Map Concept

User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Map Concept

Map Concept

Siege and possibly CTF map concept.

Warning, over 9000 seconds on MSPaint.

Special points to take into consideration:
    - The tunnels above the portals are a long fall, death is almost ensured.
    - The blast holes allow enemies with nukes or translocator to reach the core after sorting all other natural defenses.
    - The underground river is very long and will require ScubaGear to cross it.

Game progress will determine availability of entrances:
    - First, crossing through the portals will be the fastest and most effective way.
    - Secondly, when time isn't critical for basic buildings, the river tunnels become an alternate choice.
    - Thirdly, with more RU at disposal, using the river will be a good choice to surprise enemies.
    - And last, using translocator or boots + shield to enter the base using the tunnel above the portal becomes possible.

Good Teleporters:
    - Underground river, close to enemy base.
    - Mountaintop, 360º sniping + item. (sniping or being sniped).
    - Mini bases, control both to either create a quick attack lauch position, or to defend your tunnel.

I like the size and scope.. the more detail the better. How about bringing back the 'flashlight' for the underground tunnels since they are pitch black.

it kinda looks like water in the middle? A Lake? with land masses here and there?

Last edited by .seVered.][; 07-15-2012 at 02:13 AM.

Shallow water + vegetation between the mountains and hills would be ideal, I would have to test how much other ppl lag before doing that.
    If map doesn't require too much CPU power, I'll add it.

EDIT: Mid is a big mountain, random items will spawn there.

Second concept: The outer portals (lol stargate).

When defenders lock their own base, they will surely be able to get out with a teleporter if they made one, it's a way to force attackers to focus on the special containers or to use another longer route.

When attackers lock the enemy base, defenders will most likely have to mine their side and use the underground river to get to the tunnels and appear on the closer corner.
    In this situation, nuking defenders might use a translocator or antigravity platforms to jump up the tunnel above the portal and retake the other end.

In one war or another, having a teleporter that leads outside of your base is crucial.
    There will be many places to hide teleporters on the map.
    Last edited by Higor; 07-06-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Inside of a base:

Bases can only be considered safe locations from the outside, once inside there will be little to no advantages for the defense.
    The basecore can be raised and enter the line of fire of enemies that approach through the portal, making it easier to destroy and harder to repair.
    Enemy teleporters can be placed on the tunnel above the core and take an unsuspecting team by surprise as well.
    And without constant scans on the water entrance, you can never be sure of what's coming from down there.

Bottom line is, in order to defend, you must bravely charge outside of it.

The test warp portal works almost flawlessly, and its surrounding elements don't look as bad.

This is only a construction room, it's better do build open maps like this in my opinion.

I like the concept this will definitely be interesting....will you actually turn this into a map then?

Will do.

Since it will be an open map, which I already have a concept (unlike my other projects) I already know what to do and how to do it.

The intention is to make a fully pathed map, with lots of (most not yet developed) special purpose actors that will be in a map specific package to increase Siege functionality.
    This map will include:
    - Switchable paths.
    - Portal lockable by placing containers in a special switch.
    - Invisible teleporter waypoints to make bots use player made teles.
    - Invisible long paths for bot boosting purposes.
    - Invisible reference points telling what locations are best for possible buildings (usable in future or not, ill place them anyways just in case).
    - Team base parameter voice warnings (if enabled, speakers placed on the map will warn of enemies inside a base's parameters).
    - No build zones (optional, to be placed on sky high to prevent weird tele exploits, open maps could use these).
    - Hidden flashlight to make water navigation (it's an underground river after all).
    - Some other things I will think of with time.

Even if they're unnoticed or unused, I'd like to make use of as many special purpose actors for educational reasons.
    I'm waiting for the update before taking the development of this map seriously though, better to test it with an updated Siege after all.

Added the ceiling field to it, while apparently some weird bug happened, I actually came to like it.

Added path nodes in a way that they don't make more than 4 connections each, the connections as seen on the editor look like a clean fishnet.

The ceiling field only appears when a container is placed inside the left switch (via usage of special purpose building trigger), it blocks shots and some projectiles.
    The bug is, that it can't block players, BioGel, Shock projectiles, and Translocators.

It's weird, but I like the idea of a wall that blocks strong projectiles and shots but not players and translocators.
    Don't know how I made it, but I suspect the brush I used has something to do with this problem.

Also, the Mover class I used is a custom version that doesn't crush any object when moving and that with some expansions, it can create visual effects upon impacts.

Started the bases, I decided to make them underground caves, fits better with the underwater river theme and delights us with a different style.

The cave itself is a hand made hull with a little subsection (not seen here) where the core will go, despite the rounded surfaces and stuff, it only has around 130 polygons.

The tubes you see there are the spawnpoints, players take 2 or 3 seconds to enter play as the lift goes down.
    In order to make respawning faster, a container trigger and a holder will be added to enable quick spawnpoints.

The platform in the middle is the core-lift module, another container holder will be made to disable the effects of the platform and prevent the core from rising.

There's plenty of room above the portal and behind it to place the other entrances, I made both sides of the ramp in a way that it requires 4 supermines instead of 2 in order to properly block it.

The ramp is hollow and containers/sensors can be placed under it, can be leeched from water so they need defense from time to time.

This portal already connects to the outside zone.

I'll leave the third container holder as a surprise.

Nice Work Higor Really Nice Man. Keep its up!

Thread Information