User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It is an experiment after all, what happens here in Siege, is that all players have bAlwaysRelevant = True.
    My best guess that was done is: Visor Support (on it's time), Camera support (also removed), Scoreboard support, Maps with lots of translucent glass, Name of builder support, making ZP more reliable, and some other things i may be missing.
    At least half of them could be fixed without the need of having players being bAlwaysRelevant=True, but that will make players invisible through glasses in existing maps and give them the ability to camp without being seen (replication bug on CTF-Face for example).

ListenServers replicate stuff at the host player's variable framerate, I even tried changing the NetUpdateFrequency values a few times and didn't see anything weird, apparently the replication system is far more flexible than we expected.
    I made the player count (netconnection players) checks to happen every 10 seconds just in case.

I am also aware of the existance of other actors replicating at higher rates...
    - Inventory excluded (rate = 10 in most cases).
    - Guided nukes, we better not touch these, we want to be able to kill those.
    - Projectiles, excepting nukes and translocator targets, most are bNetTemporary=True.
    - Info actors have a rate = 4, PRI's = 2.
    - Effects are mostly bNetTemporary.
    - Decorations are mostly bStatic.
    Which leaves us with mostly pawns, there's an extra list with 8 pawn subclasses, that are affected by OtherRatePct.
    Ill give an ini file with a default table and ScriptedPawn and StationaryPawn, this way monsters and buildings will be scaled down as well (So we get rid on the after-Neutron lag with this).

This will be a simple ServerActor which won't even need to be sent to clients, which makes it easier to review or remove if something happens.
    I have no idea if this will make the server crash more often than the goddamn DDoSers make it do, but it will be a nice experiment.
    Last edited by Higor; 08-26-2012 at 12:26 PM.
    ------------------------------------- * -------------------------------------

Ok, I tried opening 5 UT's and a server, thing is I can't move all 5 players at once to simulate a normal playing environment lol.
    I would invite players for a 5 minute test, but my 50 kb/s upload stream would ruin the test, this is as far as I can go.

Link:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58384316/UT99/NetRateMod.zip

The default config includes monsters and buildings, the default tables are the ones posted in this thread.
    Bear in mind, these values are arbitrary and support up to 30 players (counting specs).
    Modify the tables as you wish depending on the server capabilities.

PD: Table supports up to 8 different cases, and upon map start the NetRateMod fixes its own config if some parameters are invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by .se\/ered.][ View Post
    I love the way you VOLLEY with your posts, it keeps me going in the post to find out what you "really" think... "I have sort of mixed feelings" then.... "may lead to unexpected behavior", then... "...if this ends up working out or not, so keep it up."
    That's what the "mixed feelings" expression means: in one hand I think this is a nice and interesting concept, in another there are a ton of possible bad outcomes from this which may happen now, or only with specific mods later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Higor View Post
    It is an experiment after all, what happens here in Siege, is that all players have bAlwaysRelevant = True.
    My best guess that was done is: Visor Support (on it's time), Camera support (also removed), Scoreboard support, Maps with lots of translucent glass, Name of builder support, making ZP more reliable, and some other things i may be missing.
    It was done solely because of the "Visor Support" back then. When Koala was doing those features, he asked me how he could make the players appear on the visor online, and I explained he could make either all players bAlwaysRelevant=True (easy but not so good way) or somewhat let the server do that job and replicate info without having to make the player relevant (harder way, but which avoided bAlwaysRelevant=True).
    I warned him that bAlwaysRelevant=True could make the server laggier, he tried anyway. But I thought bAlwaysRelevant=True was removed from the players after the visor was also removed, so I wonder the same: why is it still on?

Quote Originally Posted by Feralidragon View Post
    But I thought bAlwaysRelevant=True was removed from the players after the visor was also removed, so I wonder the same: why is it still on?
    Footnote: the bAlwaysRelevant is still enabled... and the the VISOR was never "removed" it was only taken out of the sgConstructor. UNTIL NOW that is...Your welcome... and thank you Higor for your passing grade on 'integrity'. I give you an A or 5.0 or 4.0? what is that scale these days..sucks to be old.

If zeroping wasn't running on these servers, I'd disable bAlwaysRelevant and add manual fixes for maps that do extensive uses of translucent glasses.
    But since it isn't I vote against it, I've suffered enough against unkillable players due to ZP + non-relevant players, and believe me players here take a day or two to find exploits and use them.

Thread Information