User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Siege 4th Generation - 0011

Based on Siege Ultimate plus bringing some old things back, we'll get to try this improved Siege on it's first playable build.

Semi-Public
    The access code and the obfuscated code are no more, so setting up the mod locally will no longer result in crashes.
    Some of the files won't be available for download yet (utils, sources, INI profiles), the very reason of this is that there's too many new features, and too many basic structures that were rewritten entirely from scratch. There's is always the possiblity of stumbling into game breaking bugs and other big problems that can ruin the experience.
    Therefore we'll be keeping a close eye on the mod during the initial weeks of gameplay and the Siege GU tournament for better feedback.
    Once this stage passes 3 things might happen, all or one, don't know yet:
    - Availability of official game profiles INIs, and actual documentation for the mod after some time.
    - Second release, public.
    - New and old developers being incorporated as well as them bringing their additions to the mod.

Flexibility
    More doesn't always mean overloaded, the 4th Gen Siege uses an entirely new system to setup the gaming environment, empowered by third party tools and addons like MapVotes, Item packs and other interesting mutators.
    The game now makes useage of Game Profiles, with all of the necessary information stored in INI files named exactly the same as said profiles, the game profiles can be setup pretty easily with a MapVote tool or any other script that runs between maps.
    The profiles affect the building categories, the item spawners and the buildings themselves.
    Said ability to store in additional, version independant config files also extends to the players with their client settings which will presist between servers and Siege versions (from 4th Gen and on).

Interface
    The graphics interface now displays proper and better information while maintaining the original UT styled HUD elements, this way playing Siege won't be so alien for first timers.
    These new graphics do a better job at helping players know what they're equipped with.

Built in lag compensation
    It's neither intended to be revolutionary nor to replace anything used, the lag compensation system provides minimal support for most hitscan weapons using different methods, while these methods aren't as innovative or good looking they do provide a nearly exploit-free lag compensation environment.
    With this, installing outdated third party mods like ZeroPing becomes completely unnecessary, this saves the server admins from dealing with the problems the ZeroPing mutator causes as well as providing shorter setup times.
    The lag compensation can be toggled with the Constructor menu by holding both fire buttons (ALT first, primary then) in the settings menu, having these changes reflected instantly for said player.
    It can also be globally disabled before game starts by setting a simple variable to "False".

Other technical changes
    - RU recovery system is dynamic, limitless and recovers all of a player's data.
    - Better UTPure compatibility.
    - Item spawner can be INI scripted to give certain item timings, availability rates and modified properties.
    - Grenade Launcher balance tweaked.
    - Buildings' codebase upgraded for better moddability via game INI profile.
    - Cores get an infimous RU generation boost for lesser populated teams, helps making games flow faster.
    - Acoustic dampener buildable, and it's effect now works on clients with the UT weapons now.
    - General code cleanup.
    - Experimental AI system temporarily disabled due to not being entirely functional.

I would like to thank:
    - .seVered][. for bearing with me and betatesting.
    - Chamberly for bearing with me and betatesting more stuff.
    - Disturbed for betatesting earlier versions, come back you f****
    - DANGERBOY for doing a final review before the release.
    - OutlaW for the suits icons.
    - ~V~ for interesting information and discussions during development, as well as a new idea for a smoother graphics interface.
    - MrLoathsome (UT99) for his research on optimizing a very old and rusty part of the game itself.
    - Wises (UT99, BeyondUnreal) for slapping some sense into me regarding obfuscation.
    - Feralidragon for providing the necessary information to make ZP methods more secure without relying on obfuscation.
    And let's not forget about:
    - SilverWing, for grabbing a red hot iron stick and maintaining the project when everything seemed to go to hell.
    - Sektor, I never credited you for your work that's right now on this Siege version, I hope you can join the Dev team anytime soon.
    - Wildcard, for adding very interesting and original content. I'd like to see everything coming together at some point before UT goes to afterlife.
    - Koala, being rather new in this community I don't really have any hard feelings, I'm really impressed some of your additions that still remain here and hope to see more from you, if you're not already here.

I hope I haven't forgotten about anybody
    Last edited by Higor; 08-04-2013 at 11:59 PM. Reason: grammar mistakei fixed on title
    ------------------------------------- * -------------------------------------

You forgot to thank yourself for doing this for all of us (Both Ut99 and the community).

Even if you don't see a lot of people being grateful for your efforts, most of us really are !

Hope you can keep bringing the best for the uK clan, ut99, and the community !

Thanks Higor !
    "Tactical Suicide!"

Updated to 0002 after first PUG, 0001 only lasted 4 hours

0003 is up.
    This one has chances of being the one to be used during the league.

Redirected

Updated to 0004 - running in IP1
    Blood effect added, more tolerant to packet loss, HUD Opacity fixed.

Planning to update the build tomorrow, any other bug I should fix?
    (Bleeding containers fixed)

Changed to build 0005 in pug server, will provide full logging of every rejected ZP shot.
    A couple of pugs and the log file should be more than enough to fix it once and for all.

Willing betatesters gave me a nice log file with the cause of most shot register fails.
    SiegeIV_0006 up with a far more reliable ZP.

Requesting weapon binds be re-implemented, if at all possible. To avoid confusion, I mean the binds that can be assigned in the Preferences menu, not siege keybinds. Thanks.

Thread Information