User Tag List

Question questions for programmers/coders

Aren't you guys demotivated when reading lines of codes?? (ie: 5000 lines of code)
    Aren't you guys demotivated when reading other people's codes??

How can you know in the first shot which codes do which things? (For me, when I try to understand codes, I've to do a lot of trial and error to understand and to be sure :/ Is that normal for me?)
    █████████ Loading Hax 99%
    C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\

It depends on how well written something is. The best, most efficient, readable, understandable code is designed to be modular, composable, declarative, and reactive with unidirectional data flow - i.e., some action is performed and the state(s) of the application are updated as a result, which also works beautifully with pure functional modules (same input should always produce same output). With good code, there is a clear separation of concerns where each module does only one (mostly simple) thing, but it's done perfectly, which allows you to compose many simple, predictable modules into something actually useful. This separation not only helps with knowing what each portion of the application is meant to do, but it also lends to fewer bugs, helps teams work on the same thing at the same time, and allows for massive ecosystems like npm where you can almost certainly find exactly the modules you need for most basic functionality. Once you've learned these things, all you ever need to concern yourself with is adding features and improving user experience.

I get confused looking at my early projects, 1000s of lines in 1 file randomly placed with bad variable names, functions names, no comments, copy and paste functions instead of making a function that can do the same thing with a lot less code. I still suck at coding

Practice, practice, practice.

There are always different ways to code something to get the results you want. Depends on where you learned or how you learned and then you pick up things as you develop your own skills. Depends on the language too. I started and learned the old way, at the end of the punch card era lol. I did it while in the Army and moved on to MS and other companies up until about 6 years ago. You pick up and create short cuts along the way, some people will look at your work or you at theirs and say its sloppy or wonder why it was done that way. Like he said ^^ practice practice practice

Thread Information