User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Just want to know your taste

(this is not an advertisement or whatever you call it. links given below are not suppose to work.)

Between

subdomain.github.io

and

subdomain.appspot.com

which one look nicer/prettier?
    █████████ Loading Hax 99%
    C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\

I'm a fan of GitHub so I prefer subdomain.github.io, but you'll only be able to host static/serverless apps on that, which is also free. The other one is google apps, which will give you an actual backend, but you'll likely need to pay for it at some point and you'll be locked into their systems at the same time.

someone told me people always remember .com more than .io

Is it bad to use the github.io link on Resume? o.o
    Last edited by LordRixuel; 07-25-2016 at 01:12 AM.

If you're looking for programming work or anything related to technology, a GitHub profile is great to have. I've had people approach me simply because of the work I've put on GitHub. Usually though it's your actual GitHub profile they look at (e.g., https://github.com/timbur) rather than the static pages hosted on github.io subdomains. I would say github.io pages are definitely more reputable than anything on appspot though. I've never heard of anyone caring about appspot lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TimTim View Post
    If you're looking for programming work or anything related to technology, a GitHub profile is great to have. I've had people approach me simply because of the work I've put on GitHub. Usually though it's your actual GitHub profile they look at (e.g., https://github.com/timbur) rather than the static pages hosted on github.io subdomains. I would say github.io pages are definitely more reputable than anything on appspot though. I've never heard of anyone caring about appspot lol.
    Thank you for reassuring me lol.

Recently, i made a mistake, I hastily deleted a google account which has 2 appspot.com websites so I could use my new email on my old youtube account. The 2 appspot.com websites are still not deleted but I can't access it anymore... and what suck with appspot is once an application ID (subdomain) is taken, it's taken even if it's deleted :/

So I decide to move to github o.o lol
    I made a website with my github profile and a 2nd website by making an organization xD Had to download Git (for the bash lol)

Yeah git is great once you learn it.

It's so hard to find new free web hosters nowaday. Most of them are "CMS" or "easy build up" templates :s

hard to find good ones like github.io or appspot.com lol

heroku.com is too long (herokuapp.com)

Microsoft Azure is even more worse lol (azurewebsite.net) lol.

It took me 2 days to figure out how to clear the credentials by Git on Windows xD

Git is faster to deploy compare to appspot.com with google plugins on Eclipse lol

Quote Originally Posted by LordRixuel View Post
    It's so hard to find new free web hosters nowaday.
    Maybe do more research? I still find plenty of them. Even if there is templates, you can just do it the other way around. Look at Sniper SJA, he visited various free hosting site in order to put his stuff up.

http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript for uscript discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamberly View Post
    Maybe do more research? I still find plenty of them. Even if there is templates, you can just do it the other way around. Look at Sniper SJA, he visited various free hosting site in order to put his stuff up.
    I'm very picky when the URL is under the form: mysubdomainhere.domain.tld :P

1 - In the ___.domain.___, I want a short name (8 characters or less) and no numbers.
    2 - In the ___.______.tld, I prefer .com because it's the most popular tld lol .io is ok, but I just hope people don't forget it or misspell it like that ".oi" x_x
    3 - Then, I want the freedom to code my html/css/js files :3
    4 - Subdomain name must be available.
    5 - No ads is a must :P

I found a lot of web hosting that fit the #1 and #2 criteria.
    Everytime, when I found one that fit the #3 criteria, #1 , #2 or #4 are always mess up (mostly #1 ) :x
    With Github, #1 , #4 and #3 fit, #2 , partially o.o
    With Appspot, it was perfect, but because i made a dumb mistake, i dont have access to my websites anymore they are not even deleted yet and even if it's deleted, curse Google won't let me reuse my "subdomain" again D:

Why not host on heroku and buy a cheap domain to point to it?

Thread Information