PDA

View Full Version : RE: iCTF Backshoot mod?

Chamberly
11-27-2015, 07:04 PM
Installing mods to prevent these things wouldn't work

I got an idea. Not available on all map but can be edited to work with a few maps as far my idea goes.

-The mod will start as map being loaded, it should locate the flag.
-It will not warn anyone for backshooting as long flag are taken or fallen on a ground somewhere.
-It will warn whoever is backshooting when flag are not taken. So let's go into detail here.
--Find player's aim direction or shoot direction with a tracefire vs location of the flag on the map.
--If the player is shooting in the direction toward OFFENSE, it won't warn.
--If the player is shooting 50/50 from either side HOME vs OFFENSE, no warn.
--If the player is shooting in the direction toward HOME as detecting player pass by (handshake agreement), it will warn.

Mod will do the following:
Warn the player in mid of the screen or do a popup featuring Nexgen popup screen.
Report via IRC: %P% was backshooting against %o% <Map, Time, Date, Server>
If warn happen to do more than 5 times, the mod will "kick" player. This is only a kick, not a ban. You can reconnect.
-This is also reported on IRC.
If warn happen to do more than 10 times (counting previous history on said player with player info), the mod will give a 1 match ban for rest of the map.
-This is also reported on IRC.

... Now that will only be temp and accurate on maps such as AndAction and Woot for example... but with maps that have different direction vs sense of flag direction this will be harder and may need a implementation to add key to the map via add-on (View ferbotz for reference on how they can use pathnodes separately from map's pathnode or use map with no pathnodes)...

Had to take this here because I didn't wanna hijack another thread.

TimTim
11-27-2015, 07:33 PM
I thought about implementing a counter type thing to log how many times people backshoot along with whatever the current situation is (flags taken, how far away from flags, etc.) without taking any kind of automated action against them. It's probably not worth the effort, but it'd be a fun little project/learning experience for you Chamberly.

Chamberly
11-27-2015, 07:57 PM
Could be the core start of the mod. :)

|uK|B|aZe//.
11-28-2015, 08:53 AM
sounds good but wouldnt this require even more resources from the server?

HakunaMatata
11-28-2015, 12:17 PM
Could be the core start of the mod. :)

good!, it would be good for the players, because lately I see that playing against, or experienced players, many prefer to camp in the enemy base upon which any member takes the flag to return to its base. Apart from this, many players make backshooting near the flag or near the middle of the map.
There are many promising players, many with skills necessary for successful ICTF, HOWEVER it depends on communication or chemistry between players on the same side. This good ideas to raise the standard of team play are implemented

Chamberly
11-28-2015, 12:19 PM
sounds good but wouldnt this require even more resources from the server?

Which mod/mutator doesn't?

The one discussing here is less than newnet's resource useage. But bit more than admin alert. If I am comparing it right.

Now if you are thinking about the resource it use to make more download, not bad as NN & Siege large downloads but it can be a server-side mod only... as from what I'm thinking.

'Zac
11-28-2015, 12:46 PM
i mean its just a bunch of numbers being calculated, probably a simulated proxy so it shouldnt be that bad at all

WeeDMaN
11-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Might be hard to implement something like this because can't really tell when its a legit back shoot or not. Some backshot to cover the flag carrier, or back shoot someone who is constantly back shooting them. Like me let's use PeK as a example if I know he is going to back shoot me everytime he passes me I definitely ain't going to just let him kill me I am going to turn & kill him especially if they keep doing it to me.

UT-Sniper-SJA94
11-30-2015, 11:27 AM
Like me let's use PeK as a example if I know he is going to back shoot me everytime he passes me I definitely ain't going to just let him kill me I am going to turn & kill him especially if they keep doing it to me

The trick is, is to be on his team, and constantly boost him, as well as trying to team kill him.

Chamberly
11-30-2015, 03:31 PM
can't really tell when its a legit back shoot or not.

This is why I mentioned in the first post, that it will mostly work on maps that is nothing but a box like Woot or andaction.

& For other map that have different direction that is set up, this require some kind of more in-dept technical workaround such as using a native workaround for complex set up. Which I call a reference to Ferbotz for example and nodes for direction setting with the codes within that.

frog
01-01-2016, 01:42 AM
Might be hard to implement something like this because can't really tell when its a legit back shoot or not. Some backshot to cover the flag carrier, or back shoot someone who is constantly back shooting them. Like me let's use PeK as a example if I know he is going to back shoot me everytime he passes me I definitely ain't going to just let him kill me I am going to turn & kill him especially if they keep doing it to me.
agrea with this example but pek isnt the only one many players we pass them they turn back they see we are not turning back or firing but they backshoot us so this mod is a good idea but on maps like and action pure action woot joust long v... it will be impossible to see if people are backshooting for cover or because they spawn in ennemy base
so only demo rec on bleak duku broken control favorited by ass runners

Chamberly
01-01-2016, 02:03 AM
it will be impossible to see if people are backshooting for cover or because they spawn in ennemy base

So here I see peoples are not fully reading the description on how things can be handled.

frog
01-01-2016, 01:56 PM
i ve read all your original post with your "idea" i just tell u why it could be impossible to give a sense to such mod now if u want to lose times to make this enjoy and have fun cheers ;)