SiegeIV Bug's, Nag's and Complaints.. and IDEAS! - Page 34

User Tag List

Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    Nagging again for the dampener. Still doesn't properly mute minigun, ripper, and possibly other sounds (understood that it doesn't and shouldn't mute speed). Not sure if it covers footfalls.
    Sound scaling on footsteps was first implemented in UT2k3.
    And some of the weapon's sounds are played by the projectile, not the weapon and most of these ignore the sound dampening.

Speaking of weapons, I was looking at the Rocket Launcher's lock system... boy what a mess it is.
    Facts:

- Weapon doesn't do targeting at all, it calls the player owner's PickTarget function (apparently for speed reasons).

- PickTarget is a native function, you don't get to see the targeting criterias... I'll show you below.
    It considers any non-player non-team pawn as targetable, that includes team sgBuildings.
    Given the nature of PickTarget, it was optimized for speed, although RocketLauncher only needs to call that function TWICE in a 1.25 second span.

- TWICE? Yes, once to 'grab' target, and a second time to 'confirm' target.
    There is a bug here, if 'grabbed' target differs from 'confirm' then lock fails, this means that rocket launcher cannot properly lock a target if some other pawn crosses your aim while you're trying to lock onto a specific enemy.

So, things to fix the rocket launcher mess:
    - Specify an angle/wideness between enemy and crosshair where lock cannot be overriden by a second pawn (once you're following a target, it sticks there).
    - Test the 'grabbed' target for said angle/availability first, before going back to selecting a new target (or coincidentally choosing the same one if out of secure angle).
    - Use own targeting system so that sgBuilding's can be team-filtered (and maybe prioritize mines?)
    - Increase weapon responsiveness by running the check timer at twice the rate when there's no grabbed target.

- - - Updated - - -

Extracted from leaked sources:
    Code:
    void APawn::execPickTarget( FFrame& Stack, RESULT_DECL )
    {
    	guardSlow(APawn::execPickTarget);

P_GET_FLOAT_REF(bestAim);
    	P_GET_FLOAT_REF(bestDist);
    	P_GET_VECTOR(FireDir);
    	P_GET_VECTOR(projStart);
    	P_FINISH;
    	APawn *pick = NULL;
    	for ( APawn *next=GetLevel()->GetLevelInfo()->PawnList; next!=NULL; next=next->nextPawn )
    	{
    		if ( (next != this) && (next->Health > 0) && next->bProjTarget
    			&& (!PlayerReplicationInfo || !next->PlayerReplicationInfo
    				|| !GetLevel()->GetLevelInfo()->Game->bTeamGame
    				|| (PlayerReplicationInfo->Team != next->PlayerReplicationInfo->Team)) )
    		{
    			FLOAT newAim = FireDir | (next->Location - projStart);
    			if ( newAim > 0 )
    			{
    				FLOAT FireDist = (next->Location - projStart).SizeSquared();
    				if ( FireDist < 4000000.f )
    				{
    					FireDist = appSqrt(FireDist);
    					newAim = newAim/FireDist;
    					if ( (newAim > *bestAim) && LineOfSightTo(next) )
    					{
    						pick = next;
    						*bestAim = newAim;
    						*bestDist = FireDist;
    					}
    				}
    			}
    		}
    	}

*(APawn**)Result = pick; 
    	unguardSlow;
    }
    ------------------------------------- * -------------------------------------

WHY AM I EVEN DOING THIS SHEEEEEIT: https://github.com/CacoFFF/SiegeIV-U...c5dac3f1dfd93f
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...orWheel_01.mp4

Ah yeah, two-three step selection of any building/action in the constructor, it needs a crapton of new fancy icons but once it's done:
    - Hold Alt-fire + tap Fire as usual, only that this time instead of the old GUI you get the wheel (you may release alt-fire).
    - Select the category in the wheel.
    - Then select the building in the wheel.

I plan to add more functions to it, and indicators that can be extremely useful...

Have you ever played Left 4 Dead? You could hold a certain key and move the mouse to select an option - the difference was that you didn't need to see your cursor, it just based the option you selected on the last direction in which you moved your mouse relative to the currently-selected option. So if you picked the top option first, and moved your mouse right, you'd have the top-right option selected - You didn't have to move an actual cursor. When you let go of the key (in this case the fire buttons), it would pick that option.

I feel as though the wheel would be much more useful if set up like that, and further if it had all of the options in one category expanding out from the wheel, rather than having to select a category and then its sub options.

Just my two cents, of course. The other thing is that people tend not to know about this stuff unless you display actual reminders or prompts that they CAN do it. Repairing, for example, was a lot more common in ye olde days when Severed had an auto prompt for it.

I still think the thing that would make Siege a lot more accessible to newcomers is to have in-game command prompts similar to what you see when starting a new modern game (Move crate [Y], Throw batarang [X], Pay respects [F] etc.)

Anyway, this is all pretty cool, and I'm sure the finished project will be interesting to see. Looking forward to it @Higor.
    Last edited by Scourge; 07-17-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    I still think the thing that would make Siege a lot more accessible to newcomers is to have in-game command prompts similar to what you see when starting a new modern game (Move crate [Y], Throw batarang [X], Pay respects [F] etc.)
    koolio idea yo

http://www.unrealkillers.com/showthr...l=1#post114730
    Check dat second pic... you even get a visual cue of where to stand inside a minishield to avoid getting sniped.
    Ok... I don't condone camping inside a minishield but it can have its uses when you're getting rid of a Super Container at VERY long ranges.

BTW, the MiniShields look WAY better when you see them spinning, as they don't use the lazy bMeshEnviroMap effect.
    Last edited by Higor; 07-20-2016 at 09:36 PM.

In the meantime I have created a movement affector system that behaves similarly to a buff/debuff system.

All items/effects compatible with said system can now fully stack together.
    Poison Guardian should no longer break the Speed item.
    So now it's possible to add other stuff like player freeze/slow and gradual dash affectors.

I'm missing a lot of icons for the other builds, this is gonna take an awful while but it's looking pretty good.
    Also need to add custom abbreviations so they match the way we actually call them.

Once you get used to this system, locating builds becomes super easy.
    I could totally get rid of a couple of binds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0026_preview3.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	3201

Forcefield as FF.
    Container X as CX.
    Super Booster as SB, Booster as B.
    Warhead as W and the other IW.
    Not sure about the special builds, nor suit... except Jetpack as JP and Super jetpack as SJP... These were the term I've heard on the server that was used.

http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript for uscript discussion.

W I have said nuke and iw we say Inuke

Quote Originally Posted by |uK|fleecey View Post
    W I have said nuke and iw we say Inuke
    I think we should use the RX7 Nuke Launcher (Edited model used in xXx's final naliweapons).... Imagine the complaints fleece!

(for those who don't know what I am waffling on about " 0:00 - 0:10 Launcher - 1:07 - 1:27 Launcher Firing. " )

Last edited by ][X][~FLuKE~][X][; 08-02-2016 at 10:18 PM.

Thread Information