User Tag List

View Poll Results: will ut die with ipv6?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • wtf is that?

9 32.14%
  • UT wont ever die!

9 32.14%
  • ut will die.. RIP

3 10.71%
  • you suck

9 32.14%
  • siege is the best game ever!!1

7 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ipv6 and ut

ipv6 and ut

What will happen, are they compatible?!
    Last edited by areku; 01-29-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Well, if we consider that it's not only UT which relies on ipv4, but many worldwide programs and games (including but not limited to enterprise programs which they won't simply let go), with the ipv6 implementation they must be able to still support ipv4 somehow, otherwise no one will simply accept it as many ipv4 only equipments and software are still used, and their abandon would mean some millions in costs to buy new software and equipment.

good to know thanks

now who voted i suck..?

I didn't (I didn't even vote lol).

Answering those who don't know what ipv6 is: basically the ip adress still used (since tcp exists) is called ipv4, as the address is composed by 4 bytes of info (0-255 each), so you adresses like: 192.168.100.128 for example.
    With ipv6, you add 2 extra bytes, making the adress having 6 bytes of info instead, like: 192.255.200.168.100.128.

Why the change from ipv4 to ipv6: well, each ip corresponds to a single machine or "terminal": pc, router or even isp gateway, however the world is getting bigger communications wise and most electronic stuff nowadays are needing more and more ip assigns as they need to communicate over the web. With ipv4 there's a big limitation of available number of ips, and with the world growing it will soon become an issue to give ips without conflicts, or give ips at all since there are none available, and ipv6 should be the solution to get around that problem.

The Best There Ever Will Be! |uK|B|aZe//.'s Avatar
    i voted for 4 things

Let me wrap it up.

The world is running out of IP addresses and we need more. Hence IPV6

Quote Originally Posted by Feralidragon View Post
    With ipv6, you add 2 extra bytes, making the adress having 6 bytes of info instead, like: 192.255.200.168.100.128.
    ipv6 uses colons.. uk ip would be:

http://[0:0:0:0:0:0:209.160.77.22] or http://[::209.160.77.22] or http://[::D1A0:4D16]

Happens that ut cant open these ips because it will take anything that is before the first colon as the ip, even if u put [] around it, so you wont be able to play ut when ipv4 stops working.. if it ever stops, I think.

Well, the fact there are so many forms and conversions from ipv4 to ipv6 and ipv6 to ipv4, proves my point about that we simply don't have to worry about it. Many stuff still works with ipv4 only, and they don't need to be converted to ipv6 to start with, or servers/routers can simply make that conversion to keep backward compatibility.

UT is not the only "popular" game with active ipv4 based servers, so shutting ipv4 completelly down would mean shut down most of the world to start with.

SORRY THE INTERNET IS FULL TRY AGAIN LATER

lol scar.

Thread Information