Why do I take immediate damage when I play on a laggy server?

User Tag List

Why do I take immediate damage when I play on a laggy server?

Hi all,
    If my weapons and movement are laggy, shouldn't I also be laggy receiving damage too? It's getting really old getting taking instant damage while my weapons barely do any damage at all.

Thanks,
    BR

I have felt the opposite to be true, often when server is laggy and I'm sniping I will dodge in and out of cover, I might be inside cover for two seconds before the head shot registers and I'm killed

In my eye (but I can say bullshit) this looks like a broken lag comp (newnet?) due to server lag and/or player lag ?.

For example, I get killed several times 0.5 second after cover behind a wall.
    Also, I sometime get killed from invisible players front of an obstacle I'm aiming at. Then when dead, i see the guy who killed me dodging over the corner/door/whatever obstacle.
    I few times myself hit invisible players when spamming shots at doors (like in duku for example) and also kill players that passed a wall (because i was to slow to aim at them and fired too late but get a frag anyway?!).

So, I have the feeling that hitboxes does not perfectly match player skins on uk/us servers.

For me that's often not accurate at all and i have to constantly re-adapt to this issue over time -quite boring-. Sometimes hitboxes are a bit in advance relative to player skin, sometimes a bit delayed behind the skin and sometime perfectly match the skin, depending of player (plus own lag/server lag?).

Also, I'm pretty sure some players get (unwanted) advantage of this lag comp issue or how you name it. Some are simply too much hard to hit or just fire too much early, like if they were seeing you 200ms before you see them. When someone cumulates both, that's just no way, losing over 80% fights even if you know by where that player will come and you are ready to fire. Usually:

• case 1: You see his gib ray (= you dead) before to see his skin..
    • case 2: you shoot at around same time, you see your gib ray hit his skin ( but like if you shoot a wall) and you die anyway.
    • case 3: you fire and your gib ray pass through his skin, like if there is nobody where you are aiming at..

Perhaps those issues comes from my connection. Even if i ping 30 on UK and 95-100 on US, I experience this more often vs players with 50+ ping over my own ping (usually, eastern Europe players/Russians and some Spanish bots ).
    Any idea anyone?

-Edit-
    @TimTim: What a player see in his screen matches his skin or his hitbox ?
    I ask because if a player hitbox is a bit in advance relative to his skin and the player camera match his hitbox instead of his skin, it could explain why I sometime get 'WTF' killed before to see enemies that pop up front of me.
    Last edited by zrt; 08-23-2014 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    If my weapons and movement are laggy, shouldn't I also be laggy receiving damage too?
    @zrt The OP must be talking about reg or ZP, since there is no client lag with weapons/movement in newnet. I will address a couple of your points quickly though. One, if you really die after 0.5 seconds after taking cover, that would be due to your killer having a really high ping (300+). In a more active game, it would make sense to provide an option to prevent players from joining who have a ping over some configurable value, maybe 160 by default. Two, the hitboxes in UT99 suck. There's no difference between newnet hitboxes and reg hitboxes, how they're placed, etc., but the fact that they suck is more easily noticeable as a result of the greatly increased smoothness of everything.

And to address the OP's question, it's a matter of logistics and latency. No amount of coding can solve that problem. Newnet actually tries to compensate for projectiles so you're better able to dodge them, but if multiple people are playing with 200+ ping, there's only so much that can be done. And to elaborate on the logistics and why you perceive it the way you do when you're lagging, I'll try to put it simply: When you fire your weapon, it takes some time for that information to be sent to the server, and then for the server to tell you whether you've hit the enemy, which is a round trip that can take some time if you're lagging. But when someone else hits you, that information is a one way trip, and you're only aware of it as soon as you receive it, which is why you perceive it to be instant.

I know what you guys mean. I often get killed by someone I never see until I'm dead and then I see them fire/dodge at me. At which point I start spamming at health and doorways all over the map hoping I will hit someone. Too be honest I think more about my connection to servers then gameplay. What's the point of being a good aimer if the target isn't where they appear on the map? It really blows losing to unskilled players with better connections.

Quote Originally Posted by TimTim View Post
    The OP must be talking about reg or ZP, since there is no client lag with weapons/movement in newnet.
    oh ok, so sorry to have a bit hijacked your topic @Bad Robot

@TimTim, thanks for clarification, I'll have some other questions in the future about nn, but i'll make my own thread or PM you.

One, if you really die after 0.5 seconds after taking cover, that would be due to your killer having a really high ping (300+).
    Hum, i noticed it happens with 160+ pingers when servers full.

In a more active game, it would make sense to provide an option to prevent players from joining who have a ping over some configurable value, maybe 160 by default.
    Agreed, like actually 50% of players are 160+ ping , it would be a non-sense on our little community to kick over 160+ . nn works fine enough anyway, that's np

Two, the hitboxes in UT99 suck. There's no difference between newnet hitboxes and reg hitboxes, how they're placed, etc., but the fact that they suck is more easily noticeable as a result of the greatly increased smoothness of everything.
    Indeed they suck lol, but I though you worked on it with nn to make hitboxes match better with skins by killing useless routines that can cause lag or override it with new code or whatever. It just means I have no clue about nn works atm ^^
    And yes, the smoothness tickrate (compared to the 20 to 35 TR i was used earlier in 2000's) and other stuff help a lot to notice this much better, especially since I finally purchased a good monitor 2 weeks ago, now I can clearly see the hitboxes-lag when playing @144hz.

Thread Information