User Tag List

Thread: Web Dev Stuff

Web Dev Stuff

@UT-Sniper-SJA94 and possibly @seabass and anyone else interested in web dev/programming might find this stuff interesting. I'll start posting here about some of what I'm working on.

I published this today:
    https://medium.com/@timbur/react-aut...ors-c4e35a39f1

Hah, I had that open in a tab since you posted it on IRC yesterday, and I've already read through a lot of it.

I've never really done any web dev stuff other than converting a simple static webpage to a wordpress theme for my sister in law's business and I'm playing a little bit with elm (though I'm still a complete noob there. I figured elm would ease me into learning Haskell.)
    I'm interested in learning more about web dev stuff, so I'll definitely read what you post here!

I've basically done some HTML and CSS mostly for the web, but not much more tbh.

http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript for uscript discussion.

To give some idea about what's possible with this kind of web application design, if you've ever used Discord, know that it is 100% a web application using nearly all of the same tools (Babel, ES6, Webpack, React, Flux, etc.) that I outlined in that article.

Quote Originally Posted by TimTim View Post
    if you've ever used Discord, know that it is 100% a web application using nearly all of the same tools (Babel, ES6, Webpack, React, Flux, etc.) that I outlined in that article.
    LOL @seabass ^^^

http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript for uscript discussion.

That's fascinating. My impression of desktop apps written using web technologies has been based on what I've read about the Atom editor and people seem to complain about performance issues all the time.
    This must be caused by implementation details then, because Discord isn't using much in terms of system resources at all and it feels snappy.

Quote Originally Posted by seabass View Post
    That's fascinating. My impression of desktop apps written using web technologies has been based on what I've read about the Atom editor and people seem to complain about performance issues all the time.
    This must be caused by implementation details then, because Discord isn't using much in terms of system resources at all and it feels snappy.
    Indeed. Atom was built using mostly CoffeeScript and the implementation involved much older paradigms. Older in the JS world means a few years ago lol but I think we're finally reaching some kind of equilibrium nowadays. React+Flux only started gaining some real traction within the past year or two. It's definitely the superior way to design apps and even games. One of React's first selling points wasn't only its declarative, reactive nature, but it has really efficient re-rendering algorithms (virtual DOM diffing), which ensures that when some property changes, the browser only re-renders the minimum necessary portion of the DOM; whereas, without React (or virtual DOM diffs), every relevant portion of the document (or game) gets re-rendered upon every change, which as you might imagine can cause a lot of unnecessary lag when you have hundreds (or thousands!) of nodes.

Saw this article today. Might be useful for folks like @UT-Sniper-SJA94 who are interested in JavaScript.

http://kamranahmed.info/blog/2016/04/04/es6-in-depth/

The only real issue I have with the article is that the author is using `var` when he should always use `const` and `let` with ES6.
    Last edited by TimTim; 04-05-2016 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks for the document.

I was originally intending for spawn killer 3 to be my first ES6 project, but stuck with es5 this time.

I have also installed node on my computer last week, I haven't done anything yet, but I'm thinking of doing a management tool for UT after I finish Spawn killer 3, and probably hitdog too.

Thread Information