User Tag List

BT Mapping: Tips, Tutorials, and Help

I figured since there are a few people that frequent this forum who enjoy making BT maps, it would be beneficial to have a thread to use as a go-to resource. I'm just starting a map now, and I'll update with new shit I think of as I continue my map. Though my BT maps aren't too much to brag about, its because I get lazy and just release half assed maps for some reason. I'm pretty knowledgeable

The more input from others the better:

Have a particular type of obstacle that annoys you? Post it. Naturally don't thrash on the map, that's not the point at all. Most people taking the time to make a map are trying to make something that people want to play, so knowing this kinda shit is really helpful. For example, if you hate dodgewalls, let it be known. If I know a lot of people don't like something, I definitely wouldn't put it in my map.

Got any tips? Definitely post them. I see the same avoidable mistakes in new maps coming out that mappers made 5 years ago. Usually they are little things, but in a game where people are trying their hardest to shave a fraction of a second off a record run, a couple little things can become very noticeable. Knowing how to avoid these when I started mapping would've saved me a lot of headaches.

Got any questions? Please, please don't be afraid to ask. Whether you want to know how to make a certain obstacle you enjoyed, or how to incorporate an obstacle in a map, or you just need some troubleshooting, or anything at all, I'd be more than willing to help. I really enjoy mapping for BT and have been doing it for a long time.

PLEASE, NEVER LET LACK OF EXPERIENCE OR KNOWLEDGE WITH UED PREVENT YOU FROM CONVERTING AN IDEA TO PART OF THE MAP.
    Its not an inconvenience to me helping people out, I enjoy it. I would much rather do that than see 50 more unimaginative, boring maps flood the server. Though my maps aren't too much to brag about, a lot of it is because of impatience back when I made them. I'm pretty knowledgeable with UED, and was the moderator of the mapping sections of the old bunnytracks.com, and ran the official mapping contests back when the site was around. I've also been around playing BT since it first came out, so I was around to see how a lot of the maps where made.

BT Mapping Basics

Useful Knowledge

Though there is no way to tell exactly how far and I you can dodge off ramps other than testing and tweaking, knowing how far flat dodges, jumps, etc. can take you can be helpful to keep handy. UU means unreal unit, which is the default unit of distance used in unrealed. These values are only true for the hardcore game mode, if that isn't what the BT servers use, let me know so I can change these.

Dodging:
    Height = 23 UU
    Distance = 237 UU

Jump:
    Height = 55 UU
    Distance = 221 UU

Running Jump
    Height = 67 UU
    Distance = 311 UU

Jump Boots:
    Height = 500 UU
    Distance = 893 UU

Double Sided: Its a Must
    Bunnytracks was designed to be Red v. Blue, each team having its own side. Originally, BT was just played as CTF. There was no BT mod, so the teams could technically shoot each other. This was simply solved by giving each team its own side. Though now the BT mod fixed this, making it 2 sided is still a must to prevent a clusterfuck from happening in the map. It also makes it so speed runners can stay separated from people just learning (if the people playing aren't either assholes or just stupid).

There are 2 common ways of doing this, mirrored and identical. Identical sides are more common, because a lot of the work is just duplicating what you all ready made. Duplicated actors will have identical properties, so you will have to adjust properties for items such flags and playerstarts and triggers, etc. Mirrored maps require a little more work, because whats on the left on red is on the right on blue, you can't just duplicate. It also takes some tweaking, making sure both sides are fair. The benefit of having mirrored sides is that you can put glass separating the sides, so the teams can see each other.

Here's a shitty MS Paint diagram explaining:

And a good example of a mirrored map, BT-SpaceBunnies. (Sorry for Ued screenshot and not UT)

Spawn Rooms:

This is something I rarely see done right. Playerstarts should be place equal distance from the exit of the spawn room. This makes it fair as can be regardless of which playerstart you spawn at. While, once again, the scripters are making our job easy (this time with "mystart"), never work around a mod. In tournaments you won't be able to use things like mystart, so doing this will ensure nobody has the advantage from the start.

Last edited by NoReasonBoner; 03-20-2014 at 03:13 AM.

Very helpful and useful!

Thread Information