User Tag List

New Game Type: Speed

Hello,

A new gametype has been in development for nearly a month now. I just stumbled upon it today. It is called "Speed", and it is basically the UT4 version of Bunny Tracks. The thread with the available downloads can be found here: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...hp?15238-Speed. I thought I would bring it some attention over here for anyone that might be interested. I will write a quick synopsis of the gametype and a little bit of my experience below:

(Both the screenshot and the video are taken from the thread linked above)
    LeaderBoard.jpg

I downloaded this https://ut.rushbase.net/TimEh/Speed/, which the creator claims is only needed if you want to edit the gametype or make maps for it; however, I could not download the custom maps from servers without this stuff for some reason. The main folder "Speed" goes in the "content" folder in the "engine" folder: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UnrealTournamentDev\Engine\Content or wherever you installed it. You need to search for "Speed" in the server browser in order to find the servers that host the maps for this game type. So far, there are East and West American servers and a few French servers running I believe.

The mod includes (so far):
    • A timer
    • Checkpoints throughout the map that do NOT reset your time. So, if you fail, instead of dying, you are warped back to the checkpoint.
    • Keys (like the ut99 keys found throughout various BT maps)
    • A global leader board for each map found within each map (see the screenshot above) that ranks the top times.
    • A reset button. It is basically a suicide button that is already bound.

The maps have the usual bt stuff: dodge slopes, jumps, bouncers, etc. The mappers are trying to implement wall dodges and some of the other UT4 features into their maps. For the most part, it is usually a situation where you need to jump or dodge at a wall and immediately dodge off that wall onto a platform that can not be reached with a simple dodge or jump. I bet people will start getting more creative as time goes on. Everything is still pre-alpha after all.

I have played through two of the maps. It is fun, but it is super pre-alpha just like the rest of ut4. I haven't ran into any issues within the mod itself; however, I have some reservations regarding the way the game type is envisioned to unfold, but that isn't the point of this post.

Go try the mod and have some fun! My advice would be to ignore the leader boards for now, and just play to learn some new maps. It might be a bit discouraging lol. You can probably find me on the U.S. servers if I'm around.
    Fierd_0/Doppelganger/Donutdan

I wonder if you can disable walldodging for some maps and remake classic maps like slaughter, uncommon etc...
    Dam That would be sweet

Yeah, agreed. Actually might be better to do server side (disabling the wall dodging). I haven't put too much thought into it, but maybe some of the older maps might have some new tricks with some wall dodging? For the most part, it would probably add some huge scs which would be pretty lame lol.

It seems that the idea is to keep the maps short though? So, I guess you will never see a slaughter or a twocastles in this mod? One of the senior members posted this over at the ut4 forums:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonemm
    The approach to speed is a different one than bunnytrack.
    Bunnytrack has longer maps while speed maps are really short and really aim at mastering a very short period of time. Take Bunnytrack more as an Obstaclerun and Speed more as a 100m sprint :P
    I know this doesn't reflect the whole community, and IDK how they could actually regulate the map sizes/lengths, but it is kind of disappointing to read. Just depends on who picks up the editor I guess.
    Fierd_0/Doppelganger/Donutdan

Thread Information