PDA

View Full Version : Betrayal Gametype

Higor
05-06-2013, 08:01 PM
The project is being coded here, you can always suggest content and fixes.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2z95r9klaoqva83/MTd__wdXHz

============
This is the UT3 video, but basically explains what it is about.
A Guide To BETRAYAL (Unreal Tournament 3) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw1xYqMF1No)

Do you think it'd be a good addition to the servers?

UT-Sniper-SJA94
05-06-2013, 09:15 PM
I used to love playing that offline when i had a good pc.

|uK|chiseller
05-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Sounds fun and annoying at the same time.

Banny
05-07-2013, 01:09 AM
Lol imagine someone is double nuking with trans etc and we betray him and take all his shit.. would be funny imo but on the same time noobs are gonna rage hard on forums so as chis said would be annoying.

][X][~FLuKE~][X][
05-07-2013, 07:00 AM
omg.... imagine the rage quits if this was in siege!!...lol

good concept though, sort of thing you would play if you have a LAN party and plenty of beer, would be a good laugh OR turn into a fist fight..lol

.seVered.][
05-07-2013, 09:47 AM
[X][~FLuKE~][X][_{HoF};57146']omg.... imagine the rage quits if this was in siege!!...lol

good concept though, sort of thing you would play if you have a LAN party and plenty of beer, would be a good laugh OR turn into a fist fight..lol

Actually, Rage Quitting IS another form of betrayal.. so ... technically, we already play this game type.

SAM
05-07-2013, 03:12 PM
This is too much troll of a game type....lol

andy
05-14-2013, 03:31 PM
this looks fun :)

Higor
05-15-2013, 10:58 PM
I already started a mod project about this.
Actually, it's an open mod and the source code can be viewed at any time.
Funny enough, it's seen no interest at all from -'that other site'-'s 'community', so I might as well make this place home to this project.

Planned things:
Since the InstaGib rifle to be used needs 2 different damage types and lag compensation on both primary and alt fire, I'll be using the lag compensation core I implemented myself on Siege, the only question here is which sub-method I pick: ZP based or NN based?
Bear in mind that both have their issues and limitations.
The IG dm server would be the best place to test it, after all, there isn't much difference between betrayal and IGdm.

I'll post the links later and give write access to ppl that can contribute to it.

SAM
05-16-2013, 04:09 PM
We can host this on IG DM no problem Higor. It seems since I took the password off (oops) the server has picked up a bit. Which is the reason why I have not installed NW3 instagib yet. But I probably still will on another column. Having said that, would still welcome betrayal as test bed.

I think if you could explain the limitations between the sub methods that would be good also. And finally, if you are talking about sub method being target selection, maybe ZP would be more reliable!

Novak
05-16-2013, 07:52 PM
[;57152']Actually, Rage Quitting IS another form of betrayal.. so ... technically, we already play this game type.

I don't know about you, but when I rage quit it is retribution, not betrayal. I was the one being betrayed by a lack of teamwork lol. Plus if someone like Banny is on my team (Niven? hehe) and some new blood enters players actually step up and start taking responsibility for maintaining the base instead of being apes.

You (plural) do realize that this exchange could turn into a thread of betrayal and retribution in and of itself and perhaps break out into a forum fight. :)

.seVered.][
05-16-2013, 08:07 PM
...of betrayal and retribution

Indeed and well said. Perhaps we have Title for a Mod ..

-] Betrayal and Retribution [-

Pie
05-17-2013, 07:48 AM
I don't think I'd enjoy this much, myself. I love IG, but the whole idea of 'betrayal' definitely seems like it'd be more annoying than fun in the end.

SAM
05-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Yeah but what if that was you with a successful betrayal and you won the game ....would it be fun then ?

Novak
05-17-2013, 10:42 AM
From the video Higor posted, to me it seems that there is no need to betray one's teammates even though it is called Betrayal. Plus, you can take retribution on others who betray you and chastise them for being douche bags if that's your style. I believe there is a window for retribution after the betrayal where you can gain extra pot points or whatever, so there is that incentive for non-betrayers. Just the gametype implies that there might be some creative strategies which is something to keep in mind.

And if Higor is on your team, expect imminent betrayal.

Pie
05-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Yeah but what if that was you with a successful betrayal and you won the game ....would it be fun then ?

I feel like it would require a certain strategy to get a successful betrayal, and I suck at strategy. If I COULD achieve it, it'd be fun, but I see myself getting impatient and frustrated many times before that happens. =-P

However, if enough other people would find it fun, then it's always worth a shot. Maybe I'd enjoy it.

SAM
05-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Well Pie, you have the fallout boy on your sig...so you have played fallout I assume which is a Real Time Strategy... :P

Pie
05-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Well Pie, you have the fallout boy on your sig...so you have played fallout I assume which is a Real Time Strategy... :P

I have it, cause I played Fallout New Vegas, which is an FPS/RPG, not RTS. =-P I don't play any RTS games, cause I hella suck at strategy.

