PDA

View Full Version : team balance

TDNConvict
11-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Can anyone fix the team balance function on the server? Because that needs to be fixed a hell of a lot more than placing mine limits on pugs....

I can understand when teams are stacked in public server - but the team balance is completely worthless.... I really don't know how it works but if it could be changed to favor balancing for kills instead of how it balances now might help...? It kills a lot of games on there.. I try to switch teams when I can to balance but a lot of times it won't even let me and will switch me back

Also the server crashed at least 2x yesterday mid map

|uK|chiseller
11-28-2011, 02:22 PM
It's based on cookies that you can win or lose each game and other parameters which I am not aware of. It's far from perfect but better than nothing I guess. Improvements would be welcome, indeed. Nag noggin, it's his piece of code. :p

audiosonic
11-28-2011, 06:16 PM
From what I've seen it's only based on top scores, get the top score (ala rocket cannoning your way through) and you're ranked high. Then of course the next map you get fucked because you are terrible and don't justify that high ranked spot.

noggieB
11-30-2011, 09:15 PM
if it could be changed to favor balancing for kills

ScoringMethod=1
// 0=score, 1=frags, 2=average_frags_and_score (default), 3=0-100_ordered_ranking

Most of the good players don't care about balanced teams. I sometimes try but I don't make much difference. ^^

AutoTeamBalance is released under GPL so anyone can try to fix it.

But whilst it's far from perfect, I don't actually think it is the problem. I think it usually does balance quite well at the start of the game. But then Termi either leaves or joins, and teams are immediately screwed. :D

Solution? Good players use F1 and try to care.

Oh, and I almost forgot to say, Blaze is a twat.

|uK|B|aZe//.
12-01-2011, 12:47 AM
NOOB NOGGIN FIX ATB

SilverWing
12-01-2011, 09:31 AM
ScoringMethod=1
// 0=score, 1=frags, 2=average_frags_and_score (default), 3=0-100_ordered_ranking

Most of the good players don't care about balanced teams. I sometimes try but I don't make much difference. ^^

AutoTeamBalance is released under GPL so anyone can try to fix it.

But whilst it's far from perfect, I don't actually think it is the problem. I think it usually does balance quite well at the start of the game. But then Termi either leaves or joins, and teams are immediately screwed. :D

Solution? Good players use F1 and try to care.

Oh, and I almost forgot to say, Blaze is a twat.

i think the point system should be this

// 0=score, 3=frags, 2=average_frags/sec, 1=0-100_ordered_ranking

- ranking being so high could screw the teams because noobs can just make nukes and nuke like a bitch and get 1st place
- frags (kills) should be higher because that's really how you can split the noobs from the pros.
- Maybe add EFF and ACC to the ATB

noggieB
12-01-2011, 01:19 PM
SilverWing, those are 4 different scoring methods. Admins must choose one to use on their server. You cannot use a combination of them (unless you edit the source code, e.g. with Notepad). If you want to focus only on frags. then set ScoringMethod=1.

Blaze, I cannot "fix" what is not "broken". If you want to report a bug, then please do so, but be specific. "It doesn't work" is considered by programmers to be a typical tiresome noobish comment.

All these arguments about weak players doing well are just nonsense. If a player does well and destroys the enemy core and gets lots of points then he is not a weak player, by definition! And naturally, ATB considers stats from many previous games, not just the last one.

If you guys want to see what the real problem is, then type "mutate strengths" in the console right after the game starts, and then again 1 minute later. It often looks like this:

Teams are well balanced (+12 to red). [Great success ATB!]
== Game starts ==
Blaze leaves red (cba with map)
CHIMP leaves blue (mom calls him for dinner)
Terminator leaves red (attention deficit disorder)
=== The game has now been going for about 30 seconds ===
Teams are now utterly fucked (+250 to blue).

So I will repeat my suggestion to mitigate this: add an extra 10 seconds of idle time before the game starts, so that all the players can join, and so that players can decide whether or not they are going to stay, before the balance happens.

audiosonic
12-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Noggie, if you're on my team and I completly dominate the other team by killing them, covering your monkey ass to attack their core, WHO'S THE MORE VALUABLE PLAYER THEN?

|uK|Shiva
12-01-2011, 02:05 PM
no matter what you do freeze you will never be a valuable player! :P

audiosonic
12-01-2011, 02:36 PM
\/

|uK|Rays
12-01-2011, 04:04 PM
I think that extra 10 secs or so would be nice, could allow ACE to load so I can actually dodge to RU diamonds at the start of matches too, I say give it a shot.

SAM
12-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Nogg, why not have atb control game start then...like a countdown of 60 seconds after first player entry before teams are balanced and game started

TDNConvict
12-02-2011, 12:23 PM
It should be based on frags first then points/score second... if can only pick one then go with frags i've been in a lot of pub games 6v4 or 7v4 or worse basically with 2+ people getting less than 5 kills in 25+ mins

i'm not saying its going to make for completely even games but balance the frags and it would help

|uK|B|aZe//.
12-02-2011, 12:34 PM
honestly all this crying over nothing siege is a complex mod and to "balance teams" is harder then you all think it is. i bet most of you think oh just make the balancer work on frags then score and it will be ok. thats not the case weve been using this mod for 4 years now and its worked its just progressing and getting to know new as well as current players and their "rate" it will slowly define itself for each player and make better teams and games but thats in time and if people stop leaving midgame or just before the game ends because that messes up the balancer for the player doing that.

and to let you all know siege never had a team balancer before xtreme or ultimate versions with the original siege versions you just had both teams slugging it out and doing all that they could to win the game even if it meant the teams were slightly bad usually you had a fighting chance

noggieB
12-02-2011, 01:13 PM
http://neuralyte.org/~joey/ut_releases/AutoTeamBalance.u

set ScoringMethod=4
// 0=score, 1=frags, 2=average_frags_and_score, 3=0-100_ordered_ranking, 4=75%frags,25%score

Not going to make a blind bit of difference, for the reasons I've already given.

noggieB
12-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Nogg, why not have atb control game start then...like a countdown of 60 seconds after first player entry before teams are balanced and game started

Scarface, are you willing to do this but can't find the setting?

Unreal server decides when the game starts. ATB monitors that, and does balancing 1 second before. Pretty strange idea to switch duties! I think the setting is NetWait. I've tried increasing "Game Start Delay" in NexGen but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Of course, if it takes Termi a whole minute to decide he's gotta go feed his cat, this still won't really solve things. I say we do a lock-in after game-start: nobody leaves and nobody joins! :D

noggieB
12-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Noggie, if you're on my team and I completly dominate the other team by killing them, covering your monkey ass to attack their core, WHO'S THE MORE VALUABLE PLAYER THEN?

You. SmartCTF can measure this, but not yet done for Siege. Solution: play normal weapons CTF!

|uK|B|aZe//.
12-03-2011, 10:18 AM
You. SmartCTF can measure this, but not yet done for Siege. Solution: play normal weapons CTF!

ive already tried that its too easy

noggieB
12-03-2011, 09:38 PM
admin set Botpack.DeathMatchPlus NetWait 20

If that doesn't work you could try:

admin set SiegeXXL2wtf.UltraLaggyGI NetWait 20

SAM
12-05-2011, 08:20 PM
It's the former. I've just been to lazy to do it!

Will do this tomorrow and add a 30 second maybe?