SiegeUltimate - Page 3

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SiegeUltimate

Quote Originally Posted by |uK|B|aZe//. View Post
    if buildings and textures in a map are popping up once u turn a corner theres something seriously wrong with your pc
    There's nothing wrong with their computers. It happens on my laptop and my laptop is not weak at all.

Quote Originally Posted by |uK|B|aZe//. View Post
    not true
    It's possible when there is a 17mb file loaded into memory. The fact is, siege does not need to be so large. I think it is down to the textures SK used. UT can't display more than 256x256, yet SK has put in 8mega pixel textures which is not needed.

I have noticed the old textures render a lot quicker, maybe try reskinning everything back to simple old textures?

"Boom, Headshot!" - FPS_Doug
    Siege Strategy Guide Available at: http://www.mediafire.com/?auf58ax6vhbu5ry

Quote Originally Posted by $carface View Post
    UT can't display more than 256x256, yet SK has put in 8mega pixel textures which is not needed.
    Wrong. UT can display up to 2048x2048 textures in BSP surfaces (and no, I don't mean the hi-res ones, and yes, I have a map in my blog proving this), and meshes can display up to 512x512 mipmapped and 256x256 non-mipmapped (my old NW2X is running in a MH server and uses mostly 512x512 textures and fx, and we all know that MH servers are the servers with the highest ping of the universe, yet the whole server is fully stable even with thousands of monsters around).

Also, textures are never the reason for a game to lag, unless you're using hi-res textures and your video card can't handle them.
    For instance, my laptop which is atm in warranty to repair its screen, is the laptop where I always played in Siege, the video card is an integrated joke, and the laptop is not made for gaming at all (the whole UT runs always with 30fps or less, at 640x480). It doesn't make a single difference if I am playing with NW3 or not (which makes use of 512x512 textures heavilly), and I never had any lag in the server, with or without a room filled with containers.
    So if that was true, my pack with be unplayable in a crappy laptop, where is perfectly playable actually.

Also, relative big size, textures are the easiest thing to compress, and the UT zipper (the creation of redirect uz files) compress the code and textures to a really high ratio. What actually is harder to compress is sound and a couple of other things.

Again, so no one thinks I am talking out of my ass: my NW3 core has 12Mb uncompressed, most of the size are due to textures, hundreds and hundreds of them. After compression it got reduced to 3.15Mb.

So do you want really know where the problem is? It's the code itself, nothing more, nothing less.
    Koala did a good job for a non-scripter in adding new stuff, however, again, he's not a scripter and after I looked at his code once, that's very clear.
    He doesn't have any solidified important concepts of programming like: optimization, simplification and problem aproach, therefore he scripted some stuff, it worked here and there, but it's extremelly complicated for what it's intended to do, and not optimized at all, which means more CPU juice needed, and in some stuff, more bandwidth.

Siege Ultimate needs to be cleaned up and pretty much rewritten at many many spots. For instance, Koala was forcing all players to be bAlwaysRelevant, although I warned him to not do it. If the current Siege Ultimate has still that code on, remove it, it may be the biggest source for all the lag people are experiencing, but there is more stuff, like the unoptimized and incorrect overuse of actor iterators (imagine what's iterating through a list of over 5.000 actors at certain games lots of times in a single tick).

I would personally step in and clean up the whole thing since I love the gametype (and which I am not playing latelly since I don't have my laptop anymore), however I have no time as I have other things to finish and Wildcard is the man for the job, he's the main Siege scripter after all.

So in my opinion, contact Wildcard and request him to take a good look into the code and fix Siege Ultimate if he can.
    Last edited by Feralidragon; 07-14-2011 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by <|Pius|> View Post
    I have noticed the old textures render a lot quicker, maybe try reskinning everything back to simple old textures?
    If you do that, make the colors fit a little more please? :P
    Orange and pink are mixed in the red stuff, and it's baby blue on the blue side. xD

ChanClan
    I've noticed that it only does it on certain maps (one of the Niven's, one of the Simplex's and one of the ....hmmm...one of each actually. ) Should I send an admin message when I encounter this phenomenon?

REMOVE tath fucking ACE it kick people off the server durring time out well gg if you have some nukes and noobs take it up and only running to the mide and die.

The Best There Ever Will Be! |uK|B|aZe//.'s Avatar
    if its a timeout problem set your netspeed to 20000 so ace can load then you can set it back to whatever netspeed you use normally

Thread Information