Conflict of the Guardians

User Tag List

Conflict of the Guardians

You rat bastards!

*ahem*

What I mean to say, there's a number of things I put aside to get back to later in life. I don't have much of a life but I've got some, so I can't necessarily try everything as soon as I learned about it. Which is why I haven't tried Siege yet, so much else ahead of it.

Over on ut99.org there's been a discussion about Quake models converted to UT and I suggested this one:

This is the Guardian model. It's a fave of mine, I just love it to pieces. However, someone who took an interest in it the other day discovered a small problem, the thing causes a file mismatch with Siege.

The Guardian model comes out of the Guardian.u file, but apparently Siege also has a Guardian.u file.

Which, as I love this model, I guess I won't be ever trying Siege now.

Full details here · UT99.org | Guardian model : Skins
    Last edited by evilgrins; 06-25-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: typo
    Have you hugged a Skaarj today?
    http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/

I think Siege's Guardian.u is for Poison Guardian(? or maybe is for Remove Guardian...
    Either case, @Higor
    Quote Originally Posted by |uK|UNrealshots View Post
    You're playing a game that came out in 1999 in the year 2012 who is the fucking nerd here?
    All of us. Enjoy.

I'm sorry but you can't bash anyone here who didn't make that guardian.u file. Like I said, it was created by nOs*Badger, and he is in another forum. Regardless how long each files are known, it's just better much appreciate to leave it as is until someone decided to work on it. The complication of Siege files are a lot harder than just those models and skins. Siege has been popular for awhile. So let's respect each work because we have our own cache manager to deal with it.

Now, you get a spanking for this. Be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by ~~D4RR3N~~ View Post
    I think Siege's Guardian.u is for Poison Guardian(? or maybe is for Remove Guardian...
    Nah, I already mentioned it in the link that Evil has posted.
    Last edited by Chamberly; 06-25-2014 at 05:15 PM.

http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript for uscript discussion.

Spanking?!

I think not!

Quote Originally Posted by evilgrins View Post
    Spanking?!

I think not!

http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript for uscript discussion.

Unreal packages are internally extensionless.
    Therefore, they cannot share names, even if we're talking about maps.

Unreal Packages mostly are:
    U - Code
    UNR - Maps.
    UAX - Sound
    UMX - Music
    UTX - Texture
    UXX - Cache
    USA - Save
    USM - Static Mesh
    DLL - Bound to other packages or loaded standalone.

They all share the same format and therefore, they can be loaded with any extension.

Particularities:
    - You may load objects belonging to any package using unreal's internal DynamicLoadObject, as long as there's not a second file sharing a name somewhere in the folders.
    - You may load ANY package by using the OBJ LOAD command, and even load it into a different package name itself.
    - If you serialize two packages loaded into the same name, both packages will be merged in the result memory/file.
    - Regardless of extension, the OPEN command performs this internal command: DynamicLoadObject( Package$".MyLevel", class'Level', true), if the MyLevel object exists within the package, it is brought up as a map.

If you preload Guardian.u into the model selection, you may not load a single map that uses Guardian.umx music file, neither you'll be able to redirect said .U file.
    That is because map loading uses DynamicLoadObject method and does not recognize file extensions, the OBJ LOAD macro is only used in Editor and UCC Make commands.
    Guardian.umx is an official file and there will be no discussion about conflicts, rename Guardian.u into something else, then rebuild the INT descriptor.
    ------------------------------------- * -------------------------------------

The Best There Ever Will Be! |uK|B|aZe//.'s Avatar
    LOL chamberly you should really try siege its awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Higor View Post
    If you preload Guardian.u into the model selection, you may not load a single map that uses Guardian.umx music file, neither you'll be able to redirect said .U file.
    Never noticed I had a music file of the same name before, but I'm assuming what you said here has to do with online play. The Guardian models are used in my general random selection in Xbots, and they have been playing on maps with Guardian.umx playing in the past without any issue... offline anyway.

Thread Information