SiegeUltimateRC14a comments and suggestions - Page 10

User Tag List

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    I haven't gotten into the Client settings page yet, which is the strongest point of the new constructor.
    The client settings will give the player great freedom to make his client look and behave the way this one sees fit, like changing the constructor's appearance.

BTW, the constructor timers are now TickRate independant, meaning that the server tickrate won't affect the timers negatively anymore, so expect the constructor to operate at least 5% faster.
    I'm planning to implement this on the sgBuilding timers at some point as well.

EDIT:
    Sev, the servers already run most of the Siege code at times lesser than 2 milliseconds, and less than 5 on a normal computer. Which is a fine value.
    The real problem comes on replication, the relevancy checks take up to 8 milliseconds alone on crowded games, and will skyrocket if build count exceeds 50.

Gonna have to borrow the PUG server one of these days to do extensive tests, if only the ADMIN SET commands worked... @SAM why is this?
    Last edited by Higor; 10-28-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    ------------------------------------- * -------------------------------------

No that won't do... the PUG server is a completely different animal, and is limited to only 10 players. (12 MAX)

We could use a Hardware Report that the Siege Server runs on and player location can drastically effect individual performance, as does network traffic and routing tables at any given time from particular regions.
    Last edited by .seVered.][; 10-28-2012 at 02:35 PM.

It's a CHOICE, BTW. Optionally configured to use it or not. Mostly I like how SMOOTH it switches and allows you to EXECUTE what you want in a hurry. (which could be because the list of things to do and choices is not populated entirely yet... *wink) but I hope that change persists thru the development.

I'm referring to the lag you feel when you switch between choices in the the old clicky menu.... that is no longer there.

The relevancy checks are not as expensive as I thought, but the variable replication ones are the CPU consuming.
    Optimizing the netcode isn't just reducing bandwidth, but CPU usage from replication statements, and that's not as simple.

Opened 3 UT's, gave the host (listen server with variable tickrate) maximum CPU priority.
    Made 2 clients join and found this:

Player0 (host)
    Player1
    Player2

70 containers built by Player0 (no net traffic to this one).
    NetUpdateFrequency=50 (yes, i reduced it from 100)
    - bAlwaysRelevant = True ===>> NET = 2.5 ms (average)
    - bAlwaysRelevant = False ===>> NET = 2.0 ms (average)

Now, my UT runs with a bugfixed version of my NetRateAdjuster.
    With bAlwaysRelevant ON all builds (around 85):
    Reducing the global sgBuilding net rate percentage to 40% (20 hz) got a nice result:
    NET = 1.9 ms (average).

Let's not mention the player updates reduction made by the adjuster, which already reduce player and build updates per second reducing both network traffic and CPU usage as the player count goes up.
    The simple fact I reduced the global sgBuilding NetUprateFrequency from 100 to 50 on RC14 meant a slight decrease of CPU consumption on the PUB server (it runs at 65fps), if we alter those values with the adjuster, we will make a low resource server run far smoother.

======
    On your second post, that's simulation for you, transfer a bit of CPU load to the client to perform actions that look obvious and the server shouldn't bother doing.
    The nuke siren will be another example as well.

Sorry for not jumping on this sooner.

The pug server should allow ADMIN SET are you sure you have the full correct command?

Also the dev work sounds like it's going well! I don't think you should worry too much about actually rewriting new stuff like constructor etc until you know you are happy with the full package ie it has been fully revised.

Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    Sorry for not jumping on this sooner.

The pug server should allow ADMIN SET are you sure you have the full correct command?

Also the dev work sounds like it's going well! I don't think you should worry too much about actually rewriting new stuff like constructor etc until you know you are happy with the full package ie it has been fully revised.
    He's sure... It does not. As am I.

Weird :s. I'll look today.

Fixed bug with platforms taking 2x damage in some cases.
    Added Antigravity platform (i bet some of you remember that one), can be added in the category via INI.

Also:

EDIT:
    Removal adds a little extra amount of RU for upgraded buildings, with owner as priority if removed by somebody else.
    Last edited by Higor; 11-01-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Teleporters stopped building properly for blue nuke room in bathrooms. This wasn't a map issue prior to RC13, so it seems teleporters have been modified in some way. So again, 4 issues with the teleporter:
    - Burning2012; teleporter dies instantly after built to access mid
    - Bathrooms; teleporter to nuke room drain cannot be built
    - Teleporter gives points for upgrading, even though upgrading does nothing and costs nothing (this is a similar problem for many other buildings, especially items - it's even worse for warheads, which have a substantial cost and receive no benefit for upgrading)
    - When built a short distance from the ground, a teleporter through which a player comes may spit the player back to the other teleporter

I'm going to play another game and see about updating a comprehensive list of "little stuff" that I think might help Siege...

- Upgrade issue: fixed.
    - Bathrooms and Burning2012: map issue.
    - Spit back issue: It's a lagless tele bug, your client moves you to the other side, but server rejects the teleportation due to the other teleporter being obstructed, then the server updates your location and sends your client back to where it should.
    Will do something about it someday.

Thread Information