Configuring Unreal Tournament to run better on newer hardware

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Configuring Unreal Tournament to run better on newer hardware

I've been researching and messing around lately trying to get Unreal Tournament to run smooth on my computer and thought I'd share what I've learned with the community.

S3TC Textures:

*Not off disk2 these are better*

Improves performance & looks on newer computers

- Download and replace textures in texture folder

*Saving stock textures to a seperate folder will allow you to put them back without reinstalling*

S3TC MasterFiles High End

These were updated September 25th 2011.

Graphics:

Download updated video renderer

utglr37 (Open Gl) or Direct3D9 or Direct3D10

I'm not very knowledgeable with the Unrealtournament.ini settings for these as I am still learning and slowly improving mine but the following link will offer some guidance.

*I would appreciate it if someone that does know what they're doing where to share information.*

UT99.org | TUTORIAL: Tweak Your UT Graphics & Audio To The Maximum : Tips, Tricks & Tutorials

CPU:

*If Unreal Tournament runs choppy this may help*
    *Not sure if setting Unreal Tournament to run on 1 processor is necessary but it is suggested*

“In some unfortunate cases (that more likely applies for systems with AMD CPUs and laptop computers) you need to disable AMD Cool'n'Quiet or Intel SpeedStep features from system BIOS to maintain smooth gameplay (where game does not exceed normal framerates so it will run at hectic and inconstant speeds). It happens because the nature of first UT engine was coded. In 1999 all home PC-s were single-core systems and didn't automatically adjust CPU clock speeds. UT1 engine has no idea about multi-core CPUs, therefore the occasional speed issues.”

My Bios didn't have Cool'n'Quiet or Speedstep but something was causing my proccessor to slow to conserve power which caused UT to "run at hectic and inconstant speeds" so I had to find another solution.

Download/Install: CPU-Z CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

- Start Unreal Tournament & Minimize (Proccessor takes on load and starts running at its actual speed)
    - Start CPU-Z & take note of core speed

- Right click your UT shortcut - Properties

Add under target: after C:\UnrealTournament\System\UnrealTournament.exe –cpuspeed speed

This will force it to run at a set speed which should result in smoother gameplay, and could but isn't guranteed to get rid of choppiness.
    Last edited by Neff; 02-14-2013 at 07:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by .se\/ered.][ View Post
    OMG.. Never let anyone tell you to drop your firewall! Might as well drop you Pants and bend over!

already have

Oh cool, I'm going to try that cpu thing, maybe that will stop the annoying 20 fps with mouse lag i get every 5 minutes for a few seconds.

I would have to try the CPU thing too. I don't need high end textures like that since I'm no fan of it.

Also, can't forget about this. If you have more than 1 CPU, and the game is slower or faster sometime... do this. Start UT, open task manager, right click ut.exe, set affinity, and choose 1 cpu only (every other else is unchecked). Restart ut. This will help A LOT. Took months for me to research on it but that fixed my problem.

http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript for uscript discussion.

I uninstalled.

The game looked better and fluid but for some reason had more lag in the shooting.

The cpu thing has helped a bit with the unstable fps.
    Thanks @Neff

Quote Originally Posted by luis View Post
    I uninstalled.

The game looked better and fluid but for some reason had more lag in the shooting.
    Sorry about that its a ton more fluid for me but shooting does seem to happen slower, don't know if its settings or too much gpu power going into the textires but having people jerk around less is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by .se\/ered.][ View Post
    OMG.. Never let anyone tell you to drop your firewall! Might as well drop you Pants and bend over!

I do not know why, but when i first saw the name of this thread, it just reminded me of Diogo aka Kyzer and his silly post. His post was pretty much about how to be good as unrealshots. I believe unrealshots, dem, con and csnafk will know what i am talking about.
    "What's Yours Is Mine" Garret Thief (2013)
    Roberto Gómez Bolaños "Chespirito" fue si querer queriendo. You'll be missed.

I think i have seen the post your talking about, the one with the illegal tweaks and weird mouse/fov settings?

Something about retarded hz and illegal tweaks yeah, he said like 772hz is better for aiming etc... lolol

Thread Information