SAM
05-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Meh, what's that game like? Any good? I didn't like Fallout 3 or any by bethesda...stop playing the sequel after interplay stopped developing it. I played Fallout 3 for 5 minutes and uninstalled it since it was nothing like the previous three that I'd played or loved! RTS FTW MAN

Pie
05-17-2013, 05:12 PM
I've never played the other Fallouts, so I can't compare, but I, myself, LOVE Fallout New Vegas. Part of it is nostalgic for me though, since I'm from Vegas. I enjoy it a lot though. I like how the quests are setup, and weapons you get. I like exploring abandoned buildings vs caves and stuff like in other RPGs. So, for me, it's hella awesome, but I think it varies from person to person.

The only strategy games I like are Civ IV and Civ V, but those are turn-based, which makes a huge difference for me. SimCity is cool too, but I still suck at it, lol.

SAM
05-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Well the only thing that really happened with Bethesda was they turned it into a first person type of game whereas, interplay always did third person view.

If you want to try other fallouts let me know. It is so great. I love it. I've played all three like 10 times probably more over and over and over again....

Pie
05-17-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm not sure I could ever play the first two Fallouts. Their graphics system is too old. That top-down third person view is like Diablo. I can play Diablo like that, but that's DIABLO! Lol. Not sure I could tolerate it for Fallout. I have Fallout 3 if I ever want to try it, but I've heard from those that love New Vegas that 3 misses out on some of the things that make New Vegas great.

Higor
05-17-2013, 08:22 PM
The lag compensation method chosen qualifies as mix of ZP and NN (third method besides the Siege IG, and Minigun/PulseRifle).
Consists on using the server's old location markers, only that if the client does register a hit, the location markers will 'attract' the serverside shot (by a small amount of units) if various timing and rotation conditions are given.
This should reduce the bounced hit rate a lot on lower tickrate servers where ping is highly unstable by differences of up to 60ms, jumping between [DOSping, DOSping + 1000/serverTR + 1000/clientTR] constantly.

I'll start the team handling now (all teams made of 2 ppl each)
A few rules to apply based on player count:

Playercount
Effect

0 to 3
DM

1 team, 2 freelancers

2 teams, 1 freelancer

6 and on
(Players/2) teams, 0-2 freelancers

The ideal playercount for this gametype is around 8-14, and the map size should determine the payback counter time (bacause it's easier to payback on smaller maps).

Moko
05-18-2013, 07:47 PM
So a game type about everyday life? LoL

SAM
05-18-2013, 10:27 PM

Sounds like mojo was betrayed :-(

.seVered.][
05-19-2013, 05:29 AM

GameType ARE real life... don't you know...

Sounds like mojo was betrayed :-(

LOL Ouch, Moko is that the case?

Moko
05-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Haven't we all been betrayed *once* in our lives? Seriously guys. xD

Novak
05-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Gotta give Moko props on this one. Perhaps some Betrayal and Retribution artwork may be in the making... :applouse:

SAM
05-19-2013, 07:05 PM
How could anyone betrayal poor mojo.

Don't worry mojo. Love you long time.

Higor
05-20-2013, 08:52 PM
It's something.
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58384316/UT99/Shots/Betrayal.JPG

--- Updated ---

Teammate's skin shows in blue and his name on the side icon.
When the side icon turns red, it's because you were betrayed and have to kill the old teammate in order to regain the pot

EDIT: The numbers next to each player's name is the team code (teammates have a matching code, this is a debug setting).

UT-Sniper-SJA94
05-21-2013, 09:54 PM
:D

Higor
05-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Updated the notes and most of the code on the link.
That thing over there will build a semi-functional version of betrayal with default scoreboard, no-payback support and no extra bonuses per kill.

The skin changer, HUD and Rifle are already pretty much done.

Higor
05-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Weapon > 99%
Lag compensator > 99%
Team logic > 100%
HUD > 50% (spectators can't see a player's pot or teammate)
ScoreBoard > 1% (debug scoreboard in use, can't visualize betray count)
Message System > 15% (Betrayed and Retribution messages displayed, no sound.
Bot support > 0%
BotZ support > 90% (requires unreleased stuff)
Scoring logic > 60% (only time limit victory, no special bonuses for killing certain players)
Inventory > 100% (Boots and non-armor powerups optional via INI settings, mutators can add new 'Betrayal' specific inventory).

Game is playable under specific conditions.
I'd already release an alpha or test it privately.

Higor
05-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Regarding the BotZ, now i remember why after 6 or so years of development, I had never launched an instagib game against those bastards.
My eff% ratio barely reaches 12% :miserable:

PD: Some BotZ are more prone that others to betray.
Some will betray with a pot of 3-5, others will wait to 40.

SAM
05-25-2013, 06:30 AM
Can't use console on this gametype....look into that please at some point!