User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It's a WiFi only option. I don't see how it would help...other than prevent any updates run in the background though?

Yeah, it seems that it sort of temporarily disables Windows Update which I already disable in Services.msc. Sometimes Windows Update starts up anyway. I think I set it to manual startup.

I think I finally figured out the problem (stupid me).

I had a VPN running in the background and I believe that was the cause. It didn't start happening until a month ago. I guess running a VPN really clogs your CPU because the percentages were in 60%. Disabling it and removing brought it down to the 10's.

I thought upgrading to the newest W10 build would fix it but it made it worse.

@uranus I'd try downgrading from the build you're on now.

The other day my laptop 'upgraded' itself from a very stable Win10 to now a very unstable one....anyone else in the same boat?

@Camper @uranus have you guys tried whitelist the UT.exe on the windows firewall.

@SAM I didn't bother because the framerate in game was such crap. Just downgrade to the earlier build.

This is a process of elimination. Therefore everything is relevant. You should whitelist that and eliminate they possible issue of packet loss being cause by windows firewall, in the first instance.

Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    whitelist the UT.exe on the windows firewall
    Good idea. I disabled the firewall altogether at some point but it didn't really seem to help. I think part of my problem comes from my ISP. I also disabled just about every service that can be stopped without shutting down Window$. But, like I said, I'm using what might be the worst computer ever touched by human hands.

I'm actually still having this problem and I'm starting to believe it's related to my ISP now. How would I go about bitching to Verizon if the packet loss tests I've been running show nothing?

Hook up to a wired connection if you can, preferably straight to the ONT bypassing the router.

Test with some advanced tests like http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest or http://testmy.net/ .

Check the forums at DSL Reports https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber I finally got the email of the vice president of engineering who designed my Brooklyn ISP's infrastructure through the forum.

And maybe sign up for the free line monitor, https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20...-Monitors-Free . The line monitor will give you graphs from a second source that you can use to back up your story if they decide to deny it.

Luckily you have fiber (I assume you're on fiber...?). Coaxial cable is vulnerable to RF ingress which affects the connection for everyone on the node or, at least, those on the same mini-bridge.

I can't get a direct connection but I know for a fact that it's the internet. My phone is tapped into my Wifi too and the same problem happens when I try to load web pages (loads half the page, cuts off the other half) and the page sometimes hangs for awhile and then loads. I ran a couple of those tests and everything was normal except on testmy.net when I was getting download speeds of 8.7Mbps. I'm going to leave that running in the background and see if that improves, if not, I'll probably have to call Verizon and bitch about it.

Thread Information