User Tag List

Global.Siege Newspaper! Captain Up! PROTIPS INCLUDED OMG!

It's that time again, a new season of Siege is on it's way and I'd like to see some new people step into the team captain's role. Last season's captains were:

Kron/Moskva
    Chis/Fleece
    Termi/Alpha
    Cella/Dangerboy
    Lotrfan/Uchiha
    W4rrior/ChopDrain

A few people have already said they may captain up this season, as far as I know those few are:

Convict
    Lotrfan
    Zac
    Beast aka SK8

This season is estimated to begin on the first weekend of August (August 3rd & 4th), with draft day currently estimated to be on July 28th (The day captains pick their teams).

All of that depends entirely on how signups go in the preseason and dates are subject to change. Basically, for 6 teams we need 80+ signups and for 8 teams we need 100+ signups. This is how it is every season and the current goal is being able to run an 8 team season (consisting of 10 players for each team). Remember if you haven't signed up to go HERE. Now that we've gone through that, back to captaining for this season.

In my opinion, people have this idea that being a captain is a hard thing to do correctly. I would say it's only hard if you make it hard on yourself. Captains are in charge of the following during a season:

1. Drafting a team
    2. Naming that team
    3. Creating an IRC channel for your team (Admins can practically do this for you and it takes no time at all)
    4. Know the rules
    5. Get your team to show up

PROTIP #1:
    You get what you put into it when you are a captain. If you research the playerbase and make picks according to what you need, you can consistently field a very strong team. For example, if a strong defensive player like myself is going to draft a strong team, I need someone to carry me on the offensive end. Now I definitely wouldn't pick Freeze because I have been smoking that guy lately (sorry breh couldn't resist) but you get the point, I wouldn't want to draft too many defenders when I am already a more defensive minded player, simple. That is the easiest way to draft a team and it allows you to build around your strengths!

PROTIP #2:
    Draft players that you know how to communicate with easily. An easy way to find that perfect 4th/5th player is to simply ask players that have signed up if they want to play for you BEFORE your sitting there scratching your head on draft day. Ask people about their availability and where to go to talk to them. Ideally your team's IRC channel is where your team should be. IRC is, in my opinion, the easiest way to keep a team up to date on what's going on. However, some people communicate better with e-mails or private messages on the forums, ask them!

PROTIP #3:
    Don't be afraid to ask questions. That's the purpose of threads like these and it's why we have an admin team. I'll do what I can to answer questions and give further tips on captaining as well as other things involving the upcoming season. But you can't get any answers if you don't ask questions!

I hope to see some new captains step up this time around. That's all I've got for you today Siege community, peace.
    Last edited by Moskva; 06-19-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Rays, how do you 'pick' teams? do you go on TS with all the other captains or go on IRC with all the other captains, and can you pre-pick teams? if you cant pre-pick teams then thats fine. its just that im probably gonna be back from florida on the 28 or itll be my last day at florida.

Good question bud. When the signups are closed and we have the final pool of players, all the captains get together in IRC on draftday and the admins set up a draftbot. Basically, the draftbot organizes all the players and gives them their salary and the captains begin picking from there. Last season we let the new captains do practice drafts so they could understand exactly how it would work and I don't see why we can't do that this season as well. That is something we'll probably do later into the pre season but trust me it's not a hard thing to learn at all. Even lotrfan did it.

I really don't have much time to be capt ... so i need resign of these functions...
    I have a lot of work, I have a small child at home ...
    so really sorry...
    <@Rays> damic on d = autowin

It's fine bro, if you want me to take you off the list I can.

Quote Originally Posted by |uK|Rays View Post
    It's fine bro, if you want me to take you off the list I can.
    Ok mate, please remove me from captain function.
    thx!
    <@Rays> damic on d = autowin

Thread Information