Yes the rumors are true, there's a new Siege! It's finished and is now in the final testing phase and once we get a pug going on it we'll be able to see how well everything works and can make one more round of changes to things like buildings costs and strength etc if needed before the final public release.
I'm going to try to cover every single change made to the new version in this topic but there's so much to cover I can't guarantee I won't leave anything out...
Anyway first of all HUGE THANKS to nOs*Wildcard for providing the source to SiegeXtreme3 which this version is based on. Even though it's heavily modified from SX3, without his providing the original source files and help and instructions on how to use them this release wouldn't have been possible, so he deserves as much credit as anyone.
Why make a new siege?
The purpose of this version is to have a more attacker-friendly version of siege, that rewards skill over noobish lame gameplay. We felt the current version has become too focused on just building up indestructible bases until the team with the most nukes wins or the game goes to overtime in which case people leave or vote a new map. We wanted to make a version that rewards the team that has the balls to leave their base and attack even wtihout nukes, not the team that builds the most forcefields and super containers and camps them and only attacks when their nukes are finished building.
This version includes tons of bug fixes, gameplay changes, new Weapons category, and new buildings to replace old, seldom-used buildings. Well without further ado here are all the changes.
Tons of bugs have been fixed, including:
- Nukes are completely fixed, and will no longer crash certain maps. Yes you can now nuke your heart out on Bad Neighbors Ultimate or Snowy Village without crashing! The nuke effect looks exactly the same, nothing has been toned down, just a bug fix.
- No more nuking through walls damaging things on the other side of the walls.
- No more repairing players with 400 health bringing them back down to 150.
- Multigunning is gone for good! (This was Wildcard's fix, not mine)
- You no longer have to shoot your core at the start of the game to display its true score, and when you repair the core, it updates in real time without having to shoot it (also Wildcard's fix, not mine)
- Special weapons (like hyper leecher and blue gun) have their own ammo classes now, so they won't drain other weapons; for example firing the blue gun won't drain your pulse gun anymore.
General Gameplay Changes
- The Base Core now gives out much more RU and personal points when attacked. In addition, whoever kills the core gets 1000 points added to their score at the end of the game. Hopefully this will encourage players to attack the core more and the supplier less.
- Each team now has full permanent immunity for 1 Supplier, 1 Super Supplier, and 1 Super Health Pod. Attacking any of these buildings will give out no RU and will not damage the building. If you build additional suppliers however, they will not be immune, so you won't be able to use a bunch of suppliers as invincible forcefields. This should make it so there's less of a need to build a huge Taj Mahal around your supplier area, with a sign that says "please nuke me".
- The RU gems that spawn at the beginning of the game are now completely equal on both sides, all of them are worth 50 a piece. No more crying that the other team got a bunch of 240's and all you got was a bunch of white ones.
- WC allowed Jetpack + metal suit in SX3, and also allowed special weapons to be refillable in the sup, but both those things have been reverted to prevent lameness.
- The stronger fortification buildings have limits on how many you can build per team, see the list of building descriptions below for full details.
- Thanks to WC every building is able to be textured now! This allowed me to skin all the buildings with fire and ice textures, to replace the boring plain red and blue textures.
- New sounds! The nuke explosion has a new sound effect, and there are some new sounds related to the new buildings.
- New animated crosshair for guiding nukes!
- The building animation (all those little white dots that go into the building when you first build it) looks more slick.
- The text that displays the build categories and building names on your constructor no longer overflows the screen unless you have a ridiculously low resolution. You should be able to see the whole phrase "Super Protector" instead of just "Super".
- New team icons on HUD, with your basecore percent displayed out of 100 instead of out of 20.
List of All Building Changes
Container - Upgrading a container to level 4 actually does something now!
Container X - removed
Super Container - Limited to 2 per team. Slightly bigger than before.
Booster - Same as before
Super Booster - Same as before
Protector - removed
Super Protector - Same as before
Guardian - removed
Poison Guardian - Limited to 1 per team. Made slightly weaker.
