User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_Stricklin View Post
    That happens when S3TC gets disabled. More often than not, your game also crashes when that happens.
    The night I told Severed about S3TC Textures our UT's looked better than ever before, and I got mine to run perfect. Woke up and it wasn't running smoth anymore some settings appeared to have been changed for both of us. =/
    Quote Originally Posted by .se\/ered.][ View Post
    OMG.. Never let anyone tell you to drop your firewall! Might as well drop you Pants and bend over!

I have links to the High-Res S3TC Textures replacements, if you want to up-grade your texture packs (including one of Creavion's awesome jungle maps).
    http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournamen...eal-tournament

*NOTE*
    You will need to enable S3TC and have the recent renderers to enjoy Creavions up-coming mapping treat.

...Ooops, have I "let a cat out of a hi-res-textured-bag?" hehe.
    Stay tuned, there is something classic, being re-build Creavion-style.

Quote Originally Posted by Neff View Post
    The night I told Severed about S3TC Textures our UT's looked better than ever before, and I got mine to run perfect. Woke up and it wasn't running smoth anymore some settings appeared to have been changed for both of us. =/
    I think I found the problem with my textures.. JAVA Exploit. I had a hijacker present on my system (from another user probably), and I had 18 infected files with this java exploit presesnt. I think it's about time I just dump JAVA completely. Tired of getting hijackers.

Quote Originally Posted by .seVered.][ View Post
    I think I found the problem with my textures.. JAVA Exploit. I had a hijacker present on my system (from another user probably), and I had 18 infected files with this java exploit presesnt. I think it's about time I just dump JAVA completely. Tired of getting hijackers.
    Everyone in IT to my knowledge is advising against having any form of Java runtime environments on your system due to security issues. Also, I haven't seen too many things that use it anymore, in fact I think it's been like 2 or 3 years since I last needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neff View Post
    Ya, I could have sworn the S3TC textures were installed with my Anthology CD of UT. But I guess not. Java is dumped from every system now and and I feel much safer.

Part of Java's security problem is the default settings are crap.
    You can tell it not to store temp files and switch on a load more security.

Recently I have also noticed that it not been updating, so no fixes had been done.
    Many peoples Java is stuck around 7.5 - 7.7
    During the big scare last week, you should have been on 7.10.
    7.11 had the fix.

In totally automatic update mode, you wouldn't know it hadn't updated.
    Windows hides icons you don't look at much and many people don't see the icon (same for the Windows Update icon).
    Automatic is great...if it works.
    Have Java notify you, if you use it. And always update immediately a notification appears.

The best way to use it if you have to, is not have it running.
    Copy an installation and un-install.
    You can then point the software that may require it (eg. Open Office) at the folder.
    You can use it in an offline way.

On a related theme.
    It occurs to me Chrome users have no way of knowing if their browser is infected or uptodate, as there is no notification available (other than the PC slowing as google updater robs half the CPU and 200+MB RAM), and so no notification if it failed.

Thread Information