dear americans o.o - Page 14

User Tag List

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Either way, we're DOOOOOOOOOMed.

Clinton's not the most honest person in the world and Trump says he only speaks the truth and then lies his pants off.

I'm gonna vote for my pet rock.
    Have you hugged a Skaarj today?
    http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/

We should rather find someone else and start sharing about the person who willing to step up and just go through the work.

http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript for uscript discussion.

its too late. popularity takes over :v
    █████████ Loading Hax 99%
    C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\

Quote Originally Posted by LordRixuel View Post
    popularity takes over
    Not always the case.

http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript for uscript discussion.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

..we need more tea.

Quote Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

..we need more tea.
    is this where tea party come from? o.o
    █████████ Loading Hax 99%
    C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\

Quote Originally Posted by LordRixuel View Post
    is this where tea party come from?
    I did my own research!
    Apparently, the actual earliest recorded quote goes, “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety” in a letter.
    The words appear originally in a 1755 letter that Franklin is presumed to have written on behalf of the Pennsylvania Assembly to the colonial governor during the French and Indian War. The letter was a salvo in a power struggle between the governor and the Assembly over funding for security on the frontier, one in which the Assembly wished to tax the lands of the Penn family, which ruled Pennsylvania from afar, to raise money for defense against French and Indian attacks. The governor kept vetoing the Assembly’s efforts at the behest of the family, which had appointed him. So to start matters, Franklin was writing not as a subject being asked to cede his liberty to government, but in his capacity as a legislator being asked to renounce his power to tax lands notionally under his jurisdiction. In other words, the “essential liberty” to which Franklin referred was thus not what we would think of today as civil liberties but, rather, the right of self-governance of a legislature in the interests of collective security.
    It's ironic that the quote is misunderstood and trotted out to imply a purity of adhesion to the founding father's ideology. Franklin was arguing for taxes and defense spending.

The current "tea party" in the USA has nothing to do with Benjamin Franklin nor the "Boston Tea Party" of 1753 but they like to think they do.

The Best There Ever Will Be! |uK|B|aZe//.'s Avatar
    Muricans dont have tea parties leave that to the brits please and thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by uranus View Post
    I did my own research!
    Apparently, the actual earliest recorded quote goes, “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety” in a letter.

It's ironic that the quote is misunderstood and trotted out to imply a purity of adhesion to the founding father's ideology. Franklin was arguing for taxes and defense spending.

The current "tea party" in the USA has nothing to do with Benjamin Franklin nor the "Boston Tea Party" of 1753 but they like to think they do.
    Things evolve, you know. Sayings are excellent because they apply to more than just one situation. But that needs an ounce of intuition, something too many are missing. They get stuck while trying to prove a point by arguing with the messenger.

Quote Originally Posted by uranus View Post
    I did my own research!

*joker claps*

still stuck on that whole "find the main idea of the paragraph" from 2nd grade

these both relate to the french and indian wars and how things were getting paid for.

you left out the most important fact about the Penns - they were not against contributing money for defense spending - they were against the idea that they could be taxed, because they, after all, were oligarch class, and consider themselves above such trifles as taxation.

in effect, "breaking government so that an oligarch may secure his wealth over the long term."

hmmmmsheesh where have we seen that one before?

So we have oligarchs, who want representation without taxation,

and patriots wanting representation, if they were indeed subject to taxation.

Nah I dont see a single similarity amongst those two concepts.

Now I see why you have kept your mouth so very, very quiet except for some ridicule
    “I was not proud of what I had learned but I never doubted that it was worth knowing.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson, The Rum Diary

"‘if the American people knew what we had done, they would hang us all from lamp posts’."
    -George H. W. Bush Sr. (Scherff)

“Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants – but debt is the money of slaves.”

Thread Information