User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Request for assistance - UT99 freezes / hangs up causing disconnect and reconnect.

Hey all... Skuller here and I'd like to ask for some assistance from the techies in the community. I've been struggling with several issues on the Instagib as well as other servers and I have have exhausted all that I can figure would cause the problems.

Where to start.... Probably the most important issue I am having is with the intermittent game freezes (hangups). While playing the game it just freezes in place and I can not do anything. I can not move, I can not escape to the main menu, I can not minimize the game... nothing. I have to sit and wait for it to come back, sometimes it's for 5 seconds , sometimes quite a bit longer. When it does come back, there is a red box in the lower left corner and all the players are sliding around. At this point I have to disconnect and reconnect to the server. Sometimes this happens repeatedly the entire time I am playing which is quite frustrating and other times it may not happen for a few days. I can almost tell when it is going to happen because the game becomes very laggy, even to the point where I feel like I am moving slow compared to even the slowest straight line runners.

At first I thought it was my ISP and/or network but we recently had the ISP company out and "he says" all is good. (all other ISP functions work flawlessly) We also changed cable modems and routers. I have also tried playing the game with a wired Ethernet connection and wirelessly and each plays exactly the same with the hang ups about equal.

These problems seem to have started with this Dell laptop I received about a year ago. It's a corporate asset, so I'm tied to it for 3 more years... grrr.

Here is the technical stuff
    Dell Latitude E5440 Laptop Intel Core i5-4300 CPU @1.9GHz 2.5GHz 64 bit 8.00GB ram running Windows 7 (SP1) Enterprise edition.
    Dell Base station with HDMI / USB hub / Ethernet connections
    Dell UA2410 LCD Monitor
    Logitec G500 wired USB mouse
    Razer Nostramo Keypad

I have also been experiencing a great deal more of these random game crashes. Maybe they are related...?
    GPF - General protection faults aka.. (various causes)
    C++ ends the game unexpectedly
    Vitrual memory full errors.
    I also get disconnected from the instagib server with a message stating I am firing my gun faster than I should be. Compatability mode will be set when I reconnect.
    and the most annoying of all... when I connected to a server, the game crashes immediately with GPF always a random error.

I cant help it to think this is all related somehow. Any thoughts on where to start looking for a cause for all this?

Thanks for the help!!

My first thought is that your laptop might be overheating. Do you have a way to monitor the temperatures or at the very least, does it feel really hot when this happens? Dell and HP laptops are notorious for overheating, usually because of too much dust or whatever in the fans. It might help to clean out any dust, which usually requires opening up the laptop but sometimes you can get away with blowing compressed air into the vents and hope the dust comes out elsewhere lol. Also, how much available harddrive space do you have?

Hey Skuller, been awhile!

Sounds like something is up with your UT. Have you thought about installing a new UT folder and try it out to see if it does the same?
    & with the new ut folder, I wouldn't advise copying everything over yet, just put on the render you normally use (opengl or d3d8/9)
    & dual core patch if you need it.
    if these goes well, might as well keep this and slowly move some files over (maps, music, sound, and texture to be specific, and maybe a few large file from System without copying the original files such as botpack) and try that as well.

I use a Dell Inspiron laptop, it has been running fine except the onboard graphic is just weird for UT, I've yet to find out the correct settings to work with it nicely in ut.ini. For overheating... it normally don't, until I installed some crap (software), tried it, uninstalled it, then overheat started to happen. I need to freshly install my OS and work on it from fresh to stop that but haven't got to it yet lol.

http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript for uscript discussion.

Turn off speedstep. Dell's are rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    Turn off speedstep. Dell's are rubbish.
    yea this or the cord of your mouse, had similar issues with my g400 untill I had it replaced
    soma - a happiness drug in Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World'

HDD space left is one thing I would also ask, Ram stability would be another (Run a memtest to check)

There could potentially be a multitude of things that is capable of causing this lockup.

What OS are you using?

TimTim
    No heat issues. The lap top is cool to the touch and I keep the vents and fans clean on a regular basis. Skuller = --> neat freak. =)
    Hard drive space is ample at 60GB available of a 140GB partition. I have also tried moving the UT folder to the D partition which is also quite expansive with 183GB available of 326GB. So the virtual memory error is a puzzle for me as there definitely plenty of space for UT.
    I also tried to isolate to another application running at the same time, but it happens when only UT is running after a complete shut down and boot up and after a restart. I also tried unplugging all non essential USB devices leaving the mouse, keypad and monitor only on the system. This includes removing the Dell base station.

I am certain this is a multi-core device, so I'm leaning towards running UT on one processor, but not sure how or where to do this. Thoughts?

Chams... It's been awhile good to hear from you. Yes I removed the original folder to a USB stick, and did a complete reinstall of UT ran ran it without changing anything except screen resolution. Same thing.. =(
    Dont know about the dual core patch... though I'll have a look to it. Post some info

Sam and Soma... thanks for the input. I don't know what speedstep is or where to find it. Can you point me in that direction? The cord to my mouse works with all other tasks so I don't suspect the mouse. I also had a cordless mouse on this rig for awhile and it did the same.

Fluke... windows 7 SP1 Enterprise Edition... its a work lappy.
    Last edited by Skuller; 12-19-2015 at 10:30 AM.

I think you'll need to enable some logging of some kind, which should help provide some kind of hint as to what's really happening. I'm not entirely sure what/how exactly you'll log things but I'd start with UnrealTournament.log as well as figuring out some way to enable logging for your processes (how much CPU/RAM each one is using over time), and if possible download something that will log your temperatures just to be sure about that.

I assume the laptop works perfectly fine with everything else?

are you running D3D or OpenGL?
    Do you have anything installed to stress the CPU, Ram and GPU? If you haven't then I would suggest doing that to rule out hardware overly stressed.

Make sure processor power management is not bottlenecking the CPU, this in the in the power management section.

In the BIOS you will find speedstep. Disable it.

You shouldn't need the dual core fix because ACE already does it for you in game but no harm in trying.

Thread Information