Platform - Same as before
Motion Alarm - Made a little stronger so it's not so easy to kill. Cost changed to 400.
Nuke Siren - New building! The Nuke Siren sounds an alarm (an air raid siren sound effect) when an incoming nuker gets within its range. They don't have to have their nuke out, they only need to have one in their inventory. Upgrading the siren increases its detection range. Cost 1200 RU.
Mini Shield - New building, replaces Supplier X since those were only used as shields anyway.
Forcefield - Limited to 1 per team.
Supplier - Now permanently immune.
Supplier X - removed
Health Pod - removed
Super Supplier - Now permanently immune.
Super Health Pod- Now permanently immune.
Shrinker - The Shrinker is back! It's buildable as a regular building (no factory in this version). For those who don't know what the Shrinker is, it is a supplier-like building that when you get inside it shrinks your player down to bug size! The effect only lasts for 2 minutes and then you grow normal again.
Special Items Category
Shieldbelt - Same as before
Jump Boots - Same as before
Super Jump Boots - New building! Same as the jump boots except you jump much higher. Cost 600 RU.
Speed - Price reduced from 750 to 650.
Invisibility - Same as before
Damage Amplifier - Fixed! It's now an actual real damage amp that works, just like the one that spawns in the middle.
Hyper Leecher - Now a buildable item! Cost 350 RU.
ASMD Pulse Rifle - Now a buildable item! Cost 800 RU.
Flame Thrower - New weapon! Shoots fire and can set the enemies buildings on fire! The enemy buildings will flame up and slowly lose their health until they are repaired. You get the RU and points from them while they are on fire slowly decaying. Buildings need only be repaired once for the fire to be put out. Cost 1500 RU
Warhead - New crosshair when you alt fire the nuke! Nukes that are shot down will disintegrate instead of explode, making it more rewarding to shoot down nukes. To compensate for this nukes have been made slightly more powerful. Nukes now work on Snowy Village and bad Neighbors Ultimate without crashing.
Invincible Warhead - Same changes as above
Teleporter - Same as before
Tele Network - Same as before
Translocator - Same as before
Homing Becaon - removed due to lameness
Mine - Now when a player with a nuke gets killed by your mine, it counts for the "Top Warhead Defender" list on F3. Also, if they are carrying 2 nukes, it announces that they were carrying two warheads!
Super Mine - Same changes as above
Rocket Cannon - Price reduced from 600 to 400.
Bio Bomb - Price reduced from 500 to 350.
Mortor Bomb - Same as before
EMP Bomb - New building! The EMP bomb explodes where you build it, but doesn't damage any player or building. Instead it temporarily disables all enemy buildings within its blast radius until those buildings are repaired (they need only be repaired once). While they are disabled, they won't perform their main funtion; protectors won't shoot, containers won't heal, suppliers won't supply, mines won't explose, etc. This gives your team a short window of opportunity to attack. This is a very teamwork-oriented item and will only be effective if you coordinate it into an overall attacking strategy with your team. Cost 1500 RU.
Neutron Bomb - New building! When finished building, this drops a bomb down to the ground directly below where you built it, and when it hits the ground it explodes similar to a warhead but more devastating. Cost 4000 RU.
All suits are the same as before, except Scuba Gear has its price reduced from 350 to 250.
Keybinds should work for every building now, although I haven't taken the time to figure out what the binds are for each one. If someone wants to figure that out and post it up, feel free.
Above: More slick graphics and HUD
Above: All RU gems are worth 50 and are equal on both sides of the map.
Above: Full immunity for Super Supplier and Super Health Pod.
Above: The Shrinker in action!
Above: Special weapons are now buildable, like this new one, the Flame Thrower.
Above: The Flame Thrower in action, setting enemy buildings on fire.
Above: New animated crosshair for guided nukes!
Above: Nuke to your heart's content on Bad Neighbors Ultimate without crashing.
Above: The EMP Bomb exploding.
Well I think that just about covers everything. Like I said we'll be testing it on the pug server this weekend and unless anything else needs changing the public release should be soon.