User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PC fucked?

PC fucked?

I had a power surge yesterday and my PC of course lost power, not the first time this has happened but I decided to leave it off for awhile and do other things. I came back to it this morning to turn it on and nothing. I did a quick google and I think it's the power supply, but I checked to see if any electricity is going through my rig with a hot stick first and the PSU was still feeding everything. When I went to turn on the PC I got nothing, not even a blinking light. I decided to unplug the PSU and let it sit for about 5 mins, and when I plugged it back in to try and turn it on I still got nothing, and the PSU isn't feeding the other parts at all. I'm posting from my old Dell, anyone got a clue about troubleshooting PSU's?

Season ranks: MLSG - #45 Semis, MLSG II - #38 Finals, MLSG III - #34 Finals, GU.Siege - #32 5th Place, IST - #11 CHAMPION

Have you got a circuit tester? If not, there should be a green light on the motherboard that lights up if there is power being fed regardless of whether the computer is powered on or not.

I brought it to a guy with a PSU tester and it has indeed died, damn thing won't feed any of my parts. No lights or anything on the mobo, gonna see if I can get a replacement.

I hope you didn't pay for that diagnosis....it's really easy to diagnose whether PSU is feeding mobo, there's a light on it.

Another thing you might need is a motherboard. The surge might have fried it along with all parts connected to it....

Nah I didn't pay. The other parts are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by |uK|Rays View Post
    Nah I didn't pay. The other parts are fine.
    Ah hope so! Did you order a new PSU yet? Computer's are really easy to assemble, don't pay someone to do it unless you really think you are incapable lol

A few months ago I would have considered it all above my head and that's why I bought this one pre-built, but it's actually kind of addicting to put new parts on. Feels like grown up legos.

Broken PSU is an xtremegear 600W btw, never get one. Did some more google and people generally give bad reviews on them, lots of failures. Any suggestions on a good PSU in the 600-800W range?

Corsair or Seasonic.
    What are your specs?

MOBO: Asus ASROCK A55M-HVS
    CPU: AMD A8-3870K @ 3.0Ghz w/ Cooler Master Hyper TX-3 Fan
    GPU: 1x Radeon HD 7850
    RAM: 8GB DDR3
    HDD: 1TB 7200 RPM

Thread Information