User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Internet problem

Last week my download rate was very fast the speed was at 2.50Mb/s and now for some reason it just went down to 0.08 and now i cant download the update for xfire. anyone know why this is happening or got a solution?

Have you tried resetting your router or modem? Are you currently downloading any other files or torrents? Do you have any Grey Poupon? :P

im not downloading anything i tried to reset my routers but nothing worked. it may be the download limit has exceeded

It is probably traffic shaping. Most ISP use it. Basically if you have been downloading large amounts, your ISP will identify you as "congesting" the network and limit your download/upload speed to enable other customers to receive a "good" service.

ChanClan
    Cable or DSL?

Connection Type (If you pay for this service yourself, your connection type is on your bill) Know it, it determines how much your bill is, so it's important to know?

Wired or Wireless?
    How many PC's on the router?
    Operating System?

Current connection performance [htt://www.dslreports.com -click on Tools, -click on Speed Tests, pick one (Denver is popular). Post Answers and results for further assistance.

Channing

do you download allot , you may have exceeded your download amount.

ChanClan
    I agree with traffic shaping. Comcast (Cable Internet) has thousands (and I do mean thousands) of people sitting around monitoring uh well everything (mostly business customers and traffic). Test your speed ( www.dslreports.com is a good one) and maybe even before that...call customer support for your ISP...If your paying for it...call em! Tell them to FIX IT!....it's what they do, and it's what your paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by $carface View Post
    It is probably traffic shaping. Most ISP use it. Basically if you have been downloading large amounts, your ISP will identify you as "congesting" the network and limit your download/upload speed to enable other customers to receive a "good" service.
    This. You probably hit a monthly bandwidth cap or some other bullshit. Lucky for me is I can sue my ISP if I ever catch them trying to do that thanks to the agreement I have with them. You should do your best to dodge ISPs that have that by reading their terms of service (do NOT listen to what they tell you, I actually had someone blatantly lie to me recently about their caps) and refuse to give them your business.

FYI, my ISP:
    N1 Communications, known locally as Buzz Broadband, also known as Hi Beam

Wireless hotspot based service (I have an antennae attached to the inside of a window that connects to a receiver just up the street), 5 Mb/Second guaranteed 80% of speed

No caps, completely unlimited (as stated in their agreement AND their advertising)

$50 a month for the service I have (I have their fastest available service, most websites are too slow for this speed to be taken advantage of), 6 month commitment required for service
    Last edited by Lee_Stricklin; 03-14-2011 at 07:47 PM.

ChanClan
    Too slow...I guess...FOX and MTV can keep up... (Fringe Fan)

Definately a cap or limiter...move your antennae, reception can be affected by Flourescent lights, trucks driving by and of course....weather (mostly wind).

Shop around... but sounds like a good service...read carefully..

TEST you connection speeds...and NOT from your ISP's tester.. again www.dslreports.com is my favorite...most accurate.
    Last edited by ChanClan; 03-15-2011 at 12:01 AM.

I actually use speed and ping test, on various servers from around the world.

Thread Information