it

The fact that these measures had to be put into place points to two larger underlying problems, however. The first is that people don't like to lose to the point that they will intentionally switch from their original team in order to win the game, whether through spec or otherwise. (I've been accused of this more than once and suspect that I had something to do with the implementation of these updates, but that should be discussed in another thread.)

The second is far more important and in some capacity causes the first: team balance on the public server is practically nonexistent. This holds especially true when new players come in; regardless of the stat changes the player would cause, they are added to the team with fewer players or that is losing.

Neither a game where one doesn't have to try in order to win nor a game where effort doesn't change one's inevitable defeat are fun. Besides discussion of the above issues, I think it's time the balance issue was discussed and possibly addressed.

I might be talking about alternative suggestions later, but it's 3 AM. Most of what I've written above probably doesn't make a lot of sense. Chocolate Peeps for Easter.

EDIT: Never mind. Ok, here are some alternative ideas:

>>>>SUGGESTIONS! <<<<

- If someone rage quits, they probably need to cool down anyway: let them spec, but disallow them from rejoining the game for ten minutes or until the next round begins.
    - Possibly apply this to all incoming non-admin spectators.
    - Disallow or password protect private messaging non-admin players during spectate, not spectate itself. Public messages can easily be spotted and reported as spec cheating as appropriate.
    - Allow team switching, but only from high stat to low stat teams.
    - Smart sorting of incoming players: Weigh stat changes, add all incoming players to stat-low team, regardless of the difference in the number of players on each team. If !t is used with number-uneven teams, move the player who will equalize the stats to the other team. (I think this last bit is already done, but...)
    Last edited by Scourge; 05-06-2012 at 01:12 AM.

I tried connecting today and it just hangs for a second or 2 then it says connection failed? Is this a server issue or something else? I can see players in the game I just can't connect. It was fine last night. Any input....thanks.

If you are trying to enter as a spectator you will be unable to.

the server was probably full

No it wasn't as spectator....I tried both actually and still says connection failed....thanks.

Can you try again now?

ye sam when i join spec then leave the blackscreen with the password shit is still there i cant open xconsole i have to click 5 times esc or something to get it away and its annoying lol

the solution is simple. You know you can't spec so don't try to and then you won't have this problem

We want spec slots! Maybe a poll?

Quote Originally Posted by terminator View Post
    We want spec slots! Maybe a poll?
    termi sam wont make a poll because he knows "allow specs" will win ( sam)

Thread Information