NewNet on a UT lan possible?

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NewNet on a UT lan possible?

Hey I was wondering if there's a way to implement NewNet on a UT LAN? I'm visiting some friends this weekend and we usually play UT when we all get together. But we've ran into a bunch of problems such as: some LAG, shots going through players, dodging randomly stops working, gameplay feels a little slower at times, shots coming out .5s after firing, etc. I mean it's not so bad after you get used to it, but it's annoying watching shots go through people and then they kill you right after lol. I'm under the impression NewNet gets rid of most if not all these bugs.

Also, I've never setup a custom UT server, let alone a NewNet server besides hosting the default LAN server on my comp or one of my friend's. Any noobfriendly help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Newnet is a good way to improve bad vs low pings mainly so, i think it is probably not helpful with a LAN party ...
    @TimTim ?
    Blond's copyrighted

Quote Originally Posted by Jst2blond View Post
    Newnet is a good way to improve bad vs low pings mainly so, i think it is probably not helpful with a LAN party ...
    Like this... I don't think it was built for LAN.

http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript for uscript discussion.

Question : Does Moderators on a LAN party got a real hammer ? It should be sooo gooood

LAMER !!!!BAAAN !!!!
    Blond's copyrighted

in a LAN everyone literally everyone has less than 50 ping why would you even think of using NewNet lel
    Quote Originally Posted by |uK|UNrealshots View Post
    You're playing a game that came out in 1999 in the year 2012 who is the fucking nerd here?
    All of us. Enjoy.

Ya I know it seems dumb to want a client side hit detection mod on a LAN. But, I thought I read somewhere that NewNet gets rid of dodging bugs and shots going through peeps. That's mainly what I wanted to use it for.

Is there any alternatives to get rid of the LAN bugs such as patches or some edits to to the UT.ini?

yes, it is perfectly possible. Will be like a net game, not lan, how you said, nn fix a lot bugs, but with ping 30(-) i think is better play with original netcode. Newnet change the weapon damages (you can fix on ut.ini), limit the max ammo of shock/sniper (why @TimTim, why?), bio sec dont kill, pulse/mini dont lock down... some times rockets dont work on lifts/movers...

btw, @TimTim im curious to know if is possible make a newnet only for balance the ping differences... a newnet with UT original damages, fire rate, lock down, ammo limit etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanJim View Post
    But we've ran into a bunch of problems such as: some LAG, shots going through players, dodging randomly stops working, gameplay feels a little slower at times, shots coming out .5s after firing, etc. I mean it's not so bad after you get used to it, but it's annoying watching shots go through people and then they kill you right after lol. I'm under the impression NewNet gets rid of most if not all these bugs.
    You're having these problems with original UT or NN?

If you're playing on a LAN, everyone should have < 10 ping so there's no need for NN. But yeah I fixed quite a few annoying bugs with the original UT (and UTPure). I actually refuse to play reg UT now because I notice those bugs way more than I did before I created NN and they annoy me too much lol.

The source code is available for anyone anyone else who wants to give it a shot, or you can try mixing and matching older versions because stuff like the biorifle worked with those. You'd had to find those older versions yourself because I formatted a while back and didn't bother backing that stuff up since I found it relatively pointless to do so. For $100/hour I'd be glad to put more time into NN and make it perfect but anything less just isn't worth the time/effort lol.

--- Updated ---

Also, @medor is right, you definitely need a tick fix.

Quote Originally Posted by TimTim View Post
    You're having these problems with original UT or NN?

If you're playing on a LAN, everyone should have < 10 ping so there's no need for NN. But yeah I fixed quite a few annoying bugs with the original UT (and UTPure). I actually refuse to play reg UT now because I notice those bugs way more than I did before I created NN and they annoy me too much lol.

The source code is available for anyone anyone else who wants to give it a shot, or you can try mixing and matching older versions because stuff like the biorifle worked with those. You'd had to find those older versions yourself because I formatted a while back and didn't bother backing that stuff up since I found it relatively pointless to do so. For $100/hour I'd be glad to put more time into NN and make it perfect but anything less just isn't worth the time/effort lol.

--- Updated ---

Also, @medor is right, you definitely need a tick fix.
    I was having all these problems playing reg UT on a LAN. It was super annoying watching shots constantly going through peeps and dodging stops working. So I just wanted to tryout NN on LAN and see how it went (even though it wasn't designed for it).

I tried those links medor posted, I implemented the tickrate fix and tried putting the the server mods he posted. I setup the server but whenever someone connected, it would be downloading stuff(waited 30min for one comp to connect, but it kept downloading shit lol). I didn't know how to setup a NN server but setting up the server that medor posted gave me the idea into setting up a NN server. I downloaded NN 0.9 w/ mapvote and figured out how to use the server commands to setup timelimit, frag limit,etc. and played for a couple hours with some friends.

Thoughts:
    IMHO I think playing LAN UT on NN was better than reg LAN UT. dodging was working all the time and didn't notice any shots going through peeps. Those were the big 2 issues for me that I wanted to work correctly. I know NN wasn't designed for LAN, but it seemed a lot better.

There's a bug though in NN, but it's a hilarious one. Sometimes when the match starts, 1 or 2 players would be flying all over the map like they would in spec and still able to shoot lol. But once they died it ended, I wished I had a recording of it because all of us were laughing when it happened. I think one of my buddies said the movement animation seemed a little off but wasn't that big of deal.

Thread Information