User Tag List

Thread: Hello!

Post Hello!

Some of you might know who I am already but I'll provide a brief history.

2002 - I was visiting some random friend of my mother in New York, and their kids were playing Unreal (not Unreal Tournament) on their PC and it looked like the coolest game I'd ever seen. They burned me a copy and I became pretty obsessed with it, playing it every chance I got, which actually wasn't very often as my dad limited access to his PC.

2003 - Built a crappy 266 MHz PC from some spare parts my dad had lying around and played Deck nonstop on some Jolt servers with 250 ping and maybe 20 fps. I actually got pretty good, considering. The original Unreal scene was actually pretty active over the next couple of years, and with some hardware and connection (DSL yayy!) upgrades, I reached the point where I didn't lose a single 1v1 or TDM game over at least a year. During this time, I did try out UT99 but of course since it wasn't the game I'd grown to love over the years, I always found myself going back to U1.

2005 - I went off to college and built a beast of a gaming PC (for the time lol) and eventually made my way to UT2004, as U1 was dying off. I was decent at UT2004 but certainly not a top player, and I didn't care at all for the "competitive" scene over at prounreal so in my youth and immaturity at the time, I took it upon myself to troll the ever living shit out of the jack asses there.

2007 - School, friends, and work pretty much took over. I stopped playing PC games altogether, and only played a handful of games with friends on 360. I did miss PC gaming and the Unreal series especially. Nothing can compare. But I didn't have time for it, and activity was low.

2008 - I began playing drums in a technical metalcore band. We ended up signing to Victory Records within the next year.

2009 - I graduated from university with a Bachelor's of Science degree in Computer Engineering. I had a pretty sweet paid internship at Ingersoll Rand where I developed web applications to streamline processes involving customer care and machine health. Two others in my band graduated college that year as well, and we went on tour shortly after. I was able to continue working for Ingersoll Rand remotely while on the road, using my phone tethered to my laptop in our van. I toured with the band for over a year and developed some software to make keeping track of sales (as required by Victory) easier. Sadly, the whole touring band thing wasn't at all like I expected it to be, and I grew tired of it (and the genre of music) and left the band in 2010 to pursue a business opportunity involving the software I developed for the band.

2010 - I made a flexible version of the band's software for any band to use and called it TourLogger. There was a demand for it, and a handful of bands signed up without me doing any real marketing, but I eventually canned it to pursue another idea and that should tap into a much larger market (or many markets at once).

2011 - Began development of Loggur, which is currently powering the majority of GlobalUnreal.com. I've pivoted a couple of times over the past couple of years as I've realized better methods and directions to take it, so it's still a work in progress, barely in the alpha stages, but it should be complete very soon. All that's left are some optimizations. Shortly after that, you'll see a whole new GU site.

Now, as for how I got back into the Unreal scene...

My work had essentially taken over my brain. It was the only think I could think of at all times, even in my sleep, even when out with friends, even when playing games on my 360 or Wii. I had to find something that would divert my attention, and I remembered how intense the Unreal series was and how it always required my full attention for me to be any good at it. So I did some research and found the most active corner of the Unreal series I could find at the time, which ended up being UT99's #tdmpickups channel. All I had for PC gaming was my laptop, which luckily was able to run UT well enough. But after not playing any PC games for 4 years... wow, I got owned. It was unacceptable, so I remained active and ended up winning the next MLTDM undefeated.

After a while, I grew to love UT and couldn't help but notice it was on its way out. Things had grown stale. Player numbers were dwindling. Competition was almost nonexistent. I paid close attention to the community: what works, what doesn't, and what could be done to improve activity. I asked around, "If I created newnet, would you all play it?" Nearly everyone said yes. There was a bit of discussion, and it seemed that at the time, everyone deemed it impossible for UT99.

So in 2012, I began working on it in my free time, and damn were those early versions rough. You would not believe some of the ridiculous hacks I've had to do to get the first Unreal Engine to do things it was never meant to do. There's still some work to be done, but it should reach version 1.0 soon, at which time I will release it publicly.

Nowadays, we have a steady stream of pugs in #iPug and #uPug (and now #siege!) on irc.globalgamers.net. You should be able to find a pug in at least one of these channels at any given time.

And as for the future, we have a lot of awesome things planned for GlobalUnreal. I won't reveal too much, but basically, imagine a modern environment for UT where pugs, leagues, tournaments, player profiles, team profiles, histories, you name it... are all streamlined to the maximum and all tie in together. Then add some whipped cream and a cherry on top. That's what's coming!

But enough stroking my ego now haha... Hello everyone! My name is Tim.
    Last edited by TimTim; 08-13-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Hi Tim

lol I'm with @'Zac there!

Hi @TimTim welcome

lol i like you already

great intro timtim interesting things you managed to have done.

Thread Information