GlobalGamers (Pug) IRC Concern & Tip

User Tag List

GlobalGamers (Pug) IRC Concern & Tip

Having been a DDoSer in the past (Unrelated to UT), I know from personal experience that having the ability to do so is only as good as your access to IP addresses to attack. Most people are under the impression that it requires a degree of intelligence, when really all you need is to pay someone else to set it up or teach you. The hard part is getting access to a list of IP addresses for players that you want to attack. I know that whoever’s attacked the servers in the past isn’t that good at it because it goes down, and comes back up all the time – I’ve seen and had servers kept offline for months with multiple providers dropping the service as it costs them money to keep you.

What I’m worried about though are players, as household internet has nowhere near the bandwidth of a server it is easier to attack. Though nobody is DDoSing players in this community and just servers, the possibility is there. Also, most people need help changing their IP while being harassed by a DDoSer.

Your IP addresses are in safe hands on Forums/TS/Servers but those that connect to GlobalGamers IRC to join the pugs are potentially sharing their IP with everyone. Most IRC servers have a mode +X automatically converts your IP from decimal to Hex hiding it from other IRC users.

Edit: Learned more

On GlobalGamers IRC You have to be logged in as a registerd user with a password before you can command the server to mask your IP. As of now most everyone in the #mslg channel IP addresses are visible Via Whois & Users has joined /User has quit messages.

To become a user:
    In the chat box type the following -

/ns register account password email
    Example: /ns register Neff password [email protected]

It will give you this message if it worked:

-NickServ- Account and nick have been registered to you.
    -NickServ- To activate your account, you must check your email for the "cookie" that has been mailed to it. When you have it, use the cookie command to complete registration.

You'll have to copy something like this from your email into IRC to complete registration:
    /msg [email protected] COOKIE YourNick U4wG1w4TuT

Once done after connecting with your nick type:

/ns id yourpassword

Result:

While loggged in to make sure your Ip is in hidden mode:

The command is:
    /mode yournick +x
    Example: /mode Neff +x

Result:

Some people have done this already, but most haven't and their IP is always viewable to anyone on the IRC server.

I don't know what the admins are going to say about this but in my opinion nobody should have access to anybodys IP unless they're trusted with admin. I know IRC channels and bots are a pain to set up but switching over to a server that has the +x auto enabled for none registerd users as they connect would be a great investment of time put into protecting players, while not making them have to register to be protected.

Alternatively making users aware their IP is public unless they register and use /mode yournick +x would give them the chance and choice to protect themselves.
    Last edited by Neff; 09-19-2012 at 06:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by .se\/ered.][ View Post
    OMG.. Never let anyone tell you to drop your firewall! Might as well drop you Pants and bend over!

I'm so glad I'm on dynamic IP.
    Any yes you're right, after all, we have registered nicks to make sure a player is the real one.
    ------------------------------------- * -------------------------------------

Most puggers use WEBIRC so they cant use that method you provided, some people cant be bothered to download the irc program and register on IRC. Its to much hassle. So we use web IRC. Anyone who spends money DDOSing someone is a no life, and is wasting their money, I for one have ulimited Bandwidth, and i can call my ISP to change my IP anytime i wanted to, especially if i had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Higor View Post
    I'm so glad I'm on dynamic IP.
    Any yes you're right, after all, we have registered nicks to make sure a player is the real one.
    As far as I know most ISP's provide a Dynamic IP to a residential connection.

Static IPs are usually only needed and given out to businesses, and come with more security.

I don't know exactly why it happens but a Router that is plugged into a modem can maintain the same IP for years on a dynamic connection unless you use a program/option built into it to change the mac address. So a lot of people that think they're static, and constantly get attacked just really need help with that.
    Last edited by Neff; 09-19-2012 at 03:17 AM.
    OMG.. Never let anyone tell you to drop your firewall! Might as well drop you Pants and bend over!

Quote Originally Posted by ACF View Post
    Most puggers use WEBIRC so they cant use that method you provided, some people cant be bothered to download the irc program and register on IRC. Its to much hassle. So we use web IRC. Anyone who spends money DDOSing someone is a no life, and is wasting their money, I for one have ulimited Bandwidth, and i can call my ISP to change my IP anytime i wanted to, especially if i had a problem.

Has nothing to do with WebIRC, and it isn't a method but rather a IRC command. Anything that can connect to an IRC server will allow a user to input IRC comands. I did some research and discovered that only registerd users who have logged in to irc.globalgamers.net are able to hide their IP address.

You don't even have to download an IRC program as it is integrated into Unreal Tournament - all you have to do is use IRC Server: irc.globalgamers.net and channel #mlsg.

As far as Unlimited Bandwith, that just means you can use as much as you want without getting charged extra and everyone here most likely has that. If you want to know what I was talking about go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and find out how fast your download speed is. When somone is DDoSing they send packets at your computer and if they can send enough to add up to however many MB/s your internet connection is it would drop. Most likely 10-100 Mb/s. Trust me, the people crashing [uK] One Night Stand for brief secounds could probably keep you offline for 5-10 minutes.
    Last edited by Neff; 09-19-2012 at 06:16 AM.

2gbps DDoS would keep a residential connection offline for weeks if not months. Regardless. Residential Internet is not prone at all becuase of the number of layers exhanges that attacks would have to filter through.

Quote Originally Posted by $carface View Post
    2gbps DDoS would keep a residential connection offline for weeks if not months. Regardless. Residential Internet is not prone at all becuase of the number of layers exhanges that attacks would have to filter through.
    I have been told that, but don't believe that it gets filtered as effectively as you think. I’ve hit dial up connections offline with my own upload speed, I don’t remember how strong my DDoSer was but it only failed on a handful out of hundreds.

One could also run a port scanner to see if ports are open and some people like to turn their firewall off and get fucked.

If your on webchat do yourself a fucking favor and get icechat. It takes almost no resources and is extremely easy to set up. http://www.icechat.net/site/

Neff, sorry to tell you that you cannot DDoS from your own connection. You can only DOS.

DOS comes from one IP. DDoS comes from multiple IPs where it is impossible to block. Most if not all residential connections (these days) will filter it out through the multiple exchanges. If I had a tier one connection which is what servers run on thats where DDoS becomes a problem because it is connected to backbone of internet with no layers.

Thread Information