User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NUKE SIREN!

NUKE SIREN!

did anyone else have seen problems with the nuke siren? what i mean is: its going of for 1-3 sec and when the nuker is right in our base the nuke siren stops saying incoming nuker but still flashing. if anyone else have seen this problem please post it here so maybe SilverWing can fix this.

yeah i noticed this problem to!

I believe the Nuke Siren system should be entirely reviewed.
    The GameReplicationInfo actor should handle some of the alarm system, by replicating (4 + 1*nukesiren) variables and simulating the remaining code which includes sounds and lights.
    The current method doesn't even allow the alarm sound to loop and overflows the screen with messages, blocking timer events.

============
    Recommended method:

GRI actor: 4 replicated variables.
    bool bRedAlarm, bBlueAlarm, bGreenAlarm, bGoldAlarm;

Nuke siren actor: (if relevant) 1 replicated variable.
    bool bAlarmTriggered;

====
    Simulation:
    On GRI, 2 variables:
    PlayerPawn LocalPlayer; (this is the viewport player)
    bool bHadAlarm;
    On Tick() or Timer(), first find the local player, then compare the bHadAlarm with the corresponding bTeamAlarm (replicated), if they are different, play/stop alarm sounds.
    The alarm sound will be played clientside every 7 seconds (which will make it appear it's looping).

Do the same on the NukeSiren actor, and make it change lighting (flashing?) when there is a corresponding alarm event.
    Don't simulate light changes on enemy players to avoid detection.

Quote Originally Posted by Higor View Post
    I believe the Nuke Siren system should be entirely reviewed.
    The GameReplicationInfo actor should handle some of the alarm system, by replicating (4 + 1*nukesiren) variables and simulating the remaining code which includes sounds and lights.
    The current method doesn't even allow the alarm sound to loop and overflows the screen with messages, blocking timer events.

============
    Recommended method:

GRI actor: 4 replicated variables.
    bool bRedAlarm, bBlueAlarm, bGreenAlarm, bGoldAlarm;

Nuke siren actor: (if relevant) 1 replicated variable.
    bool bAlarmTriggered;

====
    Simulation:
    On GRI, 2 variables:
    PlayerPawn LocalPlayer; (this is the viewport player)
    bool bHadAlarm;
    On Tick() or Timer(), first find the local player, then compare the bHadAlarm with the corresponding bTeamAlarm (replicated), if they are different, play/stop alarm sounds.
    The alarm sound will be played clientside every 7 seconds (which will make it appear it's looping).

Do the same on the NukeSiren actor, and make it change lighting (flashing?) when there is a corresponding alarm event.
    Don't simulate light changes on enemy players to avoid detection.
    Could you explain for us in english or spanish please, because its definitely an interesting topic
    Season ranks: MLSG - #45 Semis, MLSG II - #38 Finals, MLSG III - #34 Finals, GU.Siege - #32 5th Place, IST - #11 CHAMPION

So far, notifications are handled via the messaging system, which triggers the alarm sounds.

The messaging system is the one that gives for example, the headshot messages to the player.
    This is done via a replicated function call, which is triggered every (1 / game speed scale) seconds by the nuker finding iterator.

This new method involves replicating to all players 4 variables, which are the team nuke states, these variables can only be set as FALSE(default) or TRUE.
    The client machine is tasked figure out if his team's alarm state has changed and to either play or stop the sounds.
    This is what we call clientside simulation, because the server only tells us the states TRUE or FALSE and is up to the clients to play the sounds and give the local player the INCOMING NUKER messages.

A similar method can be applied to make the Nuke Siren glow on client machines without having the lighting variables sent by the server, this approach is already in use in my new Teleporter code with the spinning.

=========
    Also, the Nuke Siren has a bug that will overflow server logs with 'Accessed None' warnings if any player throws his Nuke to the ground, or if any spectator approaches the Siren's detection radius.
    This routine should first rule out spectators and then check if the nuke exists in the first place, this will obviously make it slower at some point, but it's better not make the log files grow to tremendous sizes.

In a different point of view (discarding the proposed fixes), the Nuke detection method has become a little faster since it uses FindInventoryType function, which has been hacked in a previous fix to make it faster when it comes to finding ammo-carrying weapons.

Not only that it Spam's the log with Incoming Nuker messages too.. quite annoying. And I thought that it already flashed when a nuke was incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by .se\/ered.][ View Post
    Not only that it Spam's the log with Incoming Nuker messages too.. quite annoying. And I thought that it already flashed when a nuke was incoming.
    Yeah same with the message that the core is getting hit, console just wont be useful after that
    Season ranks: MLSG - #45 Semis, MLSG II - #38 Finals, MLSG III - #34 Finals, GU.Siege - #32 5th Place, IST - #11 CHAMPION

It's not just the nuke siren, it's the emp & neutron sign too, it never shows up.. just at times, but not often. At least in the public server...

The thing is, this never has happened before when we first released the version of Siege and now it happened out of no where... it might be just server side or it could be siege.

I think the light shold be replicated on both sides or have no light at all. It's silly that the red team sees the light flashing from the nuke siren and the alternate reality the blue team inhabits there is no light flashing which is just silly. I know this is UNREAL tournament and all but sometimes I ask for just a little bit of logic in the gameplay. I understand what you mean and the intensions are good

Oh BTW SPAM VICTORY!

Thread Information