User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New newnet hack on us server

There is a guy that is killing people through walls, his player just lags into the corner or falls through the map.
    @TimTim

Uploading video atm.

Seriousness aside, I have to say that does look pretty funny.

Suspected there was something wrong from the time he joined at the end of w00t map, saw few shots around but coudn't see who was the shooter, I was going to watch the demo later to check it ... first time seen something like that

not new, that guy did pretty much the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by BiGbOsS View Post
    I made a video of the last minute of Sheepy's demo to try to make it a bit more clear. If you spectate the demo and just follow the spawns around, you will see a lot of what you see in this demo. His body just floats at the spawn, and you can see his instagib animation going off like he is shooting. This last minute or so of the match really catches it all I believe.

(Sorry for the bad quality. Make sure you watch it at the highest possible quality. Wanted to do the video in a hurry)

You see the guy just "floating" in the spawn. His team mate even boosts him, so you know it is not lag on Sheepy's side while he was demoing. Sheepy runs by and kills him. You can see shots coming out of nowhere. I follow Sheepy into the base, and you can see that the guy spawns in the left side near the outer exit of the base, and another shot clips through a couple of walls and misses Sheepy just as Sheepy exits the hallway and enters the flagroom. You see Sheepy go for a grab, and the guy kills him; however, there is no shot. It looks like Sheepy just explodes lol. You can see his instagib going off again, and, as he stays there in the spawn, if you look at the console, you will notice that he is getting kills. You can kind of see it on the other side of the base. Again, a teammate comes and boosts him, so you know that his actual body is there in the spawn still. Sheepy runs in with another guy to try to get a final grab. A shot comes through the short barriers (both of them) near the flag and misses Sheepy. As the two exit the base, another shot comes through the barrier and connects with Sheepy. I play the shot again in slow motion at the end of the vid.

at least this hack is easy to realize. Newnet has a lot of problem, but is by far the best netcode for UT99
    UT99 engine is too old and seems to be impossible make a flawless netcode , i still wanna see newnet for UT4

Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    Seriousness aside, I have to say that does look pretty funny.
    There is a very rare bug, where a player can get stuck under a brush, and they will float under it like they are in ghost mode, only ever seen it once on bleakUGN.

Quote Originally Posted by AdRiaN View Post
    at least this hack is easy to realize. Newnet has a lot of problem, but is by far the best netcode for UT99

The earliest versions of NewNet were super secure and impossible to exploit in this manner. But I decided to favor gameplay over preventing exploits because the game is just way more fun that way. And like you said, it's really easy to notice when someone is exploiting the net code like this so it's not a big deal. We've also devised a way to reliably keep idiots out of the server, or at least make it really difficult for them to return, so this silliness is just a minor annoyance now.

Quote Originally Posted by AdRiaN View Post
    UT99 engine is too old and seems to be impossible make a flawless netcode , i still wanna see newnet for UT4
    Yeah I personally don't think UT99 is worth putting anymore work into now that UT4 is in the works, but I'm happy to continue playing it until UT4 is up to par (or until I have time/energy to bring UT4 up to par myself).

I'll look into removing this dum-dum from the server right meow.

I guess he's running around in his client, but not telling the server of his new position.
    This could be easily worked around by removing bAlwaysRelevant usage on players, he wouldn't be able to shoot anyone outside of his 'real self's' field of view, apart from preventing radaring and wall hacking.
    (PD: SiegeIV_0019 no longer applies this)
    ------------------------------------- * -------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Higor View Post
    This could be easily worked around by removing bAlwaysRelevant
    I won't do that because it degrades gameplay. And it isn't worth the effort to improve the zoning algorithm.
    Last edited by TimTim; 08-27-2015 at 07:57 PM.

Thread